Windows 10: Can I remove an old version of Win 7 on my D drive?

Discus and support Can I remove an old version of Win 7 on my D drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can I remove an old version of Win 7 on my d drive? It was my C drive years ago and I kept it for backup after I installed an SSD with Win 10 as the C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by maarkr, Jul 14, 2016.

1. maarkr Win User

Can I remove an old version of Win 7 on my D drive?

Can I remove an old version of Win 7 on my d drive? It was my C drive years ago and I kept it for backup after I installed an SSD with Win 10 as the C drive. I don't need to get every little bit off, but can I just delete the Windows folder? I know I've installed a few programs from Win 10 on that drive in Program Files, so I don't want to nuke those program/data files... just get rid of most of the old OS... it takes up 20Gb of space.

I'm also going to backup my C drive to the D, so I may want to boot off the D drive to my Win 10 backup if I have issues with the C drive booting.

-or, since I have like 2Tb of free space on the drive, why bother??? I'm just a neat freak.

:)

maarkr, Jul 14, 2016

2. Removing bcdboot

I recently added a boot menu in Windows 10, using "bcdboot d:\Windows" (where d: is my old Win 7 install). I'd like to remove the old Windows 7 directories (on dCan I remove an old version of Win 7 on my D drive? :), though, and thus (obviously) just boot from c: (my current Win 10).

Can I savely remove the old Windows 7 directories, though? (d:\Windows). I'd hate not being able to boot up any more as a result.

Thanks.

meimeiriver2, Jul 14, 2016
  3. LAPIII Win User
    Can I upgrade from an OEM version of Win. 7?

Does it also matter which edition, i.e. Home, Proffessional, etc.?

LAPIII, Jul 14, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

In theory, yes you can do that but windows may not let you just delete that folder. If it doesn't you can always boot of a live Linux on an USB and delete it from there.

CountMike, Jul 16, 2016
  5. maarkr Win User
    OK... searching archives and I found a suggestion to rename the old Windows dir Windows.old, then go to disk cleanup for the D drive and let it remove it. I renamed the dir, and ran disk cleanup, and sure enough, it gives me the option to remove it...

BUT, being the paranoid type that I am, is there any reason that I should not try this? I have tons of stuff on the drive, and even tho they are backed up, I don't want to go thru any mess. Is there any chance of the removal messing with my C drive Win 10 installation or the programs in Program Files/Data on the D? It seems good to me but just wanted to ask.

maarkr, Jul 16, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    You can rename it and try like that, if nothing makes troubles, than you can remove it.

CountMike, Jul 17, 2016
  7. maarkr Win User
    went ahead and used the Windows cleanup to get rid of the Windows.old that I renamed on the D drive... worked like a charm... so far.

maarkr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I remove an old version of Win 7 on my D drive? - Similar Threads - remove old version

2. Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?: I cannot find my D Drive on my Microsoft Service Laptop 2. It is updated to Windows 11. I tried rescanning for disks and that did not work and I've tried a few other methods. Can I have some more suggestions?...
  3. Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Can I Not Find my D Drive?: I cannot find my D Drive on my Microsoft Service Laptop 2. It is updated to Windows 11. I tried rescanning for disks and that did not work and I've tried a few other methods. Can I have some more suggestions?...
  4. remove d drive as a system drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    remove d drive as a system drive.: hi, I am trying to move everything on the main c drive to a bigger drive and make that be my main c drive but d drive thinks it is a system drive and it is really just a data drive. how do i make windows remove d as a system drive so i can complete my main task.thanks...
  5. Can I delete this files that are on my D:\ drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I delete this files that are on my D:\ drive?: Hello, I think this is my second post on this community and I wanted to ask if I could delete all the files that are on the D:\ drive since I want to use it to put my games on that drive and some of the files take a lot of storage. Here Im leaving a screenshot of the files...
  6. AFTER UPGRADE TO WIN 10--CAN I DELETE OLD WIN 7 FOLDERS?

AFTER UPGRADE TO WIN 10--CAN I DELETE OLD WIN 7 FOLDERS?: I recently upgraded an older HP Desktop purchased mid 2011 from Win 7 to Win 10. After some research and help from MS Community, I have it running satisfactorily. I do, however, have a number of folders left behind from the Win 7 OS. I can identify them from the "2011" date....
  7. I cannot delete old Win 7 backups on D drive from Win 10

I cannot delete old Win 7 backups on D drive from Win 10: I have updated to Win 10, and now cannot delete any old backups on my D drive which is almost full. Win 10 does not allow me to change the backup device to D so I can delete them....
  8. Remove old Win 10 Versions

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove old Win 10 Versions: I have done this before, but for some reason I don't have a clue! I am running an Intel Stick & need the memory space! 69900
  9. Can I remove Win. 8 Recovery on D drive. I now have Win. 10

Can I remove Win. 8 Recovery on D drive. I now have Win. 10: I would like to Remove the D partition drive or remove just the Win. 8 information. from it. When I bought this system 3 yrs. ago it was Win. 8. I have since updated this computer to Win. 10 Anniversary Update. When I do a Image Backup on my External Hard Drive, it will also...
  10. Removing old D:\Windows

Removing old D:\Windows: It seems my old windows 7 directory (D:\Windows) is extremely difficult to remove. I already took ownership of all files (via Win10), but Microsoft, as usual, very aggressively hinders you in doing what you want to do. How do I delete these files?! Even just opening an...