Windows 10: Can I Extend directory when not enough space on HDD.

Discus and support Can I Extend directory when not enough space on HDD. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I'm sure there's a way of doing this in Windows - perhaps symbolic links or whatever but I've totally forgotten how to do it or if it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, May 2, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Can I Extend directory when not enough space on HDD.

Hi there

I'm sure there's a way of doing this in Windows - perhaps symbolic links or whatever but I've totally forgotten how to do it or if it's even possible.

In Linux say I've only 5 GB left in the / directory ( the main / is the root directory top level) and need to create a 50 GB directory say /database which must be on the root directory. The application needs it to be on the root directory (/) -- don't ask me why -- I didn't write the application !!!!!

I can easily do this by creating the directory say on my /home/data directory and then using a BIND mount .

So I create an entry /database in the root and one in the home directory which has oodles of space on it /home/jim/data/database. This home directory can also be on a totally different HDD as well. Then link the 2 with the mount bind command

mount --bind /database /home/jim/data/database. (effectively mount --bind /olddir /newddir).

Then everything the system needs to read / write to /database gets read / written to /home/jim/data/database

Saves messing about and re-creating the system when just testing a largish database type application.

Is there a similar system in Windows -- I don't want to keep creating new VM's for this type of stuff when it's essentially 1-off testing.

Thanks to any Windows gurus out there who can suggest a decent solution.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 2, 2017
  2. MrMikekc Win User

how to create partition in windows 10

I have only 100 m b of unallocated space showing.. That s not enough space for a new operating system to fit on. Can I shrink or extend to get enough space?

MrMikekc, May 2, 2017
  3. JohnLiem Win User
    Could not update the system reserved partition

Hello Johne Smith,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I've installed the AOMEI software and try to extend the System Reserved Partition, unfortunately it failed, because there is not enough space on the disk. This a SSD disk. So I have to replace the SSD to the original HDD
    and install the update. After this I have cloned the HDD to the SSD again.

Best regards,

John Liem

JohnLiem, May 2, 2017
  4. roy111 Win User

Hi Jimbo

maybe I can help (not a windows guru or a guru but faced similar problems)
    but it's not clear what you are trying to do, is windows in a virtual machine?
    if not you may use "disk managment" to extend the disk and do other management
    stuff ...

roy111, May 2, 2017
  5. roy111 Win User
    another idea, if windows is a kvm virtual machine
    you can resize the disk image:

man qemu-img

resize

roy111, May 2, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    the problem is that the HDD is nearly full so can't be extended --if it were a VM it is easy enough to do - but the BIND type of idea seems the best as once I've done the testing I could just delete the DB file, and when I want a new one / test just re-bind to any other HDD and away I go again on the same machine !!!

I did think of kvm but I'm on a REAL machine at the moment -- re-installing Windows again is a pain as I would then need to re-jig a whole slew of HDD's -- a lot of effort for minimal pain.

I might though run a Windows VM on a Linux host --that would get round the problem - but doing intensive DB tests where you need to get access to physical reads, writes and HDD performance a VM isn't the best vehicle for that.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 2, 2017
  7. roy111 Win User
    Ok so you need another disk (obviously) an i heard you can mount
    a disk as a dir in windows file system

How to Mount a Hard Drive as a Folder on Your Windows PC

now we wait the guru for the "mount bind" equivalent for windows

in the mean time i give you an idea to make some REAL DAMAGE
    not testes at all, **you know better** if it can work:

rename the database folder BEFORE mounting the new disk: database1

mount the new disk in a new "database" folder

copy database1 content into database dir (the new empty disk with full space) could it work?

good luck

roy111, May 2, 2017
  8. Pyprohly Win User

Jimbo45, you said it yourself: symbolic links. Use the command prompt’s mklink command to create them.

Pyprohly, May 2, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Thanks

It was so long ago that I used those I'd forgotten all about them or if they even existed.

Problem solved.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I Extend directory when not enough space on HDD. - Similar Threads - Extend directory enough

2. Windows 10 'There is not enough space available' when attempting to extend volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 'There is not enough space available' when attempting to extend volume: BackgroundLenovo 700-15ISK Laptop ideapad - Type 80RU Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.2130 64 bitI have two disks, I'm trying to extend the space on Disk 1Steps to reproduceI originally had 687.82 GB Healthy Partition on Disk 1, no idea what that was used for. Maybe I previously...
  3. Windows 10 'There is not enough space available' when attempting to extend volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 'There is not enough space available' when attempting to extend volume: BackgroundLenovo 700-15ISK Laptop ideapad - Type 80RU Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.2130 64 bitI have two disks, I'm trying to extend the space on Disk 1Steps to reproduceI originally had 687.82 GB Healthy Partition on Disk 1, no idea what that was used for. Maybe I previously...
  4. Windows 10 'There is not enough space available' when attempting to extend volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Not enough space"

"Not enough space": I'm trying to download a file, but it always says something like "There isn't enough space" even though I have tons of storage left. I've scanned the file and used 2 different antivirus software to scan my computer McAffee and malwarebytes and there is no problems with my...
  6. Not enough storage space despite enough storage space?

Not enough storage space despite enough storage space?: Hello, I have upgraded from on my PC from HDD to M2 ssd so cloned and cloned everything to the m2. Even Windows. For this I have connected an external ssd on which I want to load more games now the ext. SSD has 650gb free memory but it shows is origin, uplay or steam in...
  7. Not Enough Space?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not Enough Space?: Hello, I recently started using a new laptop computer that has Windows 10 on it. But now it is telling me it needs to be updated to a newer version of Windows 10. But when I try to install it, my computer says there isn't enough space on it to install the new version of...
  8. "Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.

"Not enough space on" ... when there's enough space.: Getting a very strange error when trying to copy a file onto a drive: [ATTACH] Looks like there's enough space to me... halp. :P https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-enough-space-on-when-theres-enough-space/c484ca99-4210-4ee7-8d07-d66ad4843183"
  9. Not enough space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Not enough space: Hi to all...I have 2 drives in my computer and the C drive is nearly full, it has a capacity of 117gb, my D drive capacity is 911gb. I have just reinstalled windows and a few other progs and it is nearly full only 19gb free now, while the D drive is just about empty. can I...
  10. Not enough space

in Windows 10 Support
    Not enough space: Hi to all...I have 2 drives in my computer and the C drive is nearly full, it has a capacity of 117gb, my D drive capacity is 911gb. I have just reinstalled windows and a few other progs and it is nearly full only 19gb free now, while the D drive is just about empty. can I...