Windows 10: Can I prevent application grouping on the task bar?

Discus and support Can I prevent application grouping on the task bar? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Re, Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, OS build 17134.165. Multiple running instances of Notepad, to cite one example, are being grouped on the task bar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarkFilipak.Windows, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Can I prevent application grouping on the task bar?

Re, Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, OS build 17134.165.

Multiple running instances of Notepad, to cite one example, are being grouped on the task bar -- they cannot be individually moved. This is very undesireable behavior. How can I "uncouple" the running instances so that they can be moved individually?

What this question is NOT: This is not about 'Combine taskbar buttons'. I have 'Combine taskbar buttons' set to 'Never'. This is about taskbar grouping. I want to move one running instance of Notepad to the right end of the task bar while the other instances stay put.

Thank you.

:)

MarkFilipak.Windows, Aug 17, 2018

2. Can I prevent application grouping on the task bar?

Re, Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, OS build 17134.165.

Multiple running instances of Notepad, to cite one example, are being grouped on the task bar -- they cannot be individually moved. This is very undesireable behavior. How can I "uncouple" the running instances so that they can be moved individually?

What this question is NOT: This is not about 'Combine taskbar buttons'. I have 'Combine taskbar buttons' set to 'Never'. This is about taskbar grouping. I want to move one running instance of Notepad to the right end of the task bar while the other instances
    stay put.

Thank you.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Sep 20, 2018
  3. Can I prevent application grouping on the task bar?

Thank you.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Sep 20, 2018
  4. Can I prevent application grouping on the task bar?

Cannot modify Task Bar settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue persists.

• Right click on the Task Bar.
    • Uncheck the option " Lock the Taskbar."

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

Can I prevent application grouping on the task bar?

1. Can I prevent application grouping on the task bar? - Similar Threads - prevent application grouping

2. why I can not hide the task bar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why I can not hide the task bar?: Why I can not hide the taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-can-not-hide-the-task-bar/c2e80545-1b3c-45bc-ac82-27fa113f96e9
  3. why I can not hide the task bar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why I can not hide the task bar?: Why I can not hide the taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-can-not-hide-the-task-bar/c2e80545-1b3c-45bc-ac82-27fa113f96e9
  4. Application and task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application and task bar: At first i found apps i didnt install after i switched on my PC and i restarted it after restarting my task bar was not showing anything, the time,start button and application and some of the appliacation i have i do not have access to them anymore like the setting, mircosoft...
  5. Application and task bar

Application and task bar: At first i found apps i didnt install after i switched on my PC and i restarted it after restarting my task bar was not showing anything, the time,start button and application and some of the appliacation i have i do not have access to them anymore like the setting, mircosoft...
  6. Application and task bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Grouped Task Bar Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grouped Task Bar Apps: Just an idea that would come in handy for Windows 11e.g. group adobe apps in a folder on the taskbarThanks- Tim https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grouped-task-bar-apps/cf448275-2030-4839-83e7-cb8317c12cce
  8. Grouped Task Bar Apps

Grouped Task Bar Apps: Just an idea that would come in handy for Windows 11e.g. group adobe apps in a folder on the taskbarThanks- Tim https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grouped-task-bar-apps/cf448275-2030-4839-83e7-cb8317c12cce
  9. Search from open programs / prevent opening a new window / group apps in task bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search from open programs / prevent opening a new window / group apps in task bar: Hi! So, because of work reasons, i needed to jump into Windows 10 from osx/linux. I'm losing my mind with the multitasking, please help! As a coder, i'm used to using keyboard for everything and open or switch programs by pressing cmd+space and then search by typing the...
  10. Task Host Window preventing shutdown/Applications inaccessible

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Host Window preventing shutdown/Applications inaccessible: I was having trouble opening applications, so i tried to shutdown and got the message that Task host window was preventing shutdown. After waiting 5 minutes, i forced the shutdown and now i cant see any of my taskbar items, no applications work, and i still get the same error...