Windows 10: Can I remove the EFI Partition from a non system disk?

Discus and support Can I remove the EFI Partition from a non system disk? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a drive that I want to use as a backup drive for a Windows 10 machine. The problem is the old drive has a boot partition on it that is making... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by maestroc, Aug 16, 2015.

1. maestroc Win User

Can I remove the EFI Partition from a non system disk?

I have a drive that I want to use as a backup drive for a Windows 10 machine. The problem is the old drive has a boot partition on it that is making Windows 10 go nuts every time I plug it in. If I wait until after the machine boots and then plug it in via USB adapter then I can get to the files but I want to install it inside the machine permanently.

A photo of the Disk Manager is below. How do I (or should I) remove that EFI System Partition? The Disk Manager won't let me do it.

Can I remove the EFI Partition from a non system disk? [​IMG]

:)

maestroc, Aug 16, 2015
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Formating Efi system partition as FAT32

During an install you can remove all the critical partitions, of which the EFI System partition is one. You do not have to pre-format a drive during an install. Just remove the Critical partitions ( MSR, EFI, Recovery and OS)and leave unallocated space.
    The install will take care of the rest.

You can delete the partition and use the Diskpart create partition EFI command with qualifiers, if necessary. If you have already created the partition, try using Diskpart from a command prompt (Shift+F10 during the install) and format.

If you need to convert a drive from MBR to GPT or vice versa, you need to remove ALL partitions.

Saltgrass, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    How do I move EFI System Partition from a partition at higher offset to another ?

Hi,

To better assist you with your query on how to move ESP, we suggest posting it in our Microsoft TechNet
    forum. We have highly technical users and IT professionals there that can address your concern.

Please post back if you have any Windows concerns for further assistance.

Riel Alc, Aug 16, 2015
  4. bobvance Win User

Download and install a partition tool.
    I generally use:
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free
    for online maintenance.

If that gives you a problem because it's in use or some such,
    MiniTool let's you create a bootablw USB or CD,
    so you can do offline maintenance.
    However, I've never used it.
    I use Gparted-live for my bootable offline partition maintenance.
    Anyway, boot from the CD and none of the drives will be in use
    so you should be able to delete it.

bv

bobvance, Aug 17, 2015
  5. maestroc Win User
    Do I risk any problems accessing the data on the other partitions on that drive if I remove that first EFI one?

maestroc, Aug 20, 2015
  6. bobvance Win User
    No, on a non-boot drive, it's just another one of the 128 possible partitions you can have on that drive.
    The EFI partition is only special at boot time when booting off that drive on a machine with UEFI firmware, instead of the old BIOS-type firmware.

Is your system set to boot off USB first, rather than the first SATA drive,
    such that it tries to boot from that drive when you do a reboot while it is plugged in?
    Is that what you mean by "go nuts".

bv

bobvance, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I remove the EFI Partition from a non system disk? - Similar Threads - remove EFI Partition

2. Is it safe to remove this "RST" entry from the EFI System Partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to remove this "RST" entry from the EFI System Partition?: the output of `bcdedit /enum firmware` is the following: Firmware Boot Manager --------------------- identifier {fwbootmgr} displayorder {bootmgr} {eb730034-e0bc-11ed-94cc-806e6f6e6963} {f379c659-0d9c-11ee-94ff-806e6f6e6963} {eb73002e-e0bc-11ed-94cc-806e6f6e6963} timeout 0...
  3. Is it safe to remove this "RST" entry from the EFI System Partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to remove this "RST" entry from the EFI System Partition?: the output of `bcdedit /enum firmware` is the following: Firmware Boot Manager --------------------- identifier {fwbootmgr} displayorder {bootmgr} {eb730034-e0bc-11ed-94cc-806e6f6e6963} {f379c659-0d9c-11ee-94ff-806e6f6e6963} {eb73002e-e0bc-11ed-94cc-806e6f6e6963} timeout 0...
  4. can i move EFI Partitions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i move EFI Partitions?: I wanted to extend a particular partition Specifically drive C:, as I have about 80gb of unallocated space, and the C: partition is completely full, however, there is an EFI partition in the way, and as windows has no functionality with assigning two different sections of a...
  5. System, EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    System, EFI System Partition: Two questions please -1] I had installed UBUNTU on my desktop PC, operating with Windows 10 PRO version 21H1; OS Build 19043.1202, and later removed the UBUNTU software. UBUNTU was installed on a separate SSD i.e., not on the SSD where the Windows OS is installed.The UBUNTU...
  6. Remove Acronis folder from EFI partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Acronis folder from EFI partition: Hi , Acronis True Image gave me a lot of headache. I uninstalled it using revo uninstaller. However, when i use a partition master and explore the EFI folder. I can see a folder called Acronis. In this Acronis folder there are two files. Bootwiz.efi and Bootwiz.XML. Can I...
  7. How to remove EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove EFI System Partition: This problem did not exist before but I must have messed something up. How it looks currently: https://i.imgur.com/mXvgQBY.png How it used to look (from another pc): https://i.imgur.com/RuvuIWf.png Is there anyway to transfer the EFI things into the C drive? I have tried...
  8. I cannot remove an EFI partition on a non-system drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cannot remove an EFI partition on a non-system drive.: Hi I just uninstalled Ubuntu from my secondary HDD drive and there is an unallocated partition that I can't make my original windows partition to extend to. This is because there is and EFI partition in the middle of in ~500mb and I can't delete it. I would like to retain my...
  9. Disk Partition EFI Management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Partition EFI Management: DISK PARTITION INCLUDING EFI SYSTEM PARTITION AND RECOVERY DRIVE PARTITION. Earlier my File Explorer used to display C drive and D drive Recovery Drive which majorly contains only the recovery file. However, after a windows update a long time back, the D drive stopped...
  10. Removing old EFI System partition and converting 3 partitions into 1.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing old EFI System partition and converting 3 partitions into 1.: I recently upgraded my PC by installing an m.2 SSD which upon I reinstalled Windows 10. The PC works great, load times are almost nonexistent and I'm very happy. My problem is now with the old regular SSD. It was set into 3 partitions, a ~370MB reserved drive partition 1, a...