Windows 10: Can I folder/file share across subnets

Discus and support Can I folder/file share across subnets in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sorry if I have the wrong terminology.... I have a router set up with subnets as in 192.168.1.xxx 192.168.2.xxx and all was well when I was using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by careh, Dec 15, 2015.

1. careh Win User

Can I folder/file share across subnets

Sorry if I have the wrong terminology....

I have a router set up with subnets as in 192.168.1.xxx 192.168.2.xxx and all was well when I was using Win 7. I could have a file server PC with a static I/P of 192.168.2.25 and on it set some folders to share - everyone - read only. I could Map Network Drive to it from a PC on the 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.2.xxx networks.

I gradually switched the PC's to Win 10 and file sharing continued to work - but when I switched the file server PC to Win 10 - the file sharing broke. I got it partially back by setting up an account on the file share PC that I can use from other computers on the 192.168.2.xx network to 'login' to it - thus giving those pc's access to the files. But I cannot ping or otherwise access the 192.168.2.25 computer from the 192.168.1.xxx network.

:)

careh, Dec 15, 2015

2. Windows 10 Updates Delete Windows Firewall Settings

I have a reasonable number of computers being managed. All are Windows 10 Pro, some 32-bit and mostly 64-bit.

All are using the Windows firewall.

We share files across subnets and need firewall rules in File and Printer Sharing to allow access via Remote Address IP scope entries.

These, and perhaps other settings appear to be deleted when the Windows updates are installed.

It's a lot of work to reconfigure.

We also use WMI for SIEM across subnets. Same sort of thing....

I figure this is most likely a bug. How to report it?

FredMarshall, Dec 15, 2015
  3. Infinite Loop - Homegroup - should it be this hard???

One of the machines is on a domain, probably why I cannot share through homegroup? I can share files/folders across the network though.

GautamBanerjea, Dec 15, 2015
Thema:

Can I folder/file share across subnets

1. Can I folder/file share across subnets - Similar Threads - folder file share

2. Routing WS-Discovery across subnets

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Routing WS-Discovery across subnets: I want to route WS-Discovery across subnets, What protocols and ports do I need to enable or configure. And do I need to enable multicast routing. I using Cisco 2801 routers with IOS 15.1. Any help would be appreciated, I figure since you guy's created WS-Discovery, you...
  3. How To Share Pictures Folder Across the Lan?

How To Share Pictures Folder Across the Lan?: I have shared my e: drive okay but when I tried to set 'pictures' to shared it didn't work. The folder doesn't show up. Would it be because I didn't select any specific users? I didn't do that with the e: drive either and it didn't matter. And while I"m here I might ask...
  4. sharing folders across Users

sharing folders across Users: Windows 10 I used to prev PC be able to access a folder on C:\Users\David\Desktop from a shortcut on C:\Users\Ben\Desktop. David is the Admin. Now I can't. I added Admin Rights to Users/Ben but that didn't work. When I bring up the Shortcut on Ben's Desktop, and...
  5. Sharing a Folder across Users

Sharing a Folder across Users: I used to be able but I can’t now: make a shortcut on a second user’s Desktop referencing a folder on the primary User’s Desktop. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-a-folder-across-users/3e8581f2-bb06-4e40-bba3-58be71eff3b5
  6. Share files across machines

Share files across machines: Again - if there is a good resource please point me to it - We have three computers, a main one and two laptops. We want store all the data on the main one. Without using OneDrive (since it seems to crash too often) - How can I have a laptop access the main computer hard...
  7. How to share folder across for computers on a network

How to share folder across for computers on a network: We have gotten a MyBook for shared file access in our office, how can we provide full permissions to all users in the office? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-share-folder-across-for-computers-on-a/ae610736-ac18-4c5f-b109-97f4af526018"
  8. File Sharing Across Two PC's

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Sharing Across Two PC's: I have what I hope is a simple question. BUT, first, my setup: I have two PC's, connected by an ethernet cable. So as to not get too complicated, I use those PC's with ONE mouse and ONE keyboard using Mouse Without Borders, a FANTASTIC program that is working well....
  9. How can I share folders and files across my Home Network?

How can I share folders and files across my Home Network?: I have 3 windows 10 devices in my network (1 PC and 2 Laptops). To the best of my knowledge and ability, they are configured exactly the same. I am the owner of all the folders/files. Device A (PC) can see device B but can't access it. Device A (PC) can see device C, can...
  10. sharing netbios without password across subnets

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sharing netbios without password across subnets: I have shared files between 2 laptops on my homenetwork (1 subnet) without password. I have read netbios can also share across subnets if you place a hostfile with the mapping hostname-ipnr on the client. My question is, if bios can share across subnets, isn't it dangerous...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network drive with shared folders in 3 subnets