Windows 10: Can I place software on the USB disk that holds Win 10 install?

Discus and support Can I place software on the USB disk that holds Win 10 install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a USB disk that holds the bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 that I’ve created using this tutorial: Create Bootable USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hoggorm, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Hoggorm Win User

Can I place software on the USB disk that holds Win 10 install?

Hi,

I have a USB disk that holds the bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 that I’ve created using this tutorial:

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

The USB disk has to be empty when creating this bootable USB flash drive, but can I create separate folders to this USB and add computer specific software and drivers there?

As of now the disk contains the following folders and files

boot
    efi
    sources
    support

autorun.inf
    bootmgr
    bootmgr.efi
    setup.exe

Can I add a PC folder and a Laptop folder to this structure as well?

boot
    efi
    Laptop
    PC
    sources
    support

autorun.inf
    bootmgr
    bootmgr.efi
    setup.exe

I hope you understand my question. I do not want this software to be installed with windows when doing a clean install, but I want them ready on the same USB and install them myself when Windows is finished installing.

Basically I want one USB instead of two or three.

:)

Hoggorm, Mar 9, 2018

2. Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

I have two Toshiba 500 MByte removable USB disk drives. When I plug either of them into a USB socket on a Win 10 machine, they do not appear in Explorer or in the Disk Management plug in. No message appears about an unrecognised USB device. Other removable
    USB drives appear OK when plugged into in the same socket. The power lights come on on each drive but remain on continuously. When either Toshiba drive is plugged into a Win 7 machine, the power lights come on, then flash and the drives appear in Explorer.
    How can I make the drives appear on the Win 10 machine?

In Device Manager on the Win 10 machine the USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller has a yellow exclamation mark beside it and in Properties reports "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".
    Clicking Update Driver Software and searching the Web reports that the best driver software is already installed.

SimonKravis2, Mar 9, 2018
  3. "Multiple Card Reader" Not working

My Asus all in one Pc Win 10 is not recognizing my sd card when placed in the slot. It keeps saying place disk in the drive. I've tried updating the driver but it says its the newest. Not sure if related but the other USB drives are listed as EPSON Storage
    USB Device, I have an Epson printer hooked up and I may have messed up my network?

SocalKCfan, Mar 9, 2018
  4. Hoggorm Win User

Thank you for the quick reply!

Hoggorm, Mar 9, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    This is what my install USB looks like:

Can I place software on the USB disk that holds Win 10 install? [​IMG]

When I want to make a updated installer I just delete everything apart from the "Other" directory and replace it with contents of the new ISO. Easier if everything not to do with the installer is in one directory I think and it is a waste to only use 4GB of a perfectly good 32GB USB stick.

Just a thought, but yeah it certainly works fine - the installer ignores directories it isn't interested in.

lx07, Mar 9, 2018
  6. Barman58 Win User
    As I keep all my installers safe on a backed up Data drive, I do not need to add to the install USB, after I install my basic set of applications I simply install the applications I need as I need them, - As for the actual sticks I purchase packs of 8GB sticks for installation purposes, (for clients), so just use one of those for an OS install. then wipe and return to "stock "

I also keep a repository of ISO files for Windows installers on a data store going back to XP so can create an install Stick or Disk as needed.

Of course you can also modify the actual installer USB Stick to provide a complete solution in one place

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep Windows 10 Tutorials

Not for the beginner but a useful option

Barman58, Mar 9, 2018
  7. Hoggorm Win User
    How do you do this? Using the media creation tool it appears as if this process will delete everything on the disk...?

Hoggorm, Mar 9, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

The media creation tool gives you option to download the ISO rather than write direct to the USB key.

Can I place software on the USB disk that holds Win 10 install? [​IMG]

Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Tutorials

Once it is downloaded double click on ISO file to mount it then in File Explorer select everything in the ISO (the contents not the Windows.iso file itself) and copy/paste to the USB (after deleting everything that was there except your directories).

This method is also much faster than getting Media Creation Tool to write direct to the USB for some reason.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I place software on the USB disk that holds Win 10 install? - Similar Threads - place software USB

2. Can I reset my win 10 without losing installed software updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I reset my win 10 without losing installed software updates?: My win 10 is getting lag, so i need to reset my win without losing installed new software update. Can i do like this? Without losing updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-reset-my-win-10-without-losing-installed/371d84db-5d2f-4c92-a0ee-1d6feaf2b7cc
  3. Can I reset my win 10 without losing installed software updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I reset my win 10 without losing installed software updates?: My win 10 is getting lag, so i need to reset my win without losing installed new software update. Can i do like this? Without losing updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-reset-my-win-10-without-losing-installed/371d84db-5d2f-4c92-a0ee-1d6feaf2b7cc
  4. Can I reset my win 10 without losing installed software updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can not install new software on win server 2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not install new software on win server 2019: Help me! I can not run exe file to install new software. I tried some tips on YouTube and still not work. When I right click on the exe file. It do not show "Open", it show "1%*"%*. -->The picture show detail...
  6. Can not install new software on win server 2019

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not install new software on win server 2019: Help me! I can not run exe file to install new software. I tried some tips on YouTube and still not work. When I right click on the exe file. It do not show "Open", it show "1%*"%*. -->The picture show detail...
  7. Can not install new software on win server 2019

8. how can i install softwares in window 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can i install softwares in window 10: please i need to install varius softwares in my laptop but i need guidance, i just changed to window 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-install-softwares-in-window-10/d4430afe-c30c-40ea-ac8d-d4648fadc953
  9. Can I Install Win 10 from a USB Drive from HP?

Can I Install Win 10 from a USB Drive from HP?: I got a Win 10 on a USB pen drive that I received to reinstall Win 10 on an HP laptop. HP sent it to me 6 months ago when I had issues with my HP laptop. But I got a desktop now with no o/s and I sold the laptop. Can I use the Win 10 on the USB drive that HP sent me to...
  10. Win 10 recovery USB disk

Win 10 recovery USB disk: I am trying to create a recovery USB drive from which I can install Windows 10 fresh, if needed. Or quickly restore system images in case of a drive issue. There are a couple of things I am not clear about. Background: I have an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 8.1,...