Windows 10: Can I install Windows on my portable drive

Discus and support Can I install Windows on my portable drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've recently been wanting to use my USB 3.0 portable drive. My idea was to use it to bring with me if I ever forgot my laptop, and boot into Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by memes, Jul 3, 2017.

1. memes Win User

Can I install Windows on my portable drive

I've recently been wanting to use my USB 3.0 portable drive. My idea was to use it to bring with me if I ever forgot my laptop, and boot into Windows 10 with all my files and applications on it. My hard drive has 1TB storage, so I doubt storage would be an issue.

I do think there is a possible issue though, and that would be the drivers. If I were to have a Nvidia graphics card, could I use it at my friend's if he had an AMD card, would I be able to use it at his?

So, what I'd like to know is how to install Windows 10 on the drive, and then get around any other issues you think might come up.

-, dankest of them all

:)

memes, Jul 3, 2017

2. how to install/operate USB floppy diskette driver

how do I operate Portable USB Floppy Diskette Drive on Windows 10.

I can install the drive but when I try to operate it with the floppy disk in portable diskette drive it does not operate and informs me "insert disk into drive"?

[Moved from Mobile Devices]

isleofcantie, Jul 3, 2017
  3. Windows 10 does not see data on my portable hard drive after unlocking it.

I have an encrypted portable hard drive that I use for backing up data. When I run the unlock program, the disk unlocks ok, but then Windows 10 does not see any back up data on the portable disk drive. The portable disk drive was readable using Windows
    7 Professional before I upgraded to Windows 10 on my PC. I have an encrypted thumb drive that I used with Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 10 can read the data on the thumb drive. Very strange. Any thoughts on how to get Windows 10 to read the passport
    portable hard drive?

Barlow_James, Jul 3, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Jul 3, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
  6. whiggs2 Win User
    whiggs2, Jul 11, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    That is same program NavyLCDR linked to.

OP - this actually works well, even on different devices as Windows10 is far superior in sorting driver issues. Not 100% guranteed in all cases though. Biggest issue is activation unless yiu have a retail standalone licence.

cereberus, Jul 11, 2017
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Then there is Rufus as well.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 11, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Will Rufus create a bootable full Windows installation on an external drive? The OP wants to boot into a full installation of Windows on a portable drive - not just be able to install Windows for a portable drive. This involves extracting the full Windows image contained in the install.wim file to a partition, not just putting the contents of the ISO file onto the flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2017
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Yes, it can create a Win To Go installation on an external USB connected drive.
    My main reason for mentioning it is that you do not even have to install it on your machine for it to work.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I install Windows on my portable drive - Similar Threads - install portable drive

2. Portable hard drive wiped after getting the windows installation media on it. How can I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Portable hard drive wiped after getting the windows installation media on it. How can I...: Most of it is "unallocated". Is there any way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/portable-hard-drive-wiped-after-getting-the/1d41133d-7227-49a1-926d-7141fd8053bc
  3. Portable hard drive wiped after getting the windows installation media on it. How can I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Portable hard drive wiped after getting the windows installation media on it. How can I...: Most of it is "unallocated". Is there any way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/portable-hard-drive-wiped-after-getting-the/1d41133d-7227-49a1-926d-7141fd8053bc
  4. Portable hard drive wiped after getting the windows installation media on it. How can I...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to install software in portable external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install software in portable external drive?: My external 100 gb of my old laptop was running good in storing data, files and others. But i wanted to install software like gimp, visual studio code and similar windows apps as portable in external drive. Is it possible?...
  6. How to install software in portable external drive?

How to install software in portable external drive?: My external 100 gb of my old laptop was running good in storing data, files and others. But i wanted to install software like gimp, visual studio code and similar windows apps as portable in external drive. Is it possible?...
  7. How to install software in portable external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. portable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    portable drive: portable hard drive not recognize after windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/portable-drive/50df189a-2a32-4bb0-97e6-421d82f65bfa
  9. windows 10 install on portable hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 install on portable hard drive: Is there a way that I could download a version of windows 10 and install it on my portable hard drive as a trial or test before I buy the OS and find out my PC cannot run it or something weird like that happens? i know that you can put the real version on a portable HDD, but...
  10. QUESTION: Can Sandboxie be installed as a portable?

QUESTION: Can Sandboxie be installed as a portable?: Can Sandboxie be installed as a portable? I ask for the following reasons: Portable Sandbox https://www.sandboxie.com/PortableSandbox The revised layout of the sandbox that is introduced in version 2.80 allows for greater portability of the sandbox across computers. By...