Windows 10: can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

Discus and support can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JimTulsa, Apr 24, 2024.

1. JimTulsa Win User

can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI System Partition that is causing the error.The solution is what I am questioning. Is this safe to do this?

:)

JimTulsa, Apr 24, 2024
  2. geoB Win User

Drive letter for EFI system partition?

In Macrium Reflect (free), a Dell Optiplex 3046 running 6.3.1835 on Win 10 64 Pro, returns a
    when performing a backup that includes the EFI system partition. Macrium's suggested solution is to assign a drive letter to that partition. The EFI partition is required for a disk image.

Before I assign a drive letter I'd like to understand what risks there are in the assignment.

3. How do I run CHKDSK on EFI System Partition?

On Windows, I used DISKPART to assign the EFI System partition a letter. Fired up DISKPART, and typed LIST DISK to find the disk, followed by SELECT DISK <N> (where is the drive number). Followed the same steps to find the proper partition (i.e. LIST PARTITION followed by SELECT PARTITION <N>), and then simply typed ASSIGN LETTER = X to have Windows mount the partition to letter X.

Then opened CMD with administrative access. Ran CHKDSK X: /f /r

Then, I tried installing Ubuntu once again, and it installed successfully!

Benedict Florance, Apr 24, 2024
  4. Word Man Win User

can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

Drive letter for EFI system partition?

Well, you need to know which partition/drive the error occurred on to correct the error. I imagine chkdsk without a drive letter specification just runs on the system drive (c: in your case), it runs on a specified volume/partition not across an entire physical disk.

I know that there is a thread at the Macrium support forum discussing the case where a cluster error occurred processing the EFI system partition (ESP) - was that perhaps your reference to "Macrium's suggested solution"?

If nothing wrong with your ESP, chkdsk on that with a drive letter assigned would come up good and you would still be looking for the error.

So, perhaps you need to run "chkdsk d: /r" (substitute the target drive letter for d: ) on each partition to find out which is bad - i.e., if the Macrium error message during the backup dialogue doesn't indicate which partition it is.

Word Man, Apr 24, 2024
Thema:

1. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on... - Similar Threads - safely assign drive

2. Changed drive letter on EFI partition, and now it's gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed drive letter on EFI partition, and now it's gone: So, yesterday I decided to try and Dual-Boot windows with a Linux Distro. I couldn't get the installer USB to work because I was using the installer version instead of a Live version. I formatted the USB in Windows to try and install the new distribution, and restarted my...
  3. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...: I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI...
  4. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition: Hello,My first problem is that i run powershell with admin rights and ran chkdsk f: /f /r . I thought it would restart pc after that but no, just started running chkdsk until now, so i could access the disk. Now, after about 3 hours total progress is 0%, but in phase 2, is...
  5. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition: Hello,My first problem is that i run powershell with admin rights and ran chkdsk f: /f /r . I thought it would restart pc after that but no, just started running chkdsk until now, so i could access the disk. Now, after about 3 hours total progress is 0%, but in phase 2, is...
  6. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Assigned Drive letters for EFI partitions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Assigned Drive letters for EFI partitions.: Basically, I've tried cloning my windows to a bigger drive with AOMEI Partition Assistant following jayz2cents' video but I think I messed it up because my EFI partitions showed up in File Explorer. I've tried a couple of solutions online like command prompt to remove...
  8. Can the EFI partition be briefly and safely mounted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can the EFI partition be briefly and safely mounted?: Can the EFI partition be briefly and safely mounted? Am I correct that mountvol p: /s will mount the EFI partition to drive letter p? Does mounting the EFI partition create a security issue for the pc?...
  9. Stop EFI partition from USB drive having a letter assigned?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop EFI partition from USB drive having a letter assigned?: Hello, when i plugin my USB drive which has some EFI partition on it, Windows 10 automatically assign it a letter which is annoying as you guess (can't access, being asked to format, etc..); how do i stop this from happening? Neither in diskpart, neither with 3rd party apps i...
  10. Drive letter for EFI system partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Drive letter for EFI system partition?: In Macrium Reflect (free), a Dell Optiplex 3046 running 6.3.1835 on Win 10 64 Pro, returns a Cluster run error Cluster run short error 21 when performing a backup that includes the EFI system partition. Macrium's suggested solution is to assign a drive letter to that...