Windows 10: Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list?

Discus and support Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Not sure what Microsoft is thinking, but the "most used" list...isn't functioning as you would expect. I want programs I launch often to go there,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by yxalitis, Jul 13, 2015.

1. yxalitis Win User

Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list?

Not sure what Microsoft is thinking, but the "most used" list...isn't functioning as you would expect.
    I want programs I launch often to go there, with the recent file list fly out, that's the most user-friendly feature brought over from Windows 7....
    However, I've no idea what Windows uses to identify "most used"
    I use one program every single day, it never appears.
    A program I used a few times over a month ago is still in the list, when I chose to remove it, no other programs replaced it...why wouldn't the next most used program appear?
    How do I set the number of programs to list...the number grows and reduces all on it's own...it's quite bizarre.
    This would all be fine if I could CHOOSE to add programs to the start menu (The "real" one, NOT the "modern" one, with it's useless huge icons)..but...you can't!!!
    Anyone found a registry key or something that will allow for some of these annoyances to be changed?

:)

yxalitis, Jul 13, 2015

2. How to add apps to the most used apps list on the startup menu in Windows 10?

There are 6 apps listed as most used. How do I add more? I'd like to have about 10 or 12.

JessieHerr, Jul 13, 2015
  3. How to add apps to the most used apps list on the startup menu in Windows 10?

Hi Jessie,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to increase the number of apps listed under Most used app in the start menu in Windows 10. I will be glad to assist you.

I would like to inform you that you cannot increase the number of apps situated under the Most used apps. The maximum number of apps which it can show at a time is 6. The number of apps you go on using recently, it will be shown
    rotation by rotation in the most used apps but at a time it can show you only 6 most recent apps that you have used.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 13, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

That word, "useless". It works fine for me to pin items to the start menu.... I think we have very different ideas of what "useless" means.

Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list? [​IMG]

Regardless, I've found that if you have an item pinned somewhere else, like to your taskbar, or in the start menu, it won't appear on the most used list. Also, only items you start from the start menu will be listed there. If you start apps from a desktop shortcut, it won't be listed, for instance.

Mystere, Jul 13, 2015
  5. yxalitis Win User
    Pin Word to the Modern start menu, what do you get?
    An icon with a "W" image on it.
    Find Word in your "Most Used list" Ohh, neat, a little triangle pops put all my most recent Word documents.
    Same with Excel, etc etc.
    Now the fastest way to open a SPECIFIC document is Click-Click->Click.

I ONLY have this program in the "All Apps" area, which is where I launch it every single time.

yxalitis, Jul 13, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    That's not useless. Maybe you find that less useful, but it's obviously not useless, unless you can't open the app from the icon.

Has it ever been pinned somewhere else? It sounds like you might have pinned it to your start menu to discover that you can't use the jump lists, then unpinned it, and now expect it to be in Most used...

Mystere, Jul 13, 2015
  7. yxalitis Win User
    1. Let's stop worrying about pendantics, I don't like the Modern start menu, prefer not to use it, end of story.
    2. No, never, I already knew about the limitations of the Modern Start Menu...
    However, why would that act stop the program being "Most used"? Note I'm not referring to the "Newly Added" area...

yxalitis, Jul 13, 2015
  8. davehc Win User

Modern screen like or dislikes apart, I find this the easiest compromise.
    I don't like to see a row of icons on my taskbar or desktop, so I have:
    1, Eliminated , through settings...Personalisation.. .Start, all those functions. Show recent Apps..etc).

2. My frequently used programs I have pinned to start.
    Clickety click and they are open.

davehc, Jul 13, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    I apologize, but I feel that words have meanings, and using a word to mean something else just makes it that much harder to communicate. It's fine that you don't like it, but don't say it's "useless". "useless to me", or "not useful to me" would be much better.

I don't know why, but that's the way it is. You can see this by right clicking on anything in the "Most Used" and choosing "Pin to start" or "pin to taskbar" and it disappears from the most used menu.

Mystere, Jul 13, 2015
  10. I don't know the criteria MS uses for the MFU list, but I share your pain. I have a different complaint - I don't like the small list, but that's not germane.

The jumplist in the small start list is a nice feature - you might consider pinning your most used applications to the Taskbar as an alternative and access the jumplists from there.

You could also create a Taskbar toolbar that has shortcuts to your most used applications. I drag an alternate Start menu toolbar all the way to the left (tricky - it might take a few 'drag' ops to get it all the way left).
    Create a folder, create shortcuts in the folder, create a new toolbar thta points to the folder you created for your MFU applications.

There are options - that's always been the nice thing about Windows.

Slartybart, Jul 13, 2015
  11. That doesn't sound like a good way to implement MRU queues. But as you said I don't know why, but that's the way it is.. Perhaps that will change between now and RTM, if it falls in the high priority category (doubtful).

I do know that the disappearance from new items list is a new change. I fed MS a report that basically said "Why do I have to pin-to-XYZ and then remove the item from the list". Sure , it's a different list, but there might be common code.

Slartybart, Jul 13, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    Another option, which requires an extra click, is to rename your start-menu links to start with a number, like 0-Whatever.. then they will appear at the top of the "All Apps" list, complete with jumplists.

Mystere, Jul 13, 2015
  13. jay969 Win User

yes

jay969, Jul 21, 2015
  14. DalGoda Win User
    I wanted to use the jump menus in Excel as I had a couple of spreadsheets I update frequently, one being a check register (not many checks but debit needs tracked). Anyway, I had Excel pinned to the start on the right side, but no jump menus are there. I had settled for pinning it to the taskbar, which I loathed, but it was better than nothing. Dragging and dropping on the start menu was useless, the "All Apps" shortcut didn't offer the jump menu, and a search of appdata and the registry yielded nothing. Finally, I removed Excel from the "tile side" and low and behold, it magically appeared in my "Most Used" section complete with functioning jump menus. FINALLY!!!

Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list? [​IMG]

Now to rejigger my Start Menu with other needed items. I have been enjoying Win 10. Now I can relax with the mystery solved. *Biggrin

DalGoda, Aug 18, 2015
  15. Yes, but something went wrong for me. I ended up with two entries for Microsoft Word in the 'Most Used' listed, so I removed one - and they both went! Now, I can no longer get it back into the list. Where are the settings to re-instate it?
    I don't like the new menu system but it is gradually growing on me - like a fungus.

Mike Austin, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list? - Similar Threads - modify customise add

2. how can i add and fix to sort date modified by default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can i add and fix to sort date modified by default: Hi, i always use date modified instead of date in all of my work e.g. when i try to upload a file or import a file to an app as u can see here i can't find date choose i have to enable it from this shown menu then right click and choose sort by date modified. the problem is...
  3. windows 10 most used app list

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 most used app list: Hello Guys, Is it possible to increase the most used app list in the new Windows 10 Start Menu? Thanks Tony 25145
  4. "Most used" list (in Start Menu) is problematic

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Most used" list (in Start Menu) is problematic: 1) I use Word much more often than others in the list. Why is it not displaying? 2) Can I add to the number of apps which are displayed? 39357
  5. Add/remove programs from Most Used List

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add/remove programs from Most Used List: ​Hi to the list. First apologize if i am posting in the wrong section. I have passe from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I rember that on the windows 7 i could drag and drop in the start menu all the programs i use mostly and in the mean time i could sorted the alphabetically....
  6. How can I add Office programs to the Most Used area?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How can I add Office programs to the Most Used area?: I use Excel all the time but it doesn't show up in the Most Used area. When apps are in that section they get the little pop out window so I can go directly to a specific XLS file without having to open Excel first and then go open it. Is there any way to force Excel to go...
  7. How can I make a portable app show in the "Most used" Start Menu list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I make a portable app show in the "Most used" Start Menu list?: I've opened this app enough to determine that Windows 10 must not recognize portable apps/exe's the way it recognizes installed apps....thus, portable apps/exe's do not show up in the "Most used" list. Can anyone think of a trick to ensure that it's recognized? 78583
  8. How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu?: Dear experts One of the benefits of Windows10 that returned back from Windows7 is the Recent Menus. Unfortunately, this feature is associated with the "Most Used" section in the Start Menu. As most users, I used Office application frequently, Word, Excel, PowerPoint,...
  9. More items to Most used list

in Windows 10 Support
    More items to Most used list: Hey guys! I am trying to figure out how I can have more than 6 items to the most used list in the Start Menu. I have seen screenshots with more but can't find out where to do that in the options... Soooo... here I am. *Biggrin It's not a big deal so if it's not...
  10. Can i modified the most used apps list in start menu of my Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can i modified the most used apps list in start menu of my Windows 10?: I accidentally remove all in the list by clicking "Don't Show in the List" all apps is now not listed to the most used app list. How can i undo it? I try to turn it off and on on the settings "Show most used app list" option but does not undo it.*cry*cry*Sad 100%x Note:...