Windows 10: Can I run Windows 10 ADK in VirtualBox and other questions?

Discus and support Can I run Windows 10 ADK in VirtualBox and other questions? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I have few questions. Can I run Windows 10 ADK in VirtualBox and can I run it in a cloned Windows 10 VM and use the answer file from the clone in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Shamoy, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Shamoy Win User

Can I run Windows 10 ADK in VirtualBox and other questions?

Hi, I have few questions. Can I run Windows 10 ADK in VirtualBox and can I run it in a cloned Windows 10 VM and use the answer file from the clone in the original VM?

:)

Shamoy, Jul 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 ADK

Is there a Windows 10 ADK available now that Windows 10 has released? I have the ADK Tech Preview, looking for the final ADK.

EDIT: It appears that the preview ADK will not open the WIM files from the downloaded ISO's

ChrisMartens, Jul 17, 2017
  3. DXRID Win User
    Check your PC - indicates Windows 10 can't be installed because of VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8

Those links do not address the reported issue - they apply only to actual hardware, not to VirtualBox. The problem is that the Windows 10 compatibility appraiser does not recognize the VirtualBox display adapter as being compatible with Windows 10. In
    fact, it is compatible - numerous people are running Windows 10 Technical Preview in VirtualBox using that configuration. Microsoft needs to update the appraiser application to recognize that the VirtualBox display adapter actually is compatible with Windows
    10. For reference, VirtualBox reports its display adapter to Windows as follows:

Manufacturer: InnoTek Systemberatung

Model: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8

Device ID: 80EE-BEEF

Subvendor: 0000

Driver Version: 4.3.28.0

Until Microsoft updates the Compatibility Appraiser to recognize this device as being compatible with Windows 10, there is nothing a user can do to reserve Windows 10 for a Windows system running in VirtualBox. Users will be able to install Windows 10 after
    it is released, but they won't be able to reserve it in advance unless Microsoft adds the above adapter to its list of Windows 10 compatible devices.

DXRID, Jul 17, 2017
  4. Can I run Windows 10 ADK in VirtualBox and other questions?

Yes, Yes and yes or it depends on your answer file, and if it makes any sense.

But I have a question for you. Why are you playing with VirtualBox, when your Windows version and CPU supports Hyper-V and virtualization? In order for you to get VirtualBox running properly and efficiently, you need to completely disable built in Hypervisor support in Windows, which is enabled by default. I'd rather uninstall VB and replace it with Hyper-V.

For Windows and Linux VMs Hyper-V is very good and you can use many Windows built in and downloadable tools for managing those VMs, while for VB VMs you can mostly only use VB.

slicendice, Jul 17, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    It isn't enabled by default. You need to enable Hyper-V in Windows features. Virtualbox works fine on a clean install of Windows with no changes required. It is true if you enable Hyper-V you can't then run 64bit guests in VirtualBox.

It is less good if you want sound on Linux, want to also run your VMs on a non Windows host or run OSX guest.

I do use Hyper-V (and VirtualBox and VMWare for OSX guests) but it isn't always the best solution *Smile

6. Hypervisor is enabled by default in Windows, Hyper-V is not. There is a big difference.

If you want all features enabled in VirtualBox and VMWare, you MUST disable the hypervisor in Windows. This does not mean you have to uninstall Hyper-V, it just mean you need to boot Windows into a different configuration.

I too run Hyper-V, VMWare, VirtualBox, KVM and many more...

slicendice, Jul 17, 2017
  7. enable hyper v as its Microsoft one

cyberworld, Aug 30, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

No - bad advice.

If you enable Hyper-V you can't run VirtualBox (or VMWare) 64 bit guests.

9. Here's how this works:

You can decide to install the Hyper-V services or not. All other Hypervisor brands will work or not work no matter if Hyper-V is there or not.

The thing you must do is to create a new boot profile where hypervisorlauchtype is set to OFF. This way all other Hypervisors will work. BUT if you want to run Hyper-V you must have a profile where hypervisorlauchtype is set to AUTO.

I have done this configuration ever since Hyper-V was introduced in Windows. Doing all the above I have been running Hyper-V, VirtualBox, VMWare and many other hypervisors on Windows successfully and without any limitations.

slicendice, Aug 30, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
  11. YEP! That is the simplified version of it. Works great!

Because I was using both VirtualBox with GenyMotion and VMWare a lot at some point when Android emulation was horrible in Visual Studio I put the default boot profile to Windows hypervisor disabled. But copied the default profile so I could also occasionally use Hyper-V.

Now when VS has full support for Android emulation and Intel HAXM drivers, I have no need for VirtualBox and GenyMotion. I don't do these steps anymore. If for some reason I need any of the 3rd-party VMs I will add the appropriate boot entries again. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I run Windows 10 ADK in VirtualBox and other questions? - Similar Threads - run ADK VirtualBox

2. WIndows adk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows adk: I want to download windows 10 assessment and deployment tool kit for version 22h2 but i cant find it in their assessment and deployment page. I can only find windows 11 , windows 10 1903 and windows 2004. Can anyone give me the link?...
  3. WIndows adk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows adk: I want to download windows 10 assessment and deployment tool kit for version 22h2 but i cant find it in their assessment and deployment page. I can only find windows 11 , windows 10 1903 and windows 2004. Can anyone give me the link?...
  4. WIndows adk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Virtualbox questions

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtualbox questions: I'm currently rebuilding my system and would like to explore some options with virtualbox. When I install win10, I would like to have a virtual install of Windows 7 using virtualbox. How large is the Vb-Win7 install? Could I have VB-win7 running on a USB/other HD as opposed...
  6. Windows 10 ADK

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 ADK: The Windows assessment and deployment kit Windows ADK In your opinion would this be worth Downloading and Installing ? Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-adk/03b2d4b4-dda5-47d6-b8ef-3624b3357f4c
  7. Is it possible to Run Windows 10 In Virtualbox, and What's the Catch?

Is it possible to Run Windows 10 In Virtualbox, and What's the Catch?: Okay, I decided to remove Windows from both of my Pcs and replace it with Ubuntu Linux. I've installed Virtualbox and decided to Run Windows 10 as a gues OS on my machines. Here's why I've chosen to run Windows as a guest OS: I prefer to run Windows 10 in a virtual machine...
  8. Can I activate two Windows 10 in the same VirtualBox?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I activate two Windows 10 in the same VirtualBox?: My host OS is Linux. In VirtualBox, there are two OSes: Windows 10 64-bit and Windows 10 32-bit. "64-bit" has been activated, but "32-bit" has not. If I activate "32-bit", will "64-bit" be deactivated? I have only one valid product key. 135001
  9. ADK on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ADK on Windows 10: I'm running Win 10 Home on a 64-bit HP system. Have just seen adksetup.exe in my Downloads folder. Why is it there? What is it for? Do I need it? If so, why? If not, can I just delete or shred it? Thanks in advance....
  10. ADK Deployment & v1709 Question (with a lot of caveats)

ADK Deployment & v1709 Question (with a lot of caveats): Excuse me if this a bit long winded but feel I have to explain what it is I'm encountering and trying to do. Okay I upgraded from W7 to W10 in 8/2015 for a little history. I then obtained an use Macrium Reflect creating a WinPE using at that time the latest ADK Deployment...