Windows 10: Can I reinstall to a dynamic disk?

Discus and support Can I reinstall to a dynamic disk? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to reinstall Windows on my laptop but I don't have suitable a medium to install to so I want to create an extra partition on my hard drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by THX1138, Dec 19, 2016.

1. THX1138 Win User

Can I reinstall to a dynamic disk?

I want to reinstall Windows on my laptop but I don't have suitable a medium to install to so I want to create an extra partition on my hard drive and use that as the installation medium. When I try to create this partition I get a warning that this will make the disk dynamic and the only partition it will be able to boot from is the current boot partition - will this stay the same when I reinstall Windows? Windows itself create two small partitions for 'System Reserve' and 'Recovery Partition' so with my sytem and data partitions that five in total.

Picture insertion not working: http://imgur.com/c29JR49.png

:)

THX1138, Dec 19, 2016

2. trouble opening dynamic theme and similar apps

I have installed the dynamic theme app from the Microsoft store and the app is crashing while opening ,

I have tried reinstalling it but the problem still persists ,apps similar to this have the same problem like dynamic wall ,etc.

how can I solve this ?

YashaswiMakula, Dec 19, 2016
  3. Can you upgrade to Win10 from 7 with a dynamic disk/partition?

Hi Liam,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

You can refer to the suggestions provided by Andre Da Costa about upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1/7.

How to upgrade to Windows 10 from within Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 using Windows Update

How to dual boot Windows 10 with previous versions of Windows:

How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Why can't you boot from a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD to re-install Windows with?

NavyLCDR, Dec 19, 2016
  5. THX1138 Win User
    I'm visiting home and don't have a writable DVD nor USB drive available.

THX1138, Dec 19, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would recommend you use MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

You will want to convert your C: drive Windows partition and the 450 mb recovery partition to logical partitions. This will put them into one extended partition. Then you can create a partition for the installation files in the unallocated space at the end of the drive. Then I would use EasyBCD to add the boot.wim file in the sources folder to the existing boot menu:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Scroll down on the webpage and you will find the free version. Once you can boot into the Windows setup boot.wim file you can select the custom install option. When you get the list of partitions on the hard drive, delete all the partitions that are before your data partition, select the unallocated space to install to, cross your fingers and hope for the best. If you don't have a bootable USB flash drive or DVD and it fails for some reason, you will have a brick until you can make one to boot the computer from.

I, personally, would not do it without a bootable USB flash drive or DVD.

NavyLCDR, Dec 19, 2016
  7. THX1138 Win User
    I have several RW-CDs. Can I span the installation media over multiple CDs instead of a DVD?

THX1138, Dec 19, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Not that I know of. I don't know if Kyhi's Recovery Tools will fit on a CD or not:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

If you can make a CD of that and boot from it that would give you a pretty good safety net assuming you don't erase the Windows 10 installation files from your hard drive. Especially if the drivers included in the recovery tools support connecting to the internet on your laptop.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I reinstall to a dynamic disk? - Similar Threads - reinstall dynamic disk

2. How I can make my Dynamic disk to basic Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How I can make my Dynamic disk to basic Disk: How I can make my Dynamic disk back to Basic .it is my main Disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-make-my-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk/d506d312-5e4c-4d0e-b84d-3a8bc597a0f1
  3. How I can make my Dynamic disk to basic Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How I can make my Dynamic disk to basic Disk: How I can make my Dynamic disk back to Basic .it is my main Disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-make-my-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk/d506d312-5e4c-4d0e-b84d-3a8bc597a0f1
  4. Unallocated on Dynamic disk !

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unallocated on Dynamic disk !: Hey everyone , I have a laptop with a Windows 10 installed on an SSD [:C] and I've extra SSD slot with another 1 TB SSD [:E] installed into it . I've recently installed dual boot Ubuntu on on my [:E] disk by first unallocating 500 GB for the installation , after...
  5. Can I turn a vhdx currently basic into a dynamic disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I turn a vhdx currently basic into a dynamic disk?: Hello, I am trying to test out mirrored, striped and RAID-5 volumes, but they all require the disk to be dynamic. I do not want to make my main disk dynamic, because I currently have a dual-boot, and it says: "After you convert these disks to dynamic, you will not be able to...
  6. Can I turn a vhdx currently basic into a dynamic disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I turn a vhdx currently basic into a dynamic disk?: Hello, I am trying to test out mirrored, striped and RAID-5 volumes, but they all require the disk to be dynamic. I do not want to make my main disk dynamic, because I currently have a dual-boot, and it says: "After you convert these disks to dynamic, you will not be able to...
  7. Can I turn a vhdx currently basic into a dynamic disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can I Install Windows 10 on Dynamic Disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Install Windows 10 on Dynamic Disk?: Guys, Please help Can we install Windows 10 home/pro on Dynamic Partition/Dynamic Disk? I'm trying to install windows 10 on new HDD, GPT/Dynamic format but I get the error message in pic. "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition contains one...
  9. Invalid Dynamic disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Invalid Dynamic disk: I have connected my old laptops hard disk to a new one and it is not accessible. In device management the hard disk shows "Dynamic" and "Invalid". so what should I do ?...
  10. Disk Management and Dynamic Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management and Dynamic Disk: Hi, I'm a windows 10 user. While I was partitioning my disk using disk management tool, I've seen that I have created three F: drives. Is there any way to combine all three drives together?[ATTACH]...