Windows 10: Can I install with very small C drive?

Discus and support Can I install with very small C drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old PC I use for testing things. I want to install Win10 on it before installing it anywhere else. But this PC has an 80GB SSD C drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pokeefe0001, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Can I install with very small C drive?

I have an old PC I use for testing things. I want to install Win10 on it before installing it anywhere else. But this PC has an 80GB SSD C drive. Currently it has only 12GB free. I can free up maybe 6 or 7 more GB by removing a bunch of USER temp data (if I'm brave enough), but that is still way below the Win10 system requirements. I have 2 additional internal drives, 512GB each. (Seemed like a lot 5 years ago.) The D drive has over 400GB free. Is the Win10 installation smart enough to use space on the D drive, or am I going to have to replace my small SSD with something bigger?

:)

pokeefe0001, Aug 22, 2015

2. Phone Memory Update 7.1 N97

actually it does install on E with a very small footprint on C Can I install with very small C drive? :)

radical24---01, Aug 22, 2015
  3. NRoyBrown Win User
    windows maps open partway and then immediately closes in windows 10

None of the above recommendations worked and it appears that the feature of having the maps on a secure digital card and not on the c drive does not work. When I erased the maps on the secure digital card and re-installed them on the c drive , everything
    is working ok. Sure would be nice to be able to install them on the card as the c drive on my tablet is very small.

Thanks

Norm Brown

NRoyBrown, Aug 22, 2015
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Can I install with very small C drive?

Windows 10 will be installed to whatever drive you direct it and that will be the C: drive for Windows 10. Multiple operating systems on one computer will assign their own drive letters, quite independently what they are to other operating systems. Drive letter information is stored in the registry of each OS.

LMiller7, Aug 22, 2015
  5. Ok. I need to get my head around that. User data (AppData, etc.), ProgData, etc. are currently on my small SSD. In Win10 with it's C drive on one of the HDDs are symbolic links going to allow them to stay there, or are they going to be copied to the Win10 C drive? Having the operating system on a slow HDD and user data on a fast SSD is kind of weird. (I don't want to even consider that they may be created on the Win10 C drive but not populated. The Win10 system would be pretty unusable then.)

I assume the Program Files that currently exist on both C and D drives would stay where they are. I installed most programs on the (current) D drive, but at least one program installed program files on both C and D, claiming that some of the files had to be on the C drive. And that's the only really important software I have on this PC. I assume this program is going to fail if the (logical) C and D drives are swapped. This doesn't sound like a good option.

pokeefe0001, Aug 22, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    The best way is to move everything to one of your 500GB drive making SSD to whole 80 GB available then install Windows 10. 80GB is good enough for Windows 10. Mine only took 30GB with Windows + All the Apps that I had installed. My personal Data is stored on another HD.

topgundcp, Aug 22, 2015
  7. I ended up replacing the 80GB SSD with a 256GB SSD.

pokeefe0001, Sep 2, 2015
  8. acmanten Win User

When my desktop was still on Win8.1 I have all that on a 914GB HHD for year, and then upgraded to Win 10, and all was fine, and it still has all the upgraded new and old /windows.old folder abd lots STUFF in my Downloads folder. It is permanently activated and my explorer says it still has 814gb FREE. That may give some of you some info about size. I will be deleting the /windows.old folder soon and changing to a 500GB Samsun SSD evo SATA III that I ordered yesterday.
    mmore later.. all be safe.. Cliff M.

acmanten, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I install with very small C drive? - Similar Threads - install very small

2. Very small C drive capacity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very small C drive capacity: Good afternoon, I have an issue I am constantly fighting with and need some help. I have a small 8” tablet from Lenovo that has an internal drive 0/C that is only 32GB nonupgradeable. In addition to this drive, I have installed a 128GB SDXC card to act as my drive 1/D....
  3. My C:\ drive is almost full for no reason I install mostly small apps in C:\ , apps and...

My C:\ drive is almost full for no reason I install mostly small apps in C:\ , apps and...: My C:\ drive is 231 GB SSD and I've been searching around what caused it to suddenly got 11 GB left from 231 GB. And I found this from AVG after scanning my main drive for viruses, etc. Why is "Apps Cache files" consumes large amount of data? Is it supposed to? Is it ok to...
  4. Laptop is very very slow suddenly so I formatted c drive and clean installed windows but is...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop is very very slow suddenly so I formatted c drive and clean installed windows but is...: Laptop is taking hours and hours to start when i was clean installing windows it took almost 12 hours i cant do anything on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-is-very-very-slow-suddenly-so-i-formatted-c/ee07479f-2734-4a4f-83fd-4fcb2e5f26e6
  5. Can I do a clean Windows10 install only on the C: Drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I do a clean Windows10 install only on the C: Drive?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/mib34v65e1351.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=bd48c5eee570cd271b29021e36d1a2c4c8f6cd23 submitted by /u/BroMan1108 [link] [comments]...
  6. I have a quite small but fast c drive and a raid 5 storage drive can I have windows store...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have a quite small but fast c drive and a raid 5 storage drive can I have windows store...: After an update I keep deleting it as it's so close to being full is it possible to have all the logs and recovery files pointed to the other disk?...
  7. very small print

in Windows 10 Customization
    very small print: how to enlarge print https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-small-print/5a48e2d4-2f81-478e-b9b6-1cafb4af8b28
  8. very small icons and very small text in taskbar,

in Windows 10 Customization
    very small icons and very small text in taskbar,: Hi ,my name is Colin i have just bought a new Dell inspiron 15 model 3585,The problem i have is tiny text and icons on task bar,and when i right click on anything that text is also so very small,i might add that in settings the text size is normal size, ease of access is of...
  9. Windows C drive too small and nearly full, how can I extend it?

Windows C drive too small and nearly full, how can I extend it?: The latest Windows 10 update has taken my windows c drive to near capacity, I have plenty of room on d drive so do I need to buy something like Partition Magic or is there a Windows 10 tool that can assist?...
  10. No room on small c: drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No room on small c: drive: I have no room to install newest windows update on my c: drive. I have another drive via a card that has 27 Gbytes available but I have no more room available on the c: drive. I have removed everything but still need to get 3,55 Gbytes. Can I remove some of the system...