Windows 10: Can I just reserve win 10 but not upgrade it ?

Discus and support Can I just reserve win 10 but not upgrade it ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi What happens if I reserved a copy of windows 10 but I don't want to upgrade it ? To make a story short, I have 2 PCs with windows 7. Both PC had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SteveT, May 6, 2016.

1. SteveT Win User

Can I just reserve win 10 but not upgrade it ?

Hi

What happens if I reserved a copy of windows 10 but I don't want to upgrade it ? To make a story short, I have 2 PCs with windows 7. Both PC had reserved win 10 but I cannot upgrade it because the hardware was too obsolete and win 10 doesn't have drivers for those hardware. I will eventually reuse the license of my two windows 7 for my future new build pc and my question is can I still upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 beyond the expiration date if I reserve the win 10 but I didn't upgrade it ?

thx.

:)

SteveT, May 6, 2016

2. reinstalling windows 7 on new hard drive prior to win 10 upgrade.

No, it will not jeopardize the free upgrade offer.

Can I reserve even if I didn’t get a notification?

Yes. You can reserve your upgrade at any time on any compatible PC by clicking on the Get Windows 10 app or the Windows Update control panel.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

This update is not required to get Windows 10, you can still get it even though you don't get the notification. Just download it on July 29th 2015 when it becomes available. You will have one year to do so. The Reserve app is just a reminder/notification
    for its availability.

Andre Da Costa, May 6, 2016
  3. Upgrade to Win 10

Hi Team,

I have missed to reserve for win 10. Can i still upgrade my win 7 to win 10, free of cost.

Regards

Subhankar Ghosh, May 6, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

No. Free Win 10 upgrade expires on July 29th, this year. That also applies to "reservation".
    After that, you will have to purchase a license to upgrade.

davidhk, May 6, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    And MS has promised to take offers down with subsequent gradual removal of downloaded files for upgrade. A guess is it would be done by a future W7/8 update.

CountMike, May 6, 2016
  6. SteveT Win User
    Ok, but what happens if I upgrade now my win 7 to win 10 and I need to format and reinstall the whole system after the expiration date because of hardware failure or virus infestation ?

SteveT, May 6, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    No problem as long as you don't change motherboard, Digital entitlement is tied to it, no other part is important.

CountMike, May 6, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Once you have upgraded to Windows 10 AND activated, you have the Digital Entitlement.
    Once you have the Digital Entitlement, there is no expiry date.
    That means you can reinstall the Same Windows 10 edition in the Same computer anytime you want, as often as you want. No product key will be required and Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I just reserve win 10 but not upgrade it ? - Similar Threads - reserve upgrade

2. Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition: The error code is 0cx1900201. How to remove this error?thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-update-from-windows-10-to-11-says-couldnt/a25c4c4d-b221-4e99-80fd-6a3bcee6c486
  3. Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition: The error code is 0cx1900201. How to remove this error?thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-update-from-windows-10-to-11-says-couldnt/a25c4c4d-b221-4e99-80fd-6a3bcee6c486
  4. Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My computer continues to try upgrading to 22H2, but cannot without a larger system reserve...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer continues to try upgrading to 22H2, but cannot without a larger system reserve...: I have tried going to disk managemnt, cmd, using a third party partition manager that would not load. I would have thought the update would increase the partition within the program it's self....
  6. My computer continues to try upgrading to 22H2, but cannot without a larger system reserve...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer continues to try upgrading to 22H2, but cannot without a larger system reserve...: I have tried going to disk managemnt, cmd, using a third party partition manager that would not load. I would have thought the update would increase the partition within the program it's self....
  7. My computer continues to try upgrading to 22H2, but cannot without a larger system reserve...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Surgery Needed on System Reserved Partition? Upgrade from 20H2 to 21H1 always fails at 97%

Surgery Needed on System Reserved Partition? Upgrade from 20H2 to 21H1 always fails at 97%: I bought a new Lenovo Legend 5 laptop recently, which then upgraded itself to Windows 20H2 almost I think immediately. It is registered. I was in the midst of migrating Thunderbird when it then started trying to upgrade to Win 21H1, virtually every day, but reporting failure...
  9. Upgrade fails - We couldn't update the reserved partition. 0xc1900201. This PC can't run...

Upgrade fails - We couldn't update the reserved partition. 0xc1900201. This PC can't run...: Trying to upgrade my current Windows 10 install I'm told the PC Can't run Windows 10 - even though it already is. I've read what must be hundreds of threads on here. I've ensured partitions are all sized with plenty of space. I've tried DISM repairs. I've tried SFC....
  10. W7 to W10 upgrade fails – can't update the system reserved partition

W7 to W10 upgrade fails – can't update the system reserved partition: Apologies for the length of the post but I wanted to pre-empt requests for info. Dell E5450 laptop; Windows 7 SP1; Samsung 250 SSD W7 updates have all been applied other than the August monthly security update. I have cloned the SSD to another Samsung 250, in case the...