Windows 10: Can I reuse my Windows 7 Product Key in Windows 10?

Discus and support Can I reuse my Windows 7 Product Key in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi at all! I am using Kubuntu and I must say that it's a very good OS, but I also need Windows because of the lack of programs, such as video editing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by FonzTech, Aug 15, 2015.

1. FonzTech Win User

Can I reuse my Windows 7 Product Key in Windows 10?

Hi at all! I am using Kubuntu and I must say that it's a very good OS, but I also need Windows because of the lack of programs, such as video editing programs and games. So, I have a question:
    - Can I download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's Site and use my old Windows 7 Product Code? Or I have to install Windows 7 first, then upgrade to 10?
    Thanks in advance for any answer!

:)

FonzTech, Aug 15, 2015

2. can i reuse my product key later in the same system

i have serious problem with my win 10 which 9/10 times has 100 percent disk usage even for playing a song. The system hangs up for at least 10 secs. when i contacted lenovo they confirmed that it has nothing to do with hardware so contact microsoft and i
    have already posted the question related to 100 percent disk usage but the solutions dint work for me so i thought of trying ubuntu, in case if i dont like their user interface can i get back to windows 10 with my previous product key or are there any final
    step of solution that you could prefer me for solving this issue.......

(my lap was preloaded with win 10 and not a upgraded one)

thanking you in advance for any replies

ramalingam30061997, Aug 15, 2015
  3. can i reuse my product key later in the same system

Hi Ram,

If its a retail copy, not an OEM System Builder license, you can transfer it as long as it is removed from the current computer it is installed on.

1 product key, 1 license, you can't perform multiple installs using the same product key.

Reference:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/windows-10-uprade-product-key/3ccc0647-a4d9-4da8-8167-f2336d6f982d

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Welcome to the forums Fonz! *Smile
    You'll have to upgrade, then Microsoft will make use of your W7 product key for you. *Wink
    It'll still be a valid key after that but, that's the only route you'll be able to take to qualify for the free upgrade.

Edwin, Aug 15, 2015
  5. You have to do the upgrade because MS provides no way to manually enter existing Win7/8/8.1 keys to activate Win10.

Mark Phelps, Aug 15, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think you forgot the important bit too.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE the W7/W8/W8.1 OS BEFORE upgrading to W10. !! At W10 upgrade DO NOT ENTER ANY PRODUCT KEYS.

After the initial upgrade you can re-install CLEAN - as before DO NOT ENTER ANY PRODUCT KEYS when installing. Just hit the SKIP or Do this later options if prompted for a product key.

You can't simply re-install your old OS and then W10 over the top -- You must apply updates to old OS and activate before proceeding.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 15, 2015
  7. FonzTech Win User
    Ok, thanks for all! After the upgrading, I will get a new product key or I have to do the upgrade every time I want to do a clean install?

FonzTech, Aug 22, 2015
  8. Can I reuse my Windows 7 Product Key in Windows 10?

kdenlive I thought is a great video editor for linux, having used it quite a bit. I found much of the others very limited or did not work.

sdowney717, Aug 22, 2015
  9. Once you have activated an upgrade, you can clean install and will not get a new key.

I did a clean install of win 8.1 pro from a downloaded win8.1 pro iso, and it activated with the key I retrieved before the clean install using belarc. Win10 is the same.

sdowney717, Aug 22, 2015
  10. Alley Cat Win User
    I installed Win 7, then activated it. I did not do any updates to 7 before upgrading to 10 and it worked fine.

Alley Cat, Aug 22, 2015
  11. exactly, no need to install all the updates on the prior os. I experienced the same thing.

sdowney717, Aug 22, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    After you have a successful upgrade to Windows 10 and it is activated, you can do a clean install of Windows 10 on the same computer. As long as you install the same version (Home or Pro). When the clean install asks you for a product key, you click the tiny little text that allows you to skip it. Do NOT enter any product key! If your upgrade was previously activated on the computer, the hardware information will be stored on Microsoft activation servers and the clean install will activate itself based on that stored information without a product key being entered. The product key that Windows 10 gets for itself during the upgrade activation will be the same product key that millions of upgrade users have gotten.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I reuse my Windows 7 Product Key in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - reuse Product Key

2. Product key reuse

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product key reuse: I recently purchased a Lenovo IdeaPad y580 for gaming purposes. It came preinstalled with windows 10 64 but which had been activated. Now most of the games I'm playing are old and are designed for 32 bit. Most run fine but some very important ones like Deadpool and others...
  3. Product key reuse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key reuse: I recently purchased a Lenovo IdeaPad y580 for gaming purposes. It came preinstalled with windows 10 64 but which had been activated. Now most of the games I'm playing are old and are designed for 32 bit. Most run fine but some very important ones like Deadpool and others...
  4. Reusing a product key.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reusing a product key.: Hi! I'm currently building a new AMD PC, due to my previous Intel PC being unusable. I was wondering is there anyway to disable the copy of windows on the old PC and use that key on the new one?...
  5. Reusing a product key.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reusing a product key.: Hi! I'm currently building a new AMD PC, due to my previous Intel PC being unusable. I was wondering is there anyway to disable the copy of windows on the old PC and use that key on the new one?...
  6. reusing windows 10 product key

reusing windows 10 product key: Hello, I had to changing out my motherboard and I would like to reinstall window with the same product key that was used. I do not have the computer doesn't work and is the reason for a new motherboard. How can I recover this windows 10 product key?...
  7. reusing windows 10 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reusing windows 10 product key: Hello, I had to changing out my motherboard and I would like to reinstall window with the same product key that was used. I do not have the computer doesn't work and is the reason for a new motherboard. How can I recover this windows 10 product key?...
  8. reusing windows 10 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Reuse my windows 10 product key

Reuse my windows 10 product key: Hey guys, Recently my laptop kicked the bucket so instead of getting it repaired I'm building my own desktop. Just wanted to know if its possible to use my old windows 10 product key on my new device seeing as the old laptop ceases to be? Thanks...
  10. reusing my product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    reusing my product key: If I purchase windows 10 License key now and I upgrade on the PC I'm using now. If I go buy a new PC a week from now am I able to reuse my windows 10 product key on the new PC I purchased????...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reusing windows 7 key for windows 10

2. reuse windows 7 product key for windows 10

3. my pc was stolen can i resuse my win 10

4. can i reuse a windows 10 product key,
  5. windows 10 reuse windows 7 key