Windows 10: Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?"

Discus and support Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since I started using my own computer, there's been the Windows Partition, and this other partition that the Boot Manager refers to as "System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MrMii Win 10, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?"

Since I started using my own computer, there's been the Windows Partition, and this other partition that the Boot Manager refers to as "System Restore." Loading it would take me to a screen telling me that I should press the green button to revert my system back its original Windows XP installation. Obviously I don't want that so I push the red one. The original XP installation was on a Dell manufactured machine, "Precision Workstation 390."

This partition has been around for years because I've cloned my disk to upgrade it in various ways such as capacity and now to an SSD. Even though I've only had one Windows version on here at a time, it always brought up the Boot Manager with "Windows ____" and "System Restore." I just removed it from Boot Manager through msconfig since I don't need it. However, the partition I assume that it's on still remains visible in Disk Management.

Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?" [​IMG]

I want to remove this partition from the SSD to take advantage of the extra 400 megabytes, but don't want to mess something up and prevent Windows from booting. Since it says "Recovery," I halfway think that it's what the Recovery Environment is stored on, but also that it's for the "Revert to XP" menu. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

:)

MrMii Win 10, Feb 5, 2018
  2. farby Win User

Gear Spinning & Restarting after Windows 10 TP installation

You can't ..

farby, Feb 5, 2018
  3. Chrisacos Win User
    Which recovery partitons/drives can i remove?

I have 4 recovery drives/partitions, it seems excesive to have ~8GB of recovery partitions across 4 partitions. my question is in windows 10, if I don't plan on EVER restoring to factory default and I am comfortable using an external recovery drive (like
    a windows 10 installer USB) can I delete all of them safely? or even most of them? I'm thinking the 100MB partition is where the bios sits, am I right? and can I safely get rid of the others without windows freaking out? and if so how do I do it so the one
    that shows as a diferent drive gets integrated into the C drive?
    Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?" [​IMG]

Chrisacos, Feb 5, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?"

If you remove the recovery partition, you won't be able to use Windows' built-in recovery partition boot-up and boot repair facilities. That's OK, though -- as long as you maintain a current, working bootable USB flash drive (or similar device) to use for emergency repairs instead. If you do that, you can use a tool such as MiniTool Partition Wizard (Free) to add the extra space to your OS partition. Do not mess with EFI (usually 100 MB) or MSR (16 MB) partitions, though -- they are absolutely necessary to boot, and your PC won't start properly without them.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 5, 2018
  5. I do think I'll keep the partition in that case, rather than search for some of my flash drives that seemed to have vanished without a trace. My next step would probably be a larger SSD if I want more space. Wow, unintentional rhyme. Thanks for the response Ed, I will keep it in mind if I do decide to remove it. *Smile

MrMii Win 10, Feb 5, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    Actually only the EFI partition is essential. The MSR partition is for future requirements rather vaguely specified by MS.
    If you google web on MSR, you cannot get a definitive reason for its existence, or any specific example of it being used now. Some allege it is to handle bitlocker needs, but I have never found any evidence to support that assertion.

In the end, it is so small, deleting it is rather pointless. However, even tools like minitool have difficulty in moving it, making space reclamation harder. There are ways but hassle. On my tablet, I delete it so I can maximise space (unallocated space before it) for C drive.

In the end, leave it alone unless you need space, but deleting it does not cause any issues (yet).

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?"

1. Can I Remove This "Recovery Partition?" - Similar Threads - Remove Recovery Partition

2. can i fix my WinRE recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i fix my WinRE recovery partition: i tried to follow the instructions i got from the update and managed to format my recovery drive.no great big deal every thing else still works except cant reset pc. if i re install from a cd will thatfix the recovery drive. or is there any thing i can do now using command? i...
  3. KB5034441: can I delete both recovery partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5034441: can I delete both recovery partitions: KB5034441: this update prevents security updates, when will it be fixed?If never, I have deleted 1 of 2 recovery partitions, if I delete the second, will my PC still boot ok? will this remove WinRE?...
  4. How can I create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a recovery partition?: So yesterday, I clean installed 11 Pro for Workstations using DISM, and I thought applying the image might create a recovery partition. But it's not there. How can I create a recovery partition? Also I would like to access it....
  5. How can I create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I create a recovery partition?: So yesterday, I clean installed 11 Pro for Workstations using DISM, and I thought applying the image might create a recovery partition. But it's not there. How can I create a recovery partition? Also I would like to access it....
  6. Can I remove these other recovery partitions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I remove these other recovery partitions?: I have 3 Windows 10 (first version, current, and fast ring which I'm about to delete) on my PC and I also have 3 recovery partition. Can I remove the two other partitions but still my Windows won't be affected? Also, what 2 partitions should I remove?[ATTACH]...
  7. Can I Delete These 2 Recovery Partitions?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Delete These 2 Recovery Partitions?: I upgraded to 1903 about 2 weeks ago (6/17) and I've notice that I now have two recovery partitions. [img] Neither of them is enabled. [img] There is a Recovery folder on "C" but its empty. [img] One of the recovery partitions was created on the day of the upgrade and...
  8. Which recovery partitions and folders can safely be removed?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Which recovery partitions and folders can safely be removed?: v1903 installed on a ~256GB MBR disk. Code: C:\Recovery [folder] 4.86 GB used <unnamed> [partition] 534 MB "Healthy, (Recovery Partition)" Recovery Image [partition] 11.72 GB "Healthy, (Primary Partition)"[/quote] I'm hoping to tidy up this hard drive. Please could someone...
  9. Remove Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Recovery Partition: I just upgraded to version 1511. It recreated the 450 mb recovery partition I don't want and I don't need it!! Is there a way to remove it without doing a clean install of Windows am use diskpart? James 43883
  10. Can I delete the recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I delete the recovery partition?: After the update to version 1511 build 10586 Windows has created a 450 Mb recovery partition on my SSD drive. I have already deleted the created Windows_OLD folder as well as the hidden folder with update files. Can I seamlessly and without risk also delete the recovery...