Windows 10: Can I keep Win 8.1 on it's own partition?

Discus and support Can I keep Win 8.1 on it's own partition? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Maybe I've missed something along the way and I am somewhat confused to the upgrade process. Maybe others have the same concern. I have a typical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jm44jg39, Jul 22, 2015.

1. jm44jg39 Win User

Can I keep Win 8.1 on it's own partition?

Maybe I've missed something along the way and I am somewhat confused to the upgrade process. Maybe others have the same concern. I have a typical laptop system, Asus UX303La, that I recently purchased from the Microsoft Store. The laptop came with windows 8.1 preinstalled. I created a new partition on the 256 GB SSD and installed Win 10 TP from a usb with a Win 10 ISO. This was done a few months ago so I don't remember the Win 10 TP version number. The Win 10 updates to the latest build 10240 have been from the Windows update screen. Since then I have been able to "dual boot" either into Win 8.1 or Win 10 ( now with 10240.) When I run from the cmd prompt "slmgr/xpr" I get a popup saying that this computer is "permanently activated. I would like to keep the Win 8.1 on it's own partition and "upgrade to the 7/29 Win 10 on it's partition. Is this possible? I keep latest images of each OS on a external HDD. I want to keep Win 8.1 as the Win 10 as a few hiccups like temporary screen freezes when using Edge.

:)

jm44jg39, Jul 22, 2015
  2. mdi1962 Win User

Dual boot system

I am running win 7 and win 8.1. Can I upgrade win 8.1 to win 10 and keep win 7.

mdi1962, Jul 22, 2015
  3. want to keep win *.1 on the same drive and put win 10 on another drive

I want to keep my win 8.1 as I have it running as I want it the win 10 upgrade wants to delete the win 8.1 so I stop it how can I keep win 8.1 on C: and put win 10 on another drive I have 7 drives on the machine

clyde ereed, Jul 22, 2015
  4. Can I keep Win 8.1 on it's own partition?

The only way you can "upgrade" the Insider build is to stay in the Insider program after the 29th. If you attempt to use Win10 to upgrade the Win8.1 version, that will "consume" the Win8.1 license and after that, you will not legally be allowed to continue to use Win8.1 on that machine -- because then you will have two OS instances using the same license. At least, that's been what most folks have been claiming so far.

Mark Phelps, Jul 24, 2015
Thema:

Can I keep Win 8.1 on it's own partition?

1. Can I keep Win 8.1 on it's own partition? - Similar Threads - keep own partition

2. Error code: 1-8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error code: 1-8: A few months ago I bought the virtual reality headset hp reverb g2 and after a week i did not playing them I had the error 8-1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-code-1-8/528667d3-0819-45b7-8cf4-848089f68983
  3. Can I install "unsigned" Win 8 driver for monitor on Win 10?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can I install "unsigned" Win 8 driver for monitor on Win 10?: I have an Asus ProArt PA248Q monitor that is showing as "Generic PnP Monitor" in the Device Manager. I'm trying to update it to the manufacturer drivers but the only one they have is the Win 8 64-bit but whenever I try to update the driver, it tells me it is digitally...
  4. Can I use the actual theme of win 8 on win 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I use the actual theme of win 8 on win 10?: Hi! I much preferred the 8 theme. Multiple reasons: Better picked colors for the desktop background more pleasant looking taskbar with high transparency, which blended in better with the rest of the theme. Win10's is just off-color and smudgy looking. Centered titlebar...
  5. Windows deletes partitions on it's own

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows deletes partitions on it's own: Hello, I have a PC, which has 3 disks: one NVMe SSD 1TB on which I have my operating system, 1 512GB 2.5" SSD SATA, on which I store movies, and one 1TB 2.5" HDD, for various things. It happens almost every day, when I open windows explorer I can only se my main disk. I need...
  6. Which partitions can I keep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which partitions can I keep?: For backstory, I have 2 drives. 1 SSD with my OS and apps and all that stuff, and a second hard drive for all my game files. I noticed I had a lot of space on my second drive, so I shrunk the drive with about 100 GB of unallocated space leftover. As a fun little project, I...
  7. Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?: As topic says, friends laptop had Win 8 and he updated to Win 10. Now I wonder if he can install a clean Win 10 through USB with his Win 8 serialkey. 40889
  8. Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?: I am doing some OS maintenance on friends Surface Pro 2 currently running Win 10 Pro x64. One of the things I want to do is implement a backup process using Macrium Reflect. The HDD has a Recovery partition on it of around 6GB (full) but I don't know whether it's current...
  9. How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10?: I have a new system running under Win 10 on which I want to use an SSD as the boot drive with all my s/w and a WD 6TB Black HDD for my data. However, when I format the 6TB drive it shows up as two unallocated segments, one of 2048.00 GB and the other with 3541.03 GB. The...
  10. Should i keep win 8 or win 10 that is full of bugs?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should i keep win 8 or win 10 that is full of bugs?: Hey guys. I was wondering. Should i keep win 10 or rollback to 8.1 pro. I have recently upgraded to 10 and it has a lot of bugs. The biggest error that bothers me is that my pointer is constantly freezing. I have tried everything, still no fix. I cant play a game, i cant...