Windows 10: can i reformat ssd with cloned image to do clean install instead?

Discus and support can i reformat ssd with cloned image to do clean install instead? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I cloned my HDD to my new SSD and it seems like it did it without error. However, I didn't physically swap them as I needed some guidance about the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by djrobison22, Mar 14, 2017.

1. can i reformat ssd with cloned image to do clean install instead?

I cloned my HDD to my new SSD and it seems like it did it without error. However, I didn't physically swap them as I needed some guidance about the location of the SSD when doing the first reboot and now 4 days later I have fixed a couple of ongoing issues with my system uninstalled some no longer useful apps and installed a couple larger apps that would be better for the SSD to already be installed because of the disc writing limits. Here are some questions that are nagging head about wanting to have a successful migration today.

1. can I hook the SSD back up to my laptop and reformat it and will that erase all traces of the Source drive?
    2. do I format the SSD to have no allocation and be in NTFS format?
    3. after creating a new disc image of my current system on my laptop (which I presume should be a complete image including the boot and recovery sections) which will be stored on my FreeAgent external usb hard drive the next step should be?

do I...

a. then remove existing hdd from laptop and plug the ssd in (while shut down of course)
    b. insert bootable recovery usb thumb drive and restart the computer pressing F12 to enable AHCI .
    c. plug in external usb and restore system image to ssd
    d. anything else? do I have to use Trim for anything?

Please let me know if this seems like I am doing what I should be doing.

Thanks,

Danny R

:)

djrobison22, Mar 14, 2017
  2. BossDweeb Win User

How to create a 2nd install of windows on a different drive on my pc

Depending to some degree on how much software you have installed keeping a clone of your Windows is a

good idea even if you don't think you SSD/HDD is about to fail. It's so much quicker than reformatting.

It's also a good idea, imo to make a fresh clone prior to the new version updates, such as 1703,

as they can go wrong.

You can clone/image/migrate your current Windows to another HDD.

I prefer removing the cloned copy as this is safer than leaving it in the machine.

I use AOEMI Partition Assistant, but Macrium Reflect is well regarded among the free cloning software.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

The tutorial below shows methods for 'refreshing' Win10. At the bottom are links to other tutorials

on how to do a clean install, etc.

- Once you have activated Win10, even with an upgrade from a previous version of Windows, you do not

need to worry about having an activation key should you reformat/clean install Win10 on the same machine.

Win10 links the activation to your machines motherboard.

- Why, or how, have you determined your SSD is on it's way out ? Have you run Windows disk checking tool

and found issues, or perhaps run a program such as Crystal Disk info and found yellow flags ?

CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

BossDweeb, Mar 14, 2017
  3. Migrating to a SSD - clone or fresh install?

I bought a PC with Windows 7 pre-installed on a HDD. A few months ago I upgraded to Windows with no problems.

Now I would like to replace my HDD with a SSD. I would prefer to do a clean install, but I'm worried about activation. Can I use my current code/product key for a clean Windows 10 install on the SSD? Or should I clone the HDD image instead?

If I can do a clean install, where can i find the Win 10 iso to do the isntallation with?

AegonTheUnready, Mar 14, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

can i reformat ssd with cloned image to do clean install instead?

Steps 1,2, and 3 all you have to do is 3, image your ENTIRE hdd, then reimage all of those partitions to the ssd.

The contents of your image have to fit on the ssd. Of course *Smile

Don`t worry about setting up the ssd, the reimage should take care of everything.

Trim is automatically enabled in windows.

I would just check that the alignment is correct with Partition Wizard or Diskpart. PW is way easier for a novice. It can check it and correct it for you.

AddRAM, Mar 14, 2017
Thema:

can i reformat ssd with cloned image to do clean install instead?

1. can i reformat ssd with cloned image to do clean install instead? - Similar Threads - reformat ssd cloned

2. What drivers to install after clean install/reformat?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What drivers to install after clean install/reformat?: Just did a fresh install for my win 10, but abit clueless on the Drivers I need to install. I read from somewhere that Windows Update will just do all the work for u. And from another forum, I read that u have to install manually like the chipset Drivers. BUT IS THE CHIPSET...
  3. Reformat HDD and clean install Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reformat HDD and clean install Win 10: I'd like to do a clean install of Windows 10. My laptop came with Win 7 and I did the upgrade to Win 10 some time ago but I do not have a product key or an installation disk. As I'm purchasing a new laptop I want to pass my old machine on but want to clean it up before I...
  4. Can't do clean install on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't do clean install on SSD: I keep getting "We couldn't create a partition or find and existing one". i already made a partition with Diskpart and verified it exists. I disconnected the other hard drives and still get the error. Is there something I have to change in the BIOS? 128599
  5. wed can reformatting ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wed can reformatting ssd: how do I reformat an ssd that seems to be set as write protected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/wed-can-reformatting-ssd/9d6ffacf-e8a0-4413-8bf5-fc9fe1d7e1ea
  6. Do I Clone or Image my Win10 SSD to NVMe?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Do I Clone or Image my Win10 SSD to NVMe?: I would like to move my OS from a smaller 240gb SSD (running out of room) to a 512gb NVMe SSD. What is the better option-do I clone or image the OS and all its partitions to the NVMe? Are there any need to know pointers before I attemp it? Many thanks in advance, Jeff 85489
  7. Do you reformat ssd prior to clean isntall of 10

Do you reformat ssd prior to clean isntall of 10: Sorry if this is basic...but just trying to avoid any unnecessary issues. I am using Brinks "Clean Install" tutorial via a usb stick for Win 10. Have everything prepared. Question is...Will the iso file on the usb reformat my current SSD with licensed Win 7 Pro 64bit system...
  8. Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?

Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?: Hi Guys, I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine to Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Ideally I want a clean install... I tried using the method that worked before on other PCs (Media Creation Tool -> Upgrade this PC) but I got a BSOD when it was "Checking for Updates",...
  9. Fresh Clean install, or Via Cloning/Imaging? to migrate Win 10 to SSD?

Fresh Clean install, or Via Cloning/Imaging? to migrate Win 10 to SSD?: First sorry for my poor english. here's a problem: My Original OS is come from Win 7 Professional 64 bit (from my Academic/MSDNAA ), and then I successfully upgrade it into Win 10 Pro 64bit (fully activated). Have been use that fully activated OS on my machine for years...
  10. Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install: How to: Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install [img] Information The most boring part of computing is waiting operating system to be installed. Installing Windows 10 can take anything from 10 to over 30 minutes (depending on hardware). The low end i5...