Windows 10: Can I have Windows 10 automatically restart my computer regularly?

Discus and support Can I have Windows 10 automatically restart my computer regularly? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I have a laptop running Windows 10 that is on and online 24/7. I would like to restart this PC automatically on a regular basis, for example... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hoggorm, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Hoggorm Win User

Can I have Windows 10 automatically restart my computer regularly?

Hello!

I have a laptop running Windows 10 that is on and online 24/7. I would like to restart this PC automatically on a regular basis, for example every Friday night at 2 AM

Is this possible somehow, either with Windows itself or with a standalone software?

:)

Hoggorm, Jun 21, 2016

2. How can I make my computer restart automatically everyday? Windows 10.

Hi David,

You can use the Task Scheduler to shutdown, restart or perform any action at one time or periodically. To do so, you may follow the steps below:

1. To make your computer shut down at a particular time, type taskschd.msc in start search and hit Enter to open the Task Scheduler.

2. In the right panel, click on Create Basic Task.

3. Give it a name and a description if you wish and click Next.

4. When asked When do you want the task to start, select what you want. Click Next.

5. Select the Start date and time.

6. Clicking Next will bring you to the Action page. Here select Start a program and click Next.

7. Type shutdown on the Program/script space and /s /f /t 0 in the Add arguments box. If you want the shutdown to commence after say 60 sec, type 60 instead of 0 here.

8. Click Next to review all and finally click Finish. Your computer will shutdown at the designated day and time.

Take not that in a CMD window, you may run shutdown /? to see all the available switches. To schedule restarts, you need to use the /r parameter instead of the /s parameter. To log off the current user use /l.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jenicel Dri, Jun 21, 2016
  3. How can I make my computer restart automatically everyday? Windows 10.

We would like to check if you already tried the suggested steps above and how was it, does it answer your concern?

Let us know if you need anything else.

Jenicel Dri, Jun 21, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Yes you can, but why would you want to abuse your laptop like that?

bro67, Jun 22, 2016
  5. Hoggorm Win User
    The laptop in question is an an older one with one purpose in life only, and that is to run a small software and feed some data to a website.

I see that this computer sometimes stops working as it should. I do not know if it is caused by the laptop itself (since it is rather old) or if it is caused by the feeding software that is running. Anyway I'd like to see if restarting the computer from time to time stops, or limits, the problem.

Why is it abuse to a laptop to restart it anyway?

Hoggorm, Jun 22, 2016
  6. Gayle Win User
    In Windows, you can open the Task Scheduler to create a scheduled task to perform the restart.
    To restart, run the following command/script at the command prompt:
    Code: shutdown /r[/quote] Learn more about shutdown command:
    Shutdown

Gayle, Jun 22, 2016
  7. msny Win User
    Heres a video on how to do it.

Using task scheduler Automatically shutdown or restart computer - YouTube

8. Hoggorm Win User

Thank you! I followed the video and hope my laptop restarts itself this night *Smile

Hoggorm, Jun 22, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Depending on the age and how it was used, restarting it from Standby can cause it to have a part fail, or even just go down. Depending on how the code was written, you could always use a SBC (Small Board Computer (ie Raspberry Pi)) to do the code upload. The plus side is that you are not using as much electricity as the laptop uses.

bro67, Jun 23, 2016
  10. The Pi has a much smaller foot print too, when run headless. It will automatically boot up again on a power failure too.

lol, most of the time the complaints are, how do I stop Windows 10 from rebooting when I don't want it to, not how do I make it do it on purpose.

alphanumeric, Jun 23, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    Tell me about it Alpha. There is that setting in Updates to delay the reboot after updates.

Microsoft needs to get rid of the whole reboot after updates. Even Linux has gotten rid of it with the Kernels, since they know that at some point the user will have to shut down or place the machine in a sleep state.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I have Windows 10 automatically restart my computer regularly? - Similar Threads - automatically restart computer

2. computer restarting automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer restarting automatically: Its insane whenever I do something on my machine it will restart automatically. I need a big help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-restarting-automatically/fef284e1-a06e-4c7a-b284-e73edba6456b
  3. computer restarting automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer restarting automatically: Its insane whenever I do something on my machine it will restart automatically. I need a big help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-restarting-automatically/fef284e1-a06e-4c7a-b284-e73edba6456b
  4. computer restarting automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. if i restart my computer will it automatically upgrade to windows 11?]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    if i restart my computer will it automatically upgrade to windows 11?]: sorry, i am a new windows user, and i am confusedi saw a message at the bottom right saying upgrade to windows 11 is ready for your pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-restart-my-computer-will-it-automatically/75fb3b7a-ada5-4fd7-bf32-d30600fa1157
  6. if i restart my computer will it automatically upgrade to windows 11?]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    if i restart my computer will it automatically upgrade to windows 11?]: sorry, i am a new windows user, and i am confusedi saw a message at the bottom right saying upgrade to windows 11 is ready for your pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-restart-my-computer-will-it-automatically/75fb3b7a-ada5-4fd7-bf32-d30600fa1157
  7. if i restart my computer will it automatically upgrade to windows 10?]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    if i restart my computer will it automatically upgrade to windows 10?]: sorry, i am a new windows user, and i am confused https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-restart-my-computer-will-it-automatically/75fb3b7a-ada5-4fd7-bf32-d30600fa1157
  8. I cannot have computer restart automatically due to updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cannot have computer restart automatically due to updates: How can I stop automatic restart associated with updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-have-computer-restart-automatically-due/7c6f20cf-6645-4aac-a0fb-d661451cbfdd
  9. computer restarted automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer restarted automatically: here is the text from event log can anyone tell what could have caused it Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 29-10-2020 10.27.59 AM Event ID: 41 Task Category: 63 Level: Critical Keywords:...
  10. Computer automatically restarts.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer automatically restarts.: Hi All. I would very much appreciate some help on this one. I am having an intermittent issue where my computer restarts while I am in the middle of something. I would appreciate some help in knowing on how to problem solve this issue and where can I begin to look. Many...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How can I make my computer restart automatically everyday? Windows 10.

2. how to make laptoprestart regularly

3. regularly scheduled automatic restarts Win 10

4. reboot windows 10 regularly