Windows 10: Can I dual-boot Win 10 with Win 10?

Discus and support Can I dual-boot Win 10 with Win 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Win 10 system is flakey in several minor ways; it's also overloaded with apps. I'd like to start fresh, with a clean install on an SSD, port over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Newmaven, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Newmaven Win User

Can I dual-boot Win 10 with Win 10?

My Win 10 system is flakey in several minor ways; it's also overloaded with apps. I'd like to start fresh, with a clean install on an SSD, port over the apps I actually use, then gradually check out the other apps to see which are worth keeping on the new drive.

Can I dual-boot my old drive and new, each with Win 10? Will I need a second license for Win 10 if I do?

:)

Newmaven, Dec 11, 2017

2. Dual boot with win 10 upgrade using win 10 pro license?

I understand the the win 10 upgrade is an overwrite of the existing OS (which is win 7 sp2 for me). Can I buy the win 10 pro license as an upgrade to the win 10 upgrade? then download the upgrade and create a dual boot with the existing win 7? What is the
    procedure for dual boot?

thank you,

win 7 home sp2

i7

16gb

HotmailShawn, Dec 11, 2017
  3. Dual boot installation?

I currently dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 on my Dell PC. I want to do the clean install of Win 10 on the Win 8 partition. My question is will it affect the Win 7 partition and will I be able to dual boot win 7 and Win 10?

Thanks,

Brian

Sportsdadmi39, Dec 11, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

Not really sure, there's debate on this but if you use it temporarily so you can get rid of the old Windows then I don't see why not.

Here's what I do.
    • Create a partition or use partition on another disk, format as NTFS. Let's assume the new partition has letter D:
    • With your installation USB/DVD plugged in. Let's assume it has letter E:
    • Open Admin command prompt and type:
      dism.exe /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\Sources\install.wim =====> To find out the index # for your Windows edition. EX: 8 is Windows 10 Pro
      dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:E:\Sources\install.wim /index:8 /ApplyDirCan I dual-boot Win 10 with Win 10? :D:\ ===> Use correct index # for your Windows Edition
    • Once done, type: bcdboot D:\Windows
    • Reboot. You should have a dual boot menu. The new Windows installtion should go thru the settings etc....

NOTE: some ISO has install.esd instead of install.wim so if you get error message then use install.esd.

topgundcp, Dec 11, 2017
  5. Newmaven Win User
    I got Win 10 as the free upgrade from Win 7, and I don't recall getting a CD or DVD. Can I download it?

Newmaven, Dec 11, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Download Windows 10

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I dual-boot Win 10 with Win 10? - Similar Threads - dual boot

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dual boot: My current laptop is a dell inspiron 3521 and it is about 12 years old nowit had come preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and all the drivers were working properlyafter moving to windows 10 my amd gpu hasn't ever workedCan i dual boot with windows 8.1 and windows 10 installedwill...
  6. Windows dual boot

Windows dual boot: My current laptop is a dell inspiron 3521 and it is about 12 years old nowit had come preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and all the drivers were working properlyafter moving to windows 10 my amd gpu hasn't ever workedCan i dual boot with windows 8.1 and windows 10 installedwill...
  7. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  8. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  9. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. How to Dual boot Windows with another OS, while keeping the TPM reserved for windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Dual boot Windows with another OS, while keeping the TPM reserved for windows: I like to mess around with different operating systems, but for convenience, I often return to Windows regularly.It would really help me to set up a Dual boot on my Main PC with Windows and Arch Linux so i can mess with diffrend Operating systems Via Distro box or similar...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual boot win 10 and win 10