Windows 10: Can I remove Win. 8 Recovery on D drive. I now have Win. 10

Discus and support Can I remove Win. 8 Recovery on D drive. I now have Win. 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to Remove the D partition drive or remove just the Win. 8 information. from it. When I bought this system 3 yrs. ago it was Win. 8. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sonjstar, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Sonjstar Win User

Can I remove Win. 8 Recovery on D drive. I now have Win. 10

I would like to Remove the D partition drive or remove just the Win. 8 information. from it. When I bought this system 3 yrs. ago it was Win. 8. I have since updated this computer to Win. 10 Anniversary Update. When I do a Image Backup on my External Hard Drive, it will also back up this D Recovery. If something happens to this computer, I don't want to have to recover it by using this Recovery Drive for Win. 8. Also it's using GB of space on my backup image, that is useless. Would appreciate help with this problem, before I start doing a Image Backup again on my computer.

:)

Sonjstar, Sep 16, 2016
  2. 154Neil Win User

could delete the recovery partition

My HP PC came with Windows 8 or 8.1 and I have since upgraded to Windows 10. I just created a recovery drive using the Control Panel\Recovery\create a recovery drive.

When the recovery completed it said that I could delete the recovery partition (which I did not do). If I were to use the recovery partition on the hard drive (SS drive) would I have a Win 10 reinstall or a Win 8? Also, if I were to use the USB drive that
    I created for a recovery drive would it be a Win 10 or Win 8 reinstall?

OT:

Win 10 Recovery

154Neil, Sep 16, 2016
  3. Caimbeul Win User
    Recovery partion and recovery drive on win 10

I use an HP Envy which I purchased with Win 8.1. Have since upgraded to Win 10 , creators update (1709). The recovery drive on my pc (D) is dated 2014, ie pre win 10. I do not want to go back to windows 8.1, 1, can I replace the 8.1 recovery drive with
    windows 10 1709 and if that is possible, how do I do it ?

2, I would also like to create a USB recovery drive as an extra backup, what size USB do I use and which format ?

3, If I use recovery (after creating it) will it restore windows to the latest version of windows and remove early updates which are now incorporated in the latest version ?

Campbell

Caimbeul, Sep 16, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Since that partition has a drive letter assigned you should be able to use Disk Management to remove the partition. That will create unallocated space which usually Disk Management can Extend C: into. But then that was before the UEFI features, haven't had occasion to do it since. One could boot into a GPARTED LiveCD and remove it but I haven't seen if the boot loader of Win10 would be affected. You should be able to exclude that partition from the backup.

Berton, Sep 16, 2016
  5. Sonjstar Win User
    No I can't exclude the D drive from the Image Backup. My backup program includes the C & D drives. I had my friend check her backup program, and hers is like mine. They both backup C and D drive. She has a Dell computer and has nothing on her D drive. I have a HP computer and it came with the D drive with the Win 8 Recovery on it.

Sonjstar, Sep 16, 2016
  6. Mc Ruff Win User
    What backup program are you using to image your computer?

Mc Ruff, Sep 16, 2016
  7. Sonjstar Win User
    NTI Backup Now EZ 5. The program came on a 1T Toshiba External Hardrive, and I just bought the newer update program.

Sonjstar, Sep 16, 2016
  8. f14tomcat Win User

You have no options to pick and choose what you backup?

f14tomcat, Sep 16, 2016
  9. Sonjstar Win User
    No. These are my options. I've been choosing the C and D drive.

Can I remove Win. 8 Recovery on D drive. I now have Win. 10 [​IMG]

Sonjstar, Sep 16, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    Can you not choose only C: drive?

Berton, Sep 16, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Use Macrium Reflect Free - by far the most recommended tool on this forum.

You can choose what ever partitions you like to backup.

cereberus, Sep 16, 2016
  12. Sonjstar Win User
    If I could choose only C drive I would. As you can see, from my illustration of what my choices are, I can't just choose C drive.

Sonjstar, Sep 16, 2016
  13. Sonjstar Win User

I saw in a Forum a girl trying to explain Macrium Reflect to another person, and I didn't think I would ever be able to figure it out. That's why I never tried to use it.

Sonjstar, Sep 16, 2016
  14. Bree New Member
    Slightly less frightening (though said by some here to be less reliable than Macrium) is the built-in 'Windows 7 Backup & Restore' that's included with Windows 10. I've used that to make System Images (and previously with Win7) and never had a problem with it. In fact, the system I'm running now was restored from one about a year ago (I played around with first release of W10 a bit too much and wanted to get back to square one). Plus - with Backup & Restore you CAN choose not to backup your D: partition.

Regarding deleting the D: recovery partition. At 15.59 GB it's unlikely to contain anything other than the recovery image, Toshiba's OEM recovery image for my (as was) Win7 laptop was 13GB. On my Toshiba there was also a D: recovery drive, though unlike your system, the C: and D: partitions were each about half the disk. The actual recovery image was in a HDDRecovery folder on D:, the rest of the free space being intended for user data. I've deleted my HDDRecovery folder* and now use the free space for other things.

* actually, I still have a system image of the original HDD, just in case.

15. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Sep 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Can I remove Win. 8 Recovery on D drive. I now have Win. 10 - Similar Threads - remove Recovery drive

2. Can I install "unsigned" Win 8 driver for monitor on Win 10?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can I install "unsigned" Win 8 driver for monitor on Win 10?: I have an Asus ProArt PA248Q monitor that is showing as "Generic PnP Monitor" in the Device Manager. I'm trying to update it to the manufacturer drivers but the only one they have is the Win 8 64-bit but whenever I try to update the driver, it tells me it is digitally...
  3. Can I use the actual theme of win 8 on win 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I use the actual theme of win 8 on win 10?: Hi! I much preferred the 8 theme. Multiple reasons: Better picked colors for the desktop background more pleasant looking taskbar with high transparency, which blended in better with the rest of the theme. Win10's is just off-color and smudgy looking. Centered titlebar...
  4. win 10 recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 10 recovery drive: the recovery drive deleted my data drive without prompting me I am saying this for the sake of clarity - that I did not choose a wrong option I created a recovery drive with the understanding that it would recover the operating system it did not recover the operating...
  5. win 10 recovery drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    win 10 recovery drive: the recovery drive deleted my data drive without prompting me I am saying this for the sake of clarity - that I did not choose a wrong option I created a recovery drive with the understanding that it would recover the operating system it did not recover the operating...
  6. Win 10 Recovery Drive

Win 10 Recovery Drive: Two of our computers are store bought and came with windows installed. I am curious after creating recovery USB drives for them, will they require me to enter a product key if I have to use them? I don't see a windows product key in any of the documentation for either PC....
  7. System recovery question - Win 8 / Win 10

System recovery question - Win 8 / Win 10: I am working on an HP laptop which was bought with WIndows 8, but now has a corrupt, infected Windows10 installation. Having exhausted all the less invasive options, I am now looking at using the System Recovery option to get a clean version of Windows I can build on....
  8. Can I remove an old version of Win 7 on my D drive?

Can I remove an old version of Win 7 on my D drive?: Can I remove an old version of Win 7 on my d drive? It was my C drive years ago and I kept it for backup after I installed an SSD with Win 10 as the C drive. I don't need to get every little bit off, but can I just delete the Windows folder? I know I've installed a few...
  9. Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?

Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?: As topic says, friends laptop had Win 8 and he updated to Win 10. Now I wonder if he can install a clean Win 10 through USB with his Win 8 serialkey. 40889
  10. Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?: I am doing some OS maintenance on friends Surface Pro 2 currently running Win 10 Pro x64. One of the things I want to do is implement a backup process using Macrium Reflect. The HDD has a Recovery partition on it of around 6GB (full) but I don't know whether it's current...