Windows 10: Can I Install Win 10 from a USB Drive from HP?

Discus and support Can I Install Win 10 from a USB Drive from HP? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I got a Win 10 on a USB pen drive that I received to reinstall Win 10 on an HP laptop. HP sent it to me 6 months ago when I had issues with my HP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xlook, Aug 6, 2016.

1. xlook Win User

Can I Install Win 10 from a USB Drive from HP?

I got a Win 10 on a USB pen drive that I received to reinstall Win 10 on an HP laptop. HP sent it to me 6 months ago when I had issues with my HP laptop.

But I got a desktop now with no o/s and I sold the laptop. Can I use the Win 10 on the USB drive that HP sent me to install Win 10 on my desktop?

Just to let you know, the size of Win 10 on the USB drive is 11 GB. But Win 10 downloads from Microsoft is 4 GB. I dont know if theres a difference though. Can I still install Win 10 from the USB drive on my desktop? I don't want to pay $100 for Win 10.

:)

xlook, Aug 6, 2016

2. Can I install windows 10 from a usb flash drive and then activate it by entering the key for 8.1

Yes, you can.

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable
      (preferrably uninstall)
      your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
    • Restart a few times then try again.
    • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).
    • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver
      for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
    • Perform a
      clean boot
      , restart then try again.
    • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
    • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
    • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
    • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
    • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

Because you are upgrading from a preinstalled activated license, you won't be prompted for a product key. In case you do though.

Click Do this Later.

Can I Install Win 10 from a USB Drive from HP? [​IMG]

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (admin)

Enter the following command:
    wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Hit Enter

Copy the product key then enter it

If you do, then all you need to do is change the product key using your Windows 7 or 8 product key:

Click Start > Settings > Update & security
    > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click
    Next to Activate

Can I Install Win 10 from a USB Drive from HP? [​IMG]

Andre Da Costa, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Can I install windows 10 from a usb flash drive and then activate it by entering the key for 8.1

Original Title: windows 10 upgradation

Hi all. I have a windows 8.1 pre installed laptop. Can I install windows 10 from a usb flash drive and then activate it by entering the key for 8.1

Deepak Kumar G K, Aug 6, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

That USB is most probably only for HP laptops, with HP specific drivers, software bundle with third party apps and so on.

Even if you could install Windows from that USB (which I doubt), you'd still end up with a not activated Windows 10. To activate it you would need to buy a valid Windows 10 license.

It's better and easier to just accept that and buy Windows 10.

Kari, Aug 6, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    The USB you got from HP is probably a system image.
    You could try downloading the ISO from MS, create a bootable USB to install with, but, you've got new hardware so you'll probably need a Product Key to activate it.

or:
    What @Kari said! *Wink

Edwin, Aug 6, 2016
  6. If there is a sources folder have a look in there for a $OEM$ folder. Remove that and it becomes stock media. If there is a PID.txt file in the sources folder remove that too. Or as advised, just wipe it and make a new one from a downloaded ISO.

alphanumeric, Aug 6, 2016
  7. xlook Win User
    Do you think the USB drive contains a product key? If so, can I use it to activate my desktop with?

xlook, Aug 6, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

It does not contain a product key which allows you to activate anything else than the HP laptop it was / is intended to.

Kari, Aug 6, 2016
  9. No, and no. Product key should be in the BIOS on a Windows 10 OEM PC. And you can't use it on any other PC. It's unique to that PC. Try using it on another PC and it will most likely fail activation. Worst case scenario is it gets blacklisted and your HP will fail activation. Even if it isn't embedded in the BIOS, you still can't legally use it on another PC.

alphanumeric, Aug 6, 2016
  10. aardvark Win User
    Your rights to the software went with the laptop. You need to buy Windows 10 for your new PC.

aardvark, Aug 6, 2016
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    The USB drive should really have gone with the laptop. It has no value to you. All you could do is format the drive and use it for other purposes but there is a good chance that won't work either.

LMiller7, Aug 6, 2016
  12. If it's write protected, with no switch to turn it off, its a paper weight now.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I Install Win 10 from a USB Drive from HP? - Similar Threads - Install USB Drive

2. Trying to install win 10 from USB. It's not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install win 10 from USB. It's not working.: I've been trying to put win 10 on a new hard drive, using the USB method but the computer doesn't see the file during boot up. In the bios, I set the small usb as being the one to boot from. Is that file supposed to be an .iso?I bought a new win 10 OS. I had previously owned...
  3. Trying to install win 10 from USB. It's not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to install win 10 from USB. It's not working.: I've been trying to put win 10 on a new hard drive, using the USB method but the computer doesn't see the file during boot up. In the bios, I set the small usb as being the one to boot from. Is that file supposed to be an .iso?I bought a new win 10 OS. I had previously owned...
  4. Trying to install win 10 from USB. It's not working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can I reinstall windows 10 from USB drives?

Can I reinstall windows 10 from USB drives?: How much hard drive space do I need to use ideally for a good games storage from the Microsoft store? Installing a new one and its got 2 terabytes this pc. But dunno whether its gonna fit cause of all the red wire cabling that I been told not to remove by someone we unplugged...
  6. Can I reinstall windows 10 from USB drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I reinstall windows 10 from USB drives?: How much hard drive space do I need to use ideally for a good games storage from the Microsoft store? Installing a new one and its got 2 terabytes this pc. But dunno whether its gonna fit cause of all the red wire cabling that I been told not to remove by someone we unplugged...
  7. Windows 10 not installing from USB drive

Windows 10 not installing from USB drive: I am trying to dual boot Windows 10 Pro and Pop!_OS 20.04 on the same drive with separate partitions. I have gotten as far as to flash the Windows .iso image onto my USB drive but when I choose to boot from the USB I get a blank screen with just a single blinking underline....
  8. How to Install Win 10 from an USB

How to Install Win 10 from an USB: My Laptop which has Win 10 Home originally got many problems so I performed a Reset Windows from the system . After more than 2 hours installing , it got to the Users Login screen , I logged in and was waiting for the "Preparing Windows" , suddenly the power of my laptop went...
  9. Impossible to clean install win 10 from usb or Iso on formatted drive

Impossible to clean install win 10 from usb or Iso on formatted drive: Hello tenforums *Wink Im new on the forum, al though i have been reading articles or forum topics here a couple of time. Now, reading is not enough, and i would apreciate some help or suggestions about issues Im having with win 10 on my acer aspire laptop. over the past...
  10. I can't install from usb drive

I can't install from usb drive: I have created a usb drive by burning windows 10 technical preview using my macbook pro's Boot Camp Assistant and the windows 10 technical preview iso but I only get a blinking cursor at my sony vaio vgn-fw21z. Any ideas? Thank you. 5001