Windows 10: Can I replace an entire drive with a symbolic link?

Discus and support Can I replace an entire drive with a symbolic link? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I try to use the same basic structure on all my computers: drive C for Windows, D for games, E for user data, F for bulk storage. On my laptop (which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NJMorf, Jun 25, 2017.

1. NJMorf Win User

Can I replace an entire drive with a symbolic link?

I try to use the same basic structure on all my computers: drive C for Windows, D for games, E for user data, F for bulk storage. On my laptop (which is very much my secondary machine and rarely used) I typically split the single HDD into these four parts, but I figure that's fairly inefficient given that the spare space is split across all partitions.

I've therefore created the F partition as a token 1GB space and created symlinks to replace each of the folders in the root. I'd like to do something similar with the D partition, but that involves more folders, so rather than create one link per folder, I was wondering if I can create a single symlink for the root folder of the F partition and point it at a single folder on another partition. Is this possible?

Alternatively, I think I could remove the partition completely and then mount a folder as drive F. I've found an article showing a way to do this, but it says that anything I delete from that folder will bypass the recycle bin, which isn't what I'd prefer to happen. Is there a better way to do it?

Am I better off just creating separate symlinks for each folder in the root of the drive? There aren't all that many of them, so it's doable, but I'd prefer a single link if possible.

Thanks in advance.

:)

NJMorf, Jun 25, 2017
  2. GT82 Win User

Can you protect or encrypt an entire folder with a fingerprint swipe in Windows 10?

Can you protect or encrypt an entire folder with a fingerprint swipe in Windows 10?

I have Protector Suite which has a 'vault' that you can put files in to encrypt, and then unlock with a fingerprint swipe, but it is old software that isn't being updated anymore and I'd rather move on to something more up to date. When I upgraded to Windows
    10 (keeping my files etc), Protector Suite still worked, however the native Windows 10 fingerprint software did not recognise my fingerprint scanner, presumably due to some conflict between the two programs.

However, I then did a clean install of Windows 10 over the update, and all of a sudden Windows recognised my scanner and allowed me to log in - which I like. However I really liked the protected vault that I had and would like to be able to do a similar
    thing but natively through Windows. Is this possible?

If this feature doesn't exist, are there any plans to introduce it?

3. GT82 Win User

Thanks - It's nice to get a quick reply directly from a member of staff from Microsoft!

It would be great if you could implement that feature in a future update

Thema:

Can I replace an entire drive with a symbolic link?

1. Can I replace an entire drive with a symbolic link? - Similar Threads - replace entire drive

2. Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links: My C: drive is a 106GB SSD and I'm running out of space. I found that a few files like appdata and program files were taking up a lot of space. I heard that you can use symbolic links to save some space. I read a bit online and was confused on how to do this. Would I copy the...
  3. Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links: My C: drive is a 106GB SSD and I'm running out of space. I found that a few files like appdata and program files were taking up a lot of space. I heard that you can use symbolic links to save some space. I read a bit online and was confused on how to do this. Would I copy the...
  4. Freeing up space on C: drive with symbolic links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Symbolic links/Folder links

Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  6. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  7. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Symbolic link deletion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Symbolic link deletion: Hello,I am having an issue. When I have tried to remove symlink using commands del, mkdir, unlink etc, they not helped to unlink. Either access is denied or file is not ok. I can't create and create a new symlink....
  9. Symbolic links inside linked folder

Symbolic links inside linked folder: Hi I'm creating symbolic links of one folder (Missions folder) to server so that the server can load the missions from the linked folder and this works. But the problem is that when I create symbolic links inside the sub folders (of Missions folder) then the server fails to...
  10. Symbolic Links (Soft Links)

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic Links (Soft Links): Greetings, I have a large number of symbolic links (soft links) on my PC that I want to migrate to a new machine with an identical directory structure. When I use various backup or copy programs that clone files (bit copy), the symbolic links do not work on the target...