Windows 10: Can I make a single UEFI & BIOS bootable USB?

Discus and support Can I make a single UEFI & BIOS bootable USB? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been trying to create a multipurpose bootable USB for myself, I am trying to get to to have a windows installer and a live linux distro with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xdarkmario, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Can I make a single UEFI & BIOS bootable USB?

I have been trying to create a multipurpose bootable USB for myself, I am trying to get to to have a windows installer and a live linux distro with persistence on one usb.
    but i have been having trouble trying to find a bootloader that can boot both from the same usb in efi mode. but that aside I would like to have a uefi/bios bootable usb working but it seems to be one of the other, if I install UEFI mode some older computers cant read it and vice versa. I still come across a couple of old BIOS computers that i need to reinstall and i would like to have it all on one usb if possible. Can i achieve this?

:)

xdarkmario, Mar 8, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Can't reinstall Windows 10 from a USB stick

Hi Andrew, do you have legacy BIOS or UEFI BIOS?

If you have UEFI ,make the following changes:

Insert the Bootable Installation Media, then go into your BIOS and make the following changes:

1. Disable Secure Boot

2. Enable Legacy Boot

3. If Available enable CSM

4. If Required enable USB Boot

5. Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order

6. Save BIOS changes, restart your System and it should boot from the Installation Media

DaveM121, Mar 8, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Stuck in repair

Is this a UEFI BIOS? Are you booting the media as a UEFI device?

How was the media created exactly? Can you try creating a bootable DVD to compare, or another flash stick?

Go into UEFI or BIOS Setup and reset to Defaults. Then try booting the media again.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 8, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Can I make a single UEFI & BIOS bootable USB?

You want to put an EFI bootloader on the USB? I'd use The rEFInd Boot Manager: Installing rEFInd

You could create 3 partitions on the USB (in Linux, Windows won't let you make more than one partition on removable media), put the Windows install media on the first (formatted FAT32 so it will work for EFI and BIOS), put rEFInd on the second (FAT partition) and Linux on the 3rd. If you boot BIOS computer it will only see the first partition. If you boot from UEFI you can boot rEFInd boot manager and decide whether to boot the Windows installer or Linux.

Is that what you are after?

lx07, Mar 8, 2017
  5. I use diskpart to create my Windows 10 install thumb drives. They are bootable with UEFI and legacy BIOS.

select disk #
    clean
    create partition primary
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    assign
    exit

alphanumeric, Mar 8, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    He wants to put Linux on the same USB if you look at the first sentence of his question.

lx07, Mar 8, 2017
  7. Yes I saw that, but he also asked about having it boot from both Legacy and UEFI. I'm just saying it is possible, with Windows anyway. I have very limited experience with Linux, I only run it on my raspberry Pi. With the PI, you just image a Micro SD card to install and run it.

alphanumeric, Mar 8, 2017
  8. Can I make a single UEFI & BIOS bootable USB?

You might want to check out YUMI. There's a BETA version, near the bottom of the page, that is said to be able to do some limited UEFI booting. I'm not sure if it can do both or if you'll run into the same issue - one or the other. However, it's worth a look/read in any case.

RKillCrazy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can I make a single UEFI & BIOS bootable USB?

1. Can I make a single UEFI & BIOS bootable USB? - Similar Threads - single UEFI BIOS

2. Bootable media BIOS Can be used on both UEFI Or BIOSold PCs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootable media BIOS Can be used on both UEFI Or BIOSold PCs: About, WinPE like HirensCD USB or MedicatUSB or Microsoft Windows WinPE or Acronis WinPE or... Bootable media BIOS Can be used on both UEFI Or BIOSold PCs Bootable media UEFI Can be used ONLY on UEFI PCs Is this correct?...
  3. Bootable media BIOS Can be used on both UEFI Or BIOSold PCs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootable media BIOS Can be used on both UEFI Or BIOSold PCs: About, WinPE like HirensCD USB or MedicatUSB or Microsoft Windows WinPE or Acronis WinPE or... Bootable media BIOS Can be used on both UEFI Or BIOSold PCs Bootable media UEFI Can be used ONLY on UEFI PCs Is this correct?...
  4. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  5. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  6. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Making a file on C: drive bootable from BIOS/UEFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Making a file on C: drive bootable from BIOS/UEFI: My dad won't let me install my favorite operating system Debian on his computer alongside Windows. However, I have a feeling he'd let me use Debian in a VM or in WSL2. So, my question is, how do I make a VM or Linux Subsystem using VirtualBox or WSL2 and then make it bootable...
  8. How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick

How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick: I had a legacy bootiso file (i think Linux based) which i made uefi bootable on a flash drive using Rufus. Now i am looking for a way to save this uefi bootable flas drive as a (uefi) bootable iso for archiving or to use with other programs like ventoy. It is NOT a windows...
  9. How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick

in Windows 10 Support
    How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick: I had a legacy bootiso file (i think Linux based) which i made uefi bootable on a flash drive using Rufus. Now i am looking for a way to save this uefi bootable flas drive as a (uefi) bootable iso for archiving or to use with other programs like ventoy. It is NOT a windows...
  10. make bootable usb

make bootable usb: Hello I cannot make a bootable USB with the media creation tool. It gives error and corrupts the usb so I cannot use it anymore. It's already 3 of them. I have tried 2 USB port in the computer and it is the same. what to do. Thanks...