Windows 10: Can I restore backup M7 W10 image on new SSD and keep my HDD intact

Discus and support Can I restore backup M7 W10 image on new SSD and keep my HDD intact in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am thinking of buying a new SSD and adding it to my desktop PC I have a Macrium 7 backup image of Windows 10 as well as other program files and data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Jul 10, 2018.

1. provlima Win User

Can I restore backup M7 W10 image on new SSD and keep my HDD intact

I am thinking of buying a new SSD and adding it to my desktop PC

I have a Macrium 7 backup image of Windows 10 as well as other program files and data files of my current HDD.

Is it possible to restore my macrium W10 image to a new SSD and leave the current HDD intact with the OS and data files if I make the SSD the bootup drive using my PC's BIOS?

:)

provlima, Jul 10, 2018
  2. Smears Win User

Restore Image or Clone from HDD to new SSD?

I have a single, non-partitioned (C:\ drive only) 500GB HDD in a desktop PC, using approx. 80 percent of it. I want to install a 500GB SSD, and clone or restore an image of the HDD to it. Once that's complete and successful, I plan to wipe the 500GB HDD
    and then move my large libraries of media from the newly installed SSD to it. My future holds lots of video editing and compiling, so the extra storage will help, along with the better performance via the SSD (and upgraded RAM as well).

I'm unable to find after much research a definitive answer as to whether cloning the HDD to the SSD is better than restoring an image of the HDD to the SSD. I've read where cloning will carry over bad sectors and such where imaging will not. I think I'm
    leaning toward image restore, keeping a copy of it on an external 1TB drive I have, to which I can periodically do image backups of the new, separate drives.

I'd also like to find a tutorial re: the same. Thanks in advance for any help.

Smears, Jul 10, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    • Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    • Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    • click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Can I restore backup M7  W10 image on new SSD and keep my HDD intact [​IMG]
    • Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    • Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jul 10, 2018
  4. TRoss5 Win User

W10 System Image Backup

When I use the W10 System Image Backup, it hangs at the step where it says it is "Preparing to create backup" and eventually times out leaving error codes 0x80780021 and 0x81000101. How do I fix this? My machine is Dell XP13, Core I7, 8th Gen, 500 SSD
    and the hard drive is encrypted, but the backup says it will save an unencrypted version on my external backup hard drive.

TRoss5, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I restore backup M7 W10 image on new SSD and keep my HDD intact - Similar Threads - restore backup W10

2. Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?: Sorry the below is a bit long winded but I wanted to include all steps that I actioned…Laptop purchased with W11 and created W11 updated backup image to internal and external drives.Downgraded from W11 to W10 and created W10 updated backup image to internal and external...
  3. Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?: Sorry the below is a bit long winded but I wanted to include all steps that I actioned…Laptop purchased with W11 and created W11 updated backup image to internal and external drives.Downgraded from W11 to W10 and created W10 updated backup image to internal and external...
  4. Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD

Restore an existing windows 10 system image not to the old failing HDD but to a new SSD: Hi, it's really frustrating that Microsoft makes things so unideal and tough for us users. The new SSD is connected to the computer through a USB 3.0 to SATA cable, so right now it's external. My computer still runs using the old failing HDD, so I need to get this done...
  6. Why can't I restore a Disk Image backup to a neww SSD?

Why can't I restore a Disk Image backup to a neww SSD?: I have a very long story. I'm sure I must have tried everything multiple times. I will give the short version. New SSD - tried to clone old HDD using Clonezilla. Would not work because SSD is smaller then old HDD. Installed AOMEI Partition Assistant which will clone...
  7. My laptop crashed, but HDD intact: Can I restore the Win 10 Installation + Programs on a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop crashed, but HDD intact: Can I restore the Win 10 Installation + Programs on a...: So my Dell XPS laptop doesn't boot anymore. But the harddrive is still okay. So if I connect that harddrive to my new laptop as an external HDD. Is there a tool that can pull a backup from there, of the windows installation + all the installed programs? submitted by...
  8. Backup/Image of my Laptop with a SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup/Image of my Laptop with a SSD: My relatively new Lenono Laptop's Windows 10 SSD suddenly stopped working and the shop said it is DEAD. So upgraded the SSD to a 1 tb but I needs some advise. I would like to get a Backup or Image software of my 1tb SSD to a 1-5tb HD in case is fails again. What would be...
  9. Restoring HDD image to SSD

Restoring HDD image to SSD: I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management,...
  10. Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.

Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.: Hi folks, hope everyone is well. I have made some backup of windows 10 that was installed on a SSD and just to make sure it would work ok, I installed the backup on a standard HDD, but getting lots of problems when I actually reach the desktop, monitor keeps flickering...