Windows 10: Can I reinstall W10 from scratch without repaying the license.

Discus and support Can I reinstall W10 from scratch without repaying the license. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Many computers come with Windows 10 preinstalled. I wonder if I can simply reinstall W10 from scratch (from the iso provided by Microsoft) without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Olive, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Olive Win User

Can I reinstall W10 from scratch without repaying the license.

Many computers come with Windows 10 preinstalled. I wonder if I can simply reinstall W10 from scratch (from the iso provided by Microsoft) without having to pay for the license? Will the license of the preinstalled Windows work for this new installation (provided I install the same version, home, professional, etc.)?

The motivation is simple. Many preinstalled Windows comes with a lot of junkware. I prefer to have a clean installation. Also, this will allow me to remove any recovery partition that takes space for nothing (since I can always reinstall from the official media).

:)

Olive, Apr 6, 2017

2. Windows 10 - The User Profile Service failed the sign-in User Profile cannot be loaded

Hello Ratandeep,

Facing the same problem as Wayne, and my 1st idea was indeed to reinstall W10 from scratch.

But how can I do this since I installed it from the free W8.1 upgrade?

Does it exist a link where I can download a fresh new W10 without licensing problem afterwards?

Thanks

ArnaudMichelet, Apr 6, 2017
  3. JudyDye Win User
    Re-installation of Windows 10 (downgrade)

Hi there

I had a disk crash at the weekend and had to reinstall W10 from scratch.

Unfortunately I have managed to install a different version to the one that I have a licence for. I have installed W10 Pro but my licence is for W10 Home. Is there any way of downgrading without having to reinstall all of the software I have since installed?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

JudyDye, Apr 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 6, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    Yes, you can always reinstall W10 on the same hardware and it will auto activate once you`re online.

After that, create disk images so you don`t have to reinstall from scratch. *Smile

AddRAM, Apr 7, 2017
  6. Olive Win User
    OK, this auto activation works for preinstalled windows too. I knew it works with the free upgrade but I had doubt about preinstalled W10. Good to know if you want a clean install.

Olive, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I reinstall W10 from scratch without repaying the license. - Similar Threads - reinstall W10 scratch

2. Can Windows 11 be installed from scratch not an update without using a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows 11 be installed from scratch not an update without using a Microsoft account?: Can Windows 11 be installed from scratch not an update without using a Microsoft account? I do it all the time with Windows 10 by just simply using an OFFLINE local account. 11 forces me to use a Microsoft account. I will need to setup several machines over the next few...
  3. Can Windows 11 be installed from scratch not an update without using a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows 11 be installed from scratch not an update without using a Microsoft account?: Can Windows 11 be installed from scratch not an update without using a Microsoft account? I do it all the time with Windows 10 by just simply using an OFFLINE local account. 11 forces me to use a Microsoft account. I will need to setup several machines over the next few...
  4. Reinstalling Windows 8, or better 8.1, from scratch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows 8, or better 8.1, from scratch: In 2015 I bought a Toshiba Satellite CL10B netbook with Windows 8 pre-installed. The PC has only 32 GB of SSD. Over the years I followed the upgrade paths through Windows 8.1, 10.0, and 10.1. Now it keeps nagging me to update to 22H2, but I have not enough disk space even if...
  5. Reinstalling Windows 8, or better 8.1, from scratch

Reinstalling Windows 8, or better 8.1, from scratch: In 2015 I bought a Toshiba Satellite CL10B netbook with Windows 8 pre-installed. The PC has only 32 GB of SSD. Over the years I followed the upgrade paths through Windows 8.1, 10.0, and 10.1. Now it keeps nagging me to update to 22H2, but I have not enough disk space even if...
  6. Licensing from w10 to w11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licensing from w10 to w11: Hi!I have a question regarding activation,I currently have windows 10 PRO activated with a Retail key, I do have the option to upgrade in my "settings > update&security" which I guess my key will be intact and windows 11 will be activated. My question is > What if I freshly...
  7. Licensing from w10 to w11

Licensing from w10 to w11: Hi!I have a question regarding activation,I currently have windows 10 PRO activated with a Retail key, I do have the option to upgrade in my "settings > update&security" which I guess my key will be intact and windows 11 will be activated. My question is > What if I freshly...
  8. Anyone regularly reinstall win10 from scratch? Tips?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone regularly reinstall win10 from scratch? Tips?: About 2 yrs ago, I installed win10 on a new SSD. My data are in a different HDD. Over time, I have installed and uninstalled many programs. I think it's time to reinstall OS. The system is running fine but I just want the freshness, devoid of any malware. Should I reinstall...
  9. Can I start from scratch?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I start from scratch?: I’m installing a new SSD C-drive that I will format and configure. My laptop has one HHD drive (partitioned into two parts, D-drive and E-drive) that I want to backup, wipe clean, and then reinstall—much more neatly this time—the programs I want and the data I need. To do...
  10. windows 10 reinstall from scratch

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 reinstall from scratch: I need to reinstall windows 10 from scratch. My current windows 10 was upgraded from the original windows 7 that the laptop came with. Would I need a digital key to be able to reinstall?...