Windows 10: Can I enable my laptop to use 1 GPU for everything? (Laptop has 2)

Discus and support Can I enable my laptop to use 1 GPU for everything? (Laptop has 2) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello *Smile Recently I've discovered that my laptop has two graphic cards: - AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 I'm pretty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Julesrowland, May 16, 2017.

1. Can I enable my laptop to use 1 GPU for everything? (Laptop has 2)

Hello *Smile
    Recently I've discovered that my laptop has two graphic cards:
    - AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series
    - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    I'm pretty sure that games have been using the Intel GPU, as my laptop's been underperforming.
    I read online that my laptop has 2 GPU's to save power, but I really don't care about that since I almost always have my laptop plugged in when gaming. My question is, is there a way to make my laptop use the AMD GPU for everything I do on it?

Thank you in advance *Cool

:)

Julesrowland, May 16, 2017
  2. codecore Win User

Creator's Update defaults to iGPU, and Multi Monitor is hosed.

1. Updated to CU.

2. Multi Monitor sees three monitors: [1|3] {2} and [6]. I only have a laptop and a HP w2207h HDMI external. Only laptop is active, and using Intel GPU. Before update, it used NVidia GPU. Yes, I installed NVidia driver 381.65

3. Multiple displays options are: Duplicate desktop on 1 and 3, Extend desktop on 1 and 3 (laptop screen becomes extended screen, and external monitor remains black), Show only 1, Show only 3.

4. Total Annihilation no longer works, even when configured to use NVidia GPU.

codecore, May 16, 2017
  3. TrevorC24 Win User
    Can I use the same license key for my laptop that I bought for my other computer to do a clean install of Windows 10?

Original title: Windows Product Key

I just recently bought Windows 10 for my PC and I have a laptop that also has Windows 10 on it. I got the free upgrade to 10 for the laptop. The laptop is having some issues so I want to do a fresh install of Windows. My question is, can I use the same license
    key for my laptop that I bought for my other computer?

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!

TrevorC24, May 16, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Can I enable my laptop to use 1 GPU for everything? (Laptop has 2)

5. On my ASUS K75DE Laptop its done in Catalyst Control Center. I have a AMD Radeon HD 7660G + 7670M 1GB DDR3 VRAM. There is no BIOS setting to lock in one or the other. Not that I can find anyway. The BIOS on it is pretty basic and restricted.

alphanumeric, May 16, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    On you rig, in the Catalyst Control Center don't you have to specify it on a game by game (or program by program) basis? And, if so, have you tested it to ensure it actually works because some have reported not having complete success in that area. Also, I hesitate to disclude all manufacturers from providing an option in the BIOS to discretely select a unique graphics card... even though the normal choices might just be integrated or switchable.

7. I just leave it on the defaults. I don't game on my laptop. I just know that's where you change which one is used on my laptop. For me its basically as follows, on battery its the 7660G and when plugged in its the 7670M. And i'm fine with that. I'd have to go have a look see, to see if there is a global setting. I'm on my desktop PC at the moment and my laptop is all packed away in its carry bag. If I get a chance latter on I'll have a look.

8. WOT
    WOT Win User

OK, thank you for your detailed response. Sounds like you are using it at defaults; however, I think you can force it to switch by game or program. Unfortunately I don't have a switchable graphics laptop to test myself. Thank you for your intent to follow up with your results.

regards,

9. Yes, I can set it to use a specific GPU for a specific program/game in Catalyst Control Center. I'm lucky in that my setup is AMD/AMD. And not Intel/AMD or Intel/NVidia. The mixed GPU types can be tricky to setup the way you want them.

10. WOT
    WOT Win User
    OK, then maybe the OP can use your method to select the specific games or programs; however, as you have stated, the mixed Intel/AMD solutions do not always work that well so I would still like to see what options are available in the BIOS.

11. Helmut Win User
    In general, no you can't as there is common hardware to both GPUs in a Laptop.

It is not the same hardware arrangement as a desktop with a separate Graphics Card, that has two sets of outputs one for the integrated Intel HD graphics, and another set for the installed PCI-E Graphics Card.

The M series of Graphics Cards main point is low power consumption as they are in Laptops, that also results in less performance than the Desktop variant.

Here is a comparison between Nvidia's Optimus and AMD's Dynamic switchable graphics, this is for Notebooks and M chipsets (Desktop users note....).
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Dy...s.64378.0.html
    That dates from 2011

A summary is basically, the integrated GPU is used by default in cases when the application is not recognized.

Helmut, May 16, 2017
  12. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that that won't work since its intel/AMD. But I will try that if the BIOS doesn't give me any option.
    BIOS
    InsydeH2O Version V1.17
    Version
    Acer V1.17
    Manufacturer
    Acer

That's my BIOS info. I've also included a screenshot of the summary.
    Can I enable my laptop to use 1 GPU for everything? (Laptop has 2) [​IMG]

13. Can I enable my laptop to use 1 GPU for everything? (Laptop has 2)

In my case its an APU (CPU and GPU in the same package) and a dedicated mobile GPU. My 7660G is in my A-10 APU and my 7670M in on the motherboard. They share the HDMI out jack. That's why they call it switchable. *Wink

14. I did do this, and I set the global settings to max performance. But as you stated, it might not fully work because the GPU's are of two different brands. I'll go see now if my FPS has increased because of this.

15. Helmut Win User
    Further read up on that type of model implies that it is permanently set to the AMD Graphics Card. I leave you to research that one in detail.
    So it appears that is it.

Helmut, May 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Can I enable my laptop to use 1 GPU for everything? (Laptop has 2) - Similar Threads - enable laptop GPU

2. Laptop has 2 webcams but utilizes only 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop has 2 webcams but utilizes only 1: My laptop has the following configuration of cameras:My laptop is an HP Elitebook x360 1040 G5 and runs on Windows 11, fully supported.The problem is that when I turn on the camera app, only the left one of the two webcams work In the picture, 3rd one in order from the left....
  3. Laptop has 2 webcams but utilizes only 1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop has 2 webcams but utilizes only 1: My laptop has the following configuration of cameras:My laptop is an HP Elitebook x360 1040 G5 and runs on Windows 11, fully supported.The problem is that when I turn on the camera app, only the left one of the two webcams work In the picture, 3rd one in order from the left....
  4. 2 Monitor, 2 User, 1 Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Monitor, 2 User, 1 Laptop: I currently have the following setup: One laptop with an additional monitor setup set to duplicate Screen. So the screen on the laptop and the screen on the monitor display the same image.I want to make it so that, With additional keyboards and mice, Make one user work on the...
  5. 2 Monitor, 2 User, 1 Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 Monitor, 2 User, 1 Laptop: I currently have the following setup: One laptop with an additional monitor setup set to duplicate Screen. So the screen on the laptop and the screen on the monitor display the same image.I want to make it so that, With additional keyboards and mice, Make one user work on the...
  6. Onn 2 in 1 laptop has the blue screen of death

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Onn 2 in 1 laptop has the blue screen of death: I have an Onn 2 in 1 laptop, I purchased at Walmart over a year ago. It was working just fine I use it every day for work. On June 9 there was an update for the computer so I went and updated it but now anytime you open it, it shows the sad face with the blue screen and I...
  7. Can I Connect 2 same bluetooth keypads on 1 laptop?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I Connect 2 same bluetooth keypads on 1 laptop?: My goal is to use 2 same bluetooth keypads in 1 laptop. Since I use all the keys for Macros on one keypad, it is hard to use numbers. Can I Connect 2 same bluetooth keypads on 1 laptop? Will it interfere each other? I found out there is different serial codes per keypad...
  8. If I Enable 2 cores in my laptop it will increase speed of my laptop?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    If I Enable 2 cores in my laptop it will increase speed of my laptop?: If I Enable 2 cores in my laptop it will increase the speed of my laptop? [ATTACH][ATTACH] So please tell if I enable 2 cores in my cpu it will increase speed of my laptop? I am on Dell Iprision 15...
  9. I have 2 GPU's on my laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have 2 GPU's on my laptop: [ATTACH] hello, sorry in advance if my English isn't good. I've just bought a laptop with NVIDIA GPU so I could do some graphic work more efficiently.anyway, the laptop arrived today and I noticed I also have 'Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics' installed. when using the...
  10. Can i have 2 windows license on 1 Laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can i have 2 windows license on 1 Laptop: I have windows 10 license which is available on my laptop linked to my email id I believe , But Situation is I need to Format this System Install Windows 10 License provided by organisation for few weeks and then after completion of the time period i need to reinstall my...