Windows 10: Can I install the backup image of Windows 10 to a New bigger hard disk

Discus and support Can I install the backup image of Windows 10 to a New bigger hard disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it permitted to install the backup image of Windows 10 to a New bigger hard disk in the same PC. After that I will use the new hard disk only and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sam9, Oct 8, 2015.

1. sam9 Win User

Can I install the backup image of Windows 10 to a New bigger hard disk

Is it permitted to install the backup image of Windows 10 to a New bigger hard disk in the same PC. After that I will use the new hard disk only and format the old one.

:)

sam9, Oct 8, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10: What to do if hard drive needs to be replaced?

Once Windows 10 is activated on a computer, it remains activated forever unless you change the motherboard or the CPU. Changing the hard disk will not cause your computer to become de-activated.

By far, the easiest and the fastest way to migrate to a new hard disk is with disk imaging software. A disk image is an exact copy of your hard disk, compressed into a single file. To migrate to a new hard disk: make an image of the old disk, install the
    new disk, and restore the image to the new disk. Disk imaging is also an excellent way to backup.

If you only want to backup your personal folders (documents, music, etc.) you can still migrate to a new hard disk, but it's a lot harder. First you need to do a clean install of Windows 10, install updated drivers, run Windows Update, setup your user accounts
    and re-do all your Windows settings. Then you have to re-install all your software, update your software and re-do all your settings. Finally, you restore your personal folders.

BulldogXX, Oct 8, 2015
  3. TJ.Huang Win User
    How do I recovery my files from the Windows 10 system backup files into a new Windows 10 hard disk?

My NB PC hard disk with Windows 10 Version 1709 failed completely and replaced by a brand new hard disk.

I have done the selected file backup via Windows 10's scheduled backup into a dedicated backup disk before the original disk failure.

Now I got a new hard disk with Windows 10 version 1709 installed in my NB PC (only Windows 10 default App installed).

Now, The new Windows 10 can't find the backup files done by the previous Windows 10 in my dedicated backup disk. (It seems can't find any backup history from it's own record nor from the backup disk even I have configured the dedicated hard disk as the new
    backup disk)

Can anyone know how can I get my data files backup by having the Windows 10 to do the restore/recovery from my previous Windows 10 selective system backup? (this would be the best solution to me)

Or,

Any 3rd parties software which can read the backup files system, so I can recovery my files manually back to my Windows 10 hard disk? (alternative solution)

TJ.Huang, Oct 8, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Yes, that is allowed.

It should not even change anything with the activation status, meaning, Windows should continue being activated. Should Windows at some point in the future try activating again (because you did more hardware changes or whatever), also this should work without problems.

Joergi, Oct 8, 2015
  5. Word Man Win User
    Although changing the motherboard out may require a phone call to MS to activate, which may or may not succeed, depending on which side of the bed the rep got up on that morning and how kind and tolerant you are with them.

Word Man, Oct 8, 2015
  6. sam9 Win User
    Thanks

sam9, Oct 8, 2015
  7. sam9 Win User
    Thanks

sam9, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I install the backup image of Windows 10 to a New bigger hard disk - Similar Threads - install backup image

2. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  3. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  4. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...
  6. Install windows with no externa backup and hard disk is empty

Install windows with no externa backup and hard disk is empty: I got windows10 with my laptop. Suppose my hard disc crashes and i need to reinstall the windows and i haven't created backup in external media. How do i install it...
  7. How can I make a disk image backup?

How can I make a disk image backup?: How can I make a disk image backup in WINDOWS 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-make-a-disk-image-backup/6941df78-1339-4c8e-a894-b1d40106b24e
  8. Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?: Hi, I'm currently using a 2TB hard in a disk caddy to backup (with EaseUs software) using incremental backups but my disk is getting full (I have a lot of graphics and video files). I'm thinking of buying a 4TB hard drive to use in the caddy - I use a caddy so I can keep my...
  9. Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?: Hi, I'm currently using a 2TB hard in a disk caddy to backup (with EaseUs software) using incremental backups which works fine but my disk is getting full (I have a lot of graphics and video files). I've read that Win 10 can't 'see' more than 2TB, and so a 4TB drive would...
  10. Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.

Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.: A few weeks ago, I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 10 Recovery disk and used it to do a clean install of my W10 upgraded installation on my desktop. It went well. Now I find I would like to put W10 on my Win 7 Acer laptop and plan to remove the...