Windows 10: Can I install from my phone in mass storage mode?

Discus and support Can I install from my phone in mass storage mode? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I can't find my 32 GB flash thumb drive but I want to install Windows 10 on a computer in a few days. My Android phone can act as a mass storage device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by THX1138, Oct 6, 2016.

1. THX1138 Win User

Can I install from my phone in mass storage mode?

I can't find my 32 GB flash thumb drive but I want to install Windows 10 on a computer in a few days. My Android phone can act as a mass storage device so I was wondering whether I could get the computer to boot from and install Windows 10 from that.

:)

THX1138, Oct 6, 2016
  2. CJLim Win User

URGENT - N96 - Ovi Maps problem

Scooby is quite right. The hard reset on the N96 does not format the mass storage. That is why, any applications installed on the mass storage become ghost spplications because they are still in the mass storage but the link from the phone to those applications
    are broken. Sometimes after the reset the phone will give you the option to reinstall from the mass storage but not always.

I think I used to manually reformat the mass storage after the hard reset anyway and then reinstall all applications from scratch. Maybe thats why my N96 is still working in tip top condition.

CJLim, Oct 6, 2016
  3. Can't connect Nokia X6 to PC in mass storage mode

Hello dear friends. I am facing a problem in Nokia X6 8GB. When I connect my phone to PC, usually there comes a list of 4 options(Ovi suite, Mass Storage, Image Transfer, Media Transfer). And i could connect phone to PC in all modes. But now, when I connect
    my phone to PC in mass storage mode, it automatically switches to ovi suite! I can't connect it in mass storage mode Can I install from my phone in mass storage mode? :(. But I can access mass storage when I connect my phone in Ovi suite mode. And I can copy files to and from mass storage. But I can't connect
    in mass storage mode. What might be the reason. Pls say ur valuable opinions and answers...

(I have already did formating many times(both mass storage and phone). But still the problem exists)

Justin_Joseph, Oct 6, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

That would need the Computer to "see" the phone at Boot as a USB Drive , so only testing will tell , would be easier to buy a 8GB USB2 Drive and use it I think , and just keep it in a Drawer to use in Emergencies when the system wont Start etc.

You can likely use a SD Card out of a phone or camera instead though if you have a Reader.

KB.

Kbird, Oct 7, 2016
  5. THX1138 Win User
    Unfortunately I don't have a card reader. I found an Android app for the purpose but it requires root which is not trivial to achieve. I did however think of another solution for which i posted a different thread.

THX1138, Oct 7, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    I saw that post and it works for me no problem, I followed Topgundcp's Tip to set it up, but have not used the Main HDD for the 4GB partition, just a USB Attached HDD. I have several drives in a 4 bay USB enclosure, They are only 2TB each so can be MBR initialized and I use the Beginning 3-8GB of each Drive Formatted Fat32 (maybe need to be set active) and boot , MTPW, Macrium, Kyhi's PE or the Latest Win10 ISO as needed , I have not tried it off the Main HDD though.

KB

edit:
    incase some needs the other thread it is here

Create installation media using small partition on HDD? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Kbird, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I install from my phone in mass storage mode? - Similar Threads - install phone mass

2. Can I download the iso file onto my phone and then install it from there with the phone...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I download the iso file onto my phone and then install it from there with the phone...: . submitted by /u/108k902 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/xk0qc3/can_i_download_the_iso_file_onto_my_phone_and/
  3. mass storage USB disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mass storage USB disc: why do my mass storage USB disc not get a letter when plugged in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mass-storage-usb-disc/d6149a09-9774-41f5-a46b-990731eb4b3a
  4. mass storage USB disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mass storage USB disc: why do my mass storage USB disc not get a letter when plugged in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mass-storage-usb-disc/d6149a09-9774-41f5-a46b-990731eb4b3a
  5. USB mass storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB mass storage: Problem is after disconnect usb drive then connect again with the same usb drive device or other usb drive the driver have problem check in device manage have "! sign" How to fix this problem?I try to uninstall but cann't solve....
  6. USB mass storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB mass storage: Problem is after disconnect usb drive then connect again with the same usb drive device or other usb drive the driver have problem check in device manage have "! sign" How to fix this problem?I try to uninstall but cann't solve....
  7. USB mass storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Mass Storage Device Not Ejecting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mass Storage Device Not Ejecting: I don't know why this happens, but no matter what I do, nothing works this message always appears to pls help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mass-storage-device-not-ejecting/0a565c9e-c658-4d33-b561-2f4a84e3910a
  9. USB Mass Storage Driver

USB Mass Storage Driver: My external Hard Drive not recognized. USB Mass Storage Driver not available.What is the fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-mass-storage-driver/6cb297a3-d35e-4daf-888c-66bba5e2c34a
  10. USB mass storage error

USB mass storage error: After a recent Microsoft update my USB ports are not detected and I get an error message. When I troubleshoot I get this. How can I get it to my read my flash drives again?!...