Windows 10: Can I run the Windows 10 tech preview after the end date?

Discus and support Can I run the Windows 10 tech preview after the end date? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just installed it two days ago and it fixed the problems I had with Windows 7. I don't want to go back because it's just going to be... Sh**. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by husseinHr, Apr 14, 2015.

1. husseinHr Win User

Can I run the Windows 10 tech preview after the end date?

I just installed it two days ago and it fixed the problems I had with Windows 7. I don't want to go back because it's just going to be... Sh**. I really hope I can still use it!

:)

husseinHr, Apr 14, 2015

2. Could install Last tech review after 29 July, even came before or after 29 July?

Running W10Pro on VM...

If want run win 10 pro in VM virtual machine free ,...

I must install preview tech now free.... or can install after 29 July Till September the W10pro tech preview?

Or preview tech should stop after 29 July?

Anyway and MOST IMPORTANT, Could install Last tech review after 29 July, even came before or after 29 July?

Lse123polis, Apr 14, 2015
  3. FilChris Win User
    Windows Technical Preview

Good Day! Will I have a free upgrade when I am using currently the Tech preview? Or does it have to be 8.1 or 7? (Using Tech Preview as day to day OS , Uninstalled 8.1)

When Windows 10 is released officially, Will Windows Tech Preview end?

Preview Build 10130

FilChris, Apr 14, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

You can't run windows tech preview beyond Oct 1, 2015. But, if you have a working windows 7 and a valid license for it, you can upgrade free for life to Windows 10. In order to do that, you MUST have a valid Windows 7 running at the time of the free upgrade. There are many articles on this forum discussing free upgrades from MS, just search for them. In the meantime, you can continue to run Windows 10 and get new builds and updates.

Do not totally throw away your Windows 7. You will need to have it installed. You can run dual boot, or in a VM for now, or re-install Windows 7 later to get the Windows 10 upgrade free.

Look at all the info in this forum and on Microsoft sites.

Hope this helps clear up up a bit. *Smile

f14tomcat, Apr 14, 2015
  5. Williams Win User
    Some time you will have to buy the software, in order to be fully fuctioning.

And its a free update from windows 7.

Williams, Apr 14, 2015
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    see my post above......

f14tomcat, Apr 14, 2015
  7. husseinHr Win User
    It does! Thank you very much. I couldn't make the dual-boot work because I couldn't partition the HDD (wouldn't let me). I will install W7 again to upgrade later *Smile Maybe a VM will do too.

husseinHr, Apr 14, 2015
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Glad it helped! Post a screenshot of your Disk Management display, maybe it will show why you can't partition. You may have too many primary partitions or not enough space to shrink a volume. I'll take a look if you'd like? Remember, if someone gives what you consider helpful hints or guidance, you may give them a "Rep" (lower left corner of the post that helped). Not required, your choice. *Smile

f14tomcat, Apr 14, 2015
  9. husseinHr Win User
    Just gave you the Rep. I tried earlier but my keyboard wouldn't work on Google Chrome.

husseinHr, Apr 14, 2015
  10. husseinHr Win User
    Can I run the Windows 10 tech preview after the end date? [​IMG]

Oh, here's the Disk Management thing. I think there is a drive (the 450MB one) for a Virtual Machine I set up once, not sure.

husseinHr, Apr 14, 2015
  11. Hi

I don't see any reason you couldn't shrink the C:\ drive and create a new parturition on it.
    The 450 Megabyte drive appears to be your recovery partition, and the System Reserved partition is normal.

The Windows 10 drive should be about 100 Gigabytes if you are going to install Windows 10 on it.

What message do you get when you ask it to shrink the C:\ drive?

If you see a message that it is going to convert the drive to Dynamic say no and back out of the process.

Assuming that doesn't happen.

Once you have it set up install all your software on another drive, (the C:\ drive will become drive D:\ so just type in a D:\ in place of C:\ when you install, i.e. D:\Program Files, or D:\Program Files (x86).

This will keep the C:\ drive under 60 Gigabytes and make it easy to back up.

Here's my Disk Management window.

Can I run the Windows 10 tech preview after the end date? [​IMG]

As soon as you get it up and running make a System Backup so it can be quickly recovered if things go bad.
    I use EaseUS TODO backup and recovery, really simple to use, creates it's own recovery disk, and it's free.

I can recover my Windows 10 install in 17 minutes, and I've done it 7 times since I started running Windows 10.

It's a much easier way to fix things you screw up.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Apr 14, 2015
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Thanks! Can you tell me what message you get when you try to shrink your "C:" partition? This looks normal. The 450MB you won't get back unless you format the entire drive from scratch, not worth it.

Here's an example I did on my HDD:

Right click the C partition, then click "Shrink".
    Should get a screen like the second one.
    Choose an appropriate size, for just testing OS 32GB-64GB should be plenty.
    Leave the newly created partition unallocated, like the first pic, that's where you will choose it during install.

The pics I posted are in reverse order, sorry, I attached them backwards!

If you have trouble with step one, try giving the C drive a label, like "Current OS". You can always change it later.

IMPORTANT NOTE: ------> if you have files right now at the end of your C drive, you will be unable to shrink it. The space must be contiguous at the end.

Let me know how it goes.... *chuckle

f14tomcat, Apr 14, 2015
  13. mikiep Win User

The powers to be said windows insiders will be able to upgrade to the final build from a win10TP upgrade install. Install seems to keep track of what version was upgraded and if was a pirate version or not *Smile

Even pirate versions of win7 and above can have a free upgrade to the final win10 - but probably will not be eligible for anything other than security updates.

If you let your version of Win10TP expire.. Windows become unbootable, un-upgradeable, dead ! You'll need to delete the partitions and install something.

mikiep, Apr 15, 2015
  14. Roger Win User
    AOMEI Partition Assistant will remove those 450MB partitions and perform any other operation you might need to perform and it's the only app I know of that will. Good tool! and a Freebie!
    http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-partition-assistant.html

Roger, Apr 15, 2015
  15. davehc Win User
    Not quite the story.
    When Terry Myerson, head of Microsoft’s Operating Systems group, made the announcement, he made an error of leaving out a specific clause., concerning pirated material. Already mentioned in this thread. You will, undoubtably, be able to upgrade for free, but will then have an unlicensed copy of Windows 10. Without hacking, you will be required to buy a licence in order to have it correctly activated.

davehc, Apr 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Can I run the Windows 10 tech preview after the end date? - Similar Threads - run tech preview

2. VMware WS 2H1 Tech Preview i

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware WS 2H1 Tech Preview i: VMware Workstation 20H1is here It supposedly allows one to run VMware Workstation VMs concurrently with Hyper-V features enabled. I am downloading it ow. We will see. - https://communities.vmware.com/commu...n-pro/overview 150776
  3. How can I determine what Tech Preview build I have?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I determine what Tech Preview build I have?: I am on the Fast update ring, but I have no idea which build I actually have. The Settings and Recovery app says I am up to date, but gives no info on the build. The Control Panel only says I'm running Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-bit. When I boot up my Dell XPS, I see...
  4. Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start8 on Windows Tech Preview: Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can even switch between the new...
  5. Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...: It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing. 2919
  6. Cannot boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 10 Tech Preview: So recently, I've installed Windows 10 on a separate partition on my 500 GB hard disk that's about 40 GB, and it works perfectly. Except that I can't boot back into Windows 7. All of my files are still accessible and working, I just can't actually boot into the OS. When...
  7. Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Tech Preview on Primary PC: I am installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my primary PC. Am I making a mistake by doing this? 5531
  8. Installing 10 tech preview

Installing 10 tech preview: How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10? 3722
  9. Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips

Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips: I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Laptop, and 8.1 x64 on our desktop. Any tips on what I should do? I don't have a USB drive or a backup CD. Should I not install it? 2389
  10. Update for Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Windows Tech Preview: October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview [kb3001512] Issues that are fixed in this updateIn Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates. Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video...