Windows 10: Can i install windows 10 if i replace old hdd with new one?

Discus and support Can i install windows 10 if i replace old hdd with new one? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have windows 10, but i have some problems, i think i will need to replace old hdd with new one, but i don't know if i will be still able to install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MitjaHD, Aug 3, 2015.

1. MitjaHD Win User

Can i install windows 10 if i replace old hdd with new one?

I have windows 10, but i have some problems, i think i will need to replace old hdd with new one, but i don't know if i will be still able to install windows 10. I don't know how microsoft will know this is still my pc.

:)

MitjaHD, Aug 3, 2015

2. Windows 10 reinstall

I bought a new hdd to replace my old one which is having a problem. If I install windows 10 to it using an ISO, will it be activated? If not is there a way to transfer the activation from the old hdd to the new one? or do I have to install Win8 and upgrade
    again?

wartiger01, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Boot Win10 as external Hard Drive

Hi, I've bought a new SSD for replacing my old HDD. In the Old HDD I've Debian and Win10 with dual boot.

In the new SSD I don't want to install Win10, I want to use it via USB; speed isn't an issue to me. I wont be using so much...

When I plug the old HDD via USB, as an external drive, I can boot from it, but Windows fails to start with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" or something of sort. Debian boots Ok. If I install the HDD in the laptop instead of the SSD it boots Ok.

Is there a way of me making my old HDD to start Windows 10 as and external hard drive?

jcbastosportela, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Can i install windows 10 if i replace old hdd with new one?

Most likely. But if you wanted to be sure (or more sure!) then...

Get a new HDD and install your old OS on it. (7/8.1)
    Make sure it's activated then go through the upgrade first-then-clean install process.

If this doesn't work out you still have your old drive which you can re-install.

Microsoft recognizes that HDDs fail and this won't/shouldn't affect your re-install.
    But nothing is for certain and plenty of qualifying Windows 10 upgraders have had difficulties.​

teachermark, Aug 3, 2015
  5. LittleJay Win User
    I first did the W10 upgrade over my W7 disk and then afterward I did a clean install of W10 on another disk. Both installs were activated.

LittleJay, Aug 3, 2015
  6. MitjaHD Win User
    Ok thanks. Also i didn't get any activation key, but my windows is activated.

MitjaHD, Aug 3, 2015
  7. The licensing information is written into your motherboard's ROM, as far as I know. That's the only piece of hardware that you can't replace without losing Windows.

mrmatteastwood, Aug 3, 2015
  8. MitjaHD Win User

And what if i need to replace it? I won't have any windows anymore.

MitjaHD, Aug 3, 2015
  9. tinmar49 Win User
    Only recent motherboard bios's have OS info, also if you are a builder, the motherboard you choose will not have embedded product codes. If a change of hdd or ssd is required then Microsoft's activation servers will remember and allow a clean install.

tinmar49, Aug 3, 2015
  10. Traijan Win User
    I just rebuilt my computer, but I didn't upgrade my CPU yet. That is planned for later this month. So the HDD's and SRAM and Mainboard will remain the same but will I be allowed to change the CPU and still have Windows activated?

Traijan, Aug 3, 2015
  11. Yup. I have been doing some more reading and I think I was wrong earlier when I said the licensing data is written into the mobo's ROM, but from all I can gather, you can replace any piece of hardware except the mobo and still use Windows.

mrmatteastwood, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can i install windows 10 if i replace old hdd with new one? - Similar Threads - install replace old

2. Can I connect an old hdd on my new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I connect an old hdd on my new pc?: So my pc has windows 10 and an ssd of 480gb, and i want to connect and old hddit was from my old pc which has windows 7 installed and some other programs. I want to access some files from the old drive mainly photos and maybe clean the disk and use it as extra storage. Is it...
  3. Can I connect an old hdd on my new pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I connect an old hdd on my new pc?: So my pc has windows 10 and an ssd of 480gb, and i want to connect and old hddit was from my old pc which has windows 7 installed and some other programs. I want to access some files from the old drive mainly photos and maybe clean the disk and use it as extra storage. Is it...
  4. When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?: Hi, I'm planning on replacing my old SSD inside my laptop with a new one, I wanted to know if the fact that I'm replacing it will cost me my Windows 10 license.If this isn't the case should I install the OS on my new SSD via an external drive?...
  5. When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?: Hi, I'm planning on replacing my old SSD inside my laptop with a new one, I wanted to know if the fact that I'm replacing it will cost me my Windows 10 license.If this isn't the case should I install the OS on my new SSD via an external drive?...
  6. When replacing old SSD with new one means that I should buy a new Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Can I Use old Version Of Windows On New One

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Use old Version Of Windows On New One: Hello I Am Using Windows 10 2004 But Accidently It Damaged But A Long time Ago I Made A Windows Installer On Pendrive And it Has Windows 10 1709 So Can I Use It In Recovery Drive Option?...
  8. Replace old laptop with a new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replace old laptop with a new one: I have bought a new laptop with windows 10 home on it my old laptop there was windows 10 pro installed. How can I get this version on my new laptop, I have the old hard drive were windows pro on is installed....
  9. I am replacing 10 year old PC with a new one.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am replacing 10 year old PC with a new one.: I am replacing 10 year old PC with a new one; is it better to have a clean start on the new PC, or use a back up of the old one? Both are the same brand. I tried to do a "clean up" using specific software; however, I do not think it has removed the old stuff and I do no want...
  10. Replacing the old Laptop with a new one having Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replacing the old Laptop with a new one having Windows 10: Presently, I am in a possession of Fujitsu Lifebook T4310 Tablet PC, which I purchased in 2010. Microsoft has notified that they will discontinue with Windows 7 from January 2020. So I have been told to upgrade to a new Laptop which has windows 10. I would like to upgrade...