Windows 10: Can I safely delete this 2nd account

Discus and support Can I safely delete this 2nd account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am using a Microsoft account. There is a 2nd account displayed under Settings->Accounts. There is -no- Remove button though. I used lusrmgr.msc to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tfwul, Sep 18, 2016.

1. tfwul Win User

Can I safely delete this 2nd account

I am using a Microsoft account. There is a 2nd account displayed under Settings->Accounts.
    There is -no- Remove button though.
    I used lusrmgr.msc to display all details, which please find below.

I wonder whether it is safe to delete 'users' there.

Please find below: 'User''Properties'.
    The 2nd account is disabled, but I'd like to remove it entirely, if possible.

If, however, it is risky, then I leave it that way.
    Will never use that account anyway.

Thanks!
    =

Can I safely delete this 2nd account [​IMG]

:)

tfwul, Sep 18, 2016

2. I have set up my accounts but the 2nd one was entered wrong so I deleted it. Now I can not add a 2nd account.

<Original title: windows 10 mail>

I have set up my accounts but the 2nd one was entered wrong so I deleted it. Now I can not add a 2nd account. I have closed down reopened and clicked add it does not open a window to add the correct 2nd account so now what delete the first and start all
    over to put both back in Mail?

Thanks

David

DIRTYBIRD4048, Sep 18, 2016
  3. nismojoe Win User
    Windows 10 mail, account deletion?

I made my first account but messed it up. I got the 2nd and 3rd one right. Now I cannot delete the first one. The delete option only shows up on the 2nd and 3rd. How do I delete that first account?

nismojoe, Sep 18, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello tfwul, *Smile

I don't see a second user account in your screenshots. I only see your "m___l" account that is a member of the "Administrators" and "Users" group.

Which account is the extra one?

Please go ahead and post back your account details using the tutorial below to see if anything may stand out.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Sep 18, 2016
  5. Vesao Win User
    It seems that there are two Microsoft accounts that are linked to the same local account.
    Press the Windows key + R and type control userpasswords2 in the Run box, post a picture to show what you see.
    Thanks!

Vesao, Sep 18, 2016
  6. tfwul Win User
    Hi Brink,

I have edited the previous post - the account was mentioned everywhere and I really thought I'd covered them all grayed out all 'instances' - regretfully one was left, as far as I can see.
    greyed out that one as well.

The extra one is the one that has been grayed out, i.e. m___l.
    being a member of the admin and users group. previously this was my hotmail account, but after migration this became my 2nd outlook.com account (I created a new outlook-com account quite a while ago)

below results of the wmic command

=
    wmic useraccount list full >"%userprofile%\Desktop\UserAccountDetails.txt"

AccountType=512
    Description=Built-in account for administering the computer/domain
    Disabled=TRUE
    Domain=DESKTOP-XFFLEA6
    FullName=
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=Administrator
    PasswordChangeable=TRUE
    PasswordExpires=FALSE
    PasswordRequired=TRUE
    SID=S-1-5-21-213907074-4100950968-3766577678-nnn
    SIDType=1
    Status=Degraded

AccountType=512
    Description=A user account managed by the system.
    Disabled=TRUE
    Domain=DESKTOP-XFFLEA6
    FullName=
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=DefaultAccount
    PasswordChangeable=TRUE
    PasswordExpires=FALSE
    PasswordRequired=FALSE
    SIDType=1
    Status=Degraded

AccountType=512
    Description=Built-in account for guest access to the computer/domain
    Disabled=TRUE
    Domain=DESKTOP-XFFLEA6
    FullName=
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=Guest
    PasswordChangeable=FALSE
    PasswordExpires=FALSE
    PasswordRequired=FALSE
    SIDType=1
    Status=Degraded

AccountType=512
    Description=
    Disabled=FALSE
    Domain=DESKTOP-XFFLEA6
    FullName=My Full Name <--
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=m___l <-- the one I'd like to remove (came over from hotmail)
    PasswordChangeable=TRUE
    PasswordExpires=FALSE
    PasswordRequired=TRUE
    SID=S-1-5-21-213907074-4100950968-3766577678-nnnn
    SIDType=1
    Status=OK

==

Note: the one that I am using, the one that I am loggin in with, the one that is shown at the top, at Settings->Accounts as admin, that one is not listed above.
    But...
    then again, when I launch Windows Explorer, then Help->About, it still states the 'old' email (m___l at hotmail.
    don't if that carries any weight though.

(for safety sake, I removed the last digits of the SID, don't know if the SID is important or not)
    =

tfwul, Sep 20, 2016
  7. tfwul Win User
    @Vesao

Thanks for your comments.

It looks like this:
    =

=

Frankly, this account stuff, is all a bit, let's say, 'vague' to me, to say the least.
    The one that is listed on the screenshot above, is the one that I am using daily and is listed under settings->accounts, at the top. The other one (m___l ) that is the one I've not been using for, I think, 3 years or so and prefer to get rid of (if possible)

=

tfwul, Sep 20, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 20, 2016
  9. Vesao Win User
    Yesterday I switched my Microsoft account to a local account, then switched back to Microsoft account with another email account. Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Email & app accounts, I can also see two email addresses out there. It seems that Windows keeps track of all your previous email addresses ever used with Microsoft account. So I think you can delete the history email address without issue.

Vesao, Sep 21, 2016
  10. tfwul Win User
    Many thanks Brink.

I checked my account - looks like this

=

=

I might remove the 'm___l' account (didn't try it though, unsure about it...)
    however, that one is used under c:\users\m____l\...etc.
    Note, there is no path with c:\user\my current userid\...

So when I remove the m___l account under 'My Account' what effect will that then have
    on the stuff stored on my C-drive? Maybe it simply impossible?

Also note below : win-r control userpasswords2
    =

=

tfwul, Sep 22, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    tfwul,

You can safely remove the alias online at Microsoft, but don't delete the account on your PC.

Since your account on the PC was originally created using the old alias email address, that would be why it still shows on the PC. You will still be able to sign in to your Microsoft account on the PC using the newer "primary" alias.

Brink, Sep 22, 2016
  12. tfwul Win User
    Thanks Brink,
    Very sorry for the late reply.

So, considering all previous posts, screenshots and details as per

1) wmic useraccount list full >"%userprofile%\Desktop\UserAccountDetails.txt"
    2) Windows key + R and type control userpasswords2

You think it is safe to remove the old account from 'My Microsoft Account'.
    Will there be no conflicts with username under c:\users ?

Also I wonder whether there may be issues with regards to licenses, the versions that I use (VM) are upgraded versions from old Windows 7/8/8.1 (all retail versions)
    Maybe they are tied to the old 'user'(?) and thus it is not possible to change those to the new username(?)
    Then again, the version that I am running on my host now, using the 'new' account is a new retail version, i.e. one that came on an usb thumbdrive. but nonetheless registered to and old userid... (see screenshot below)

What do you think?

=

=

tfwul, Sep 27, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

As long as you're not using the old account to sign in to anything with anymore, it should be fine to remove it as an alias. You'll still be able to add it as an alias again if you should find something stops working with it removed. *Smile

Brink, Sep 27, 2016
  14. tfwul Win User
    Spent the last 5-6 hours on this, but gave up.
    I have 2 accounts:
    - the built admin account
    - a 2nd admin account and also user?

when I disable that one, the desktop entirely changes (default)
    half of the number of desktop icons are is gone, in regedit (WinLogon) the old ID is mentioned.

All in all, both accounts seem to be so tied up together, that it is impossible to just keep 1 (the one that I am using to logon) without loosing 'my own' desktop and half of the icons.

Probably this is also the reason that whatever I try, the 1607 update doesn't install. Windows also tried a number of times, went thru the entire setup and in the end tells me that the update was unsuccessful.
    (2 accounts, so Windows can't figure out what to do).

What might be worrying me even more: even IF I would freshly install Windows, formatting the drive, etc. it will then resort to the same problem. Have no idea how to avoid that....

Can't be that I am the only one.

=

tfwul, Oct 1, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That happens when you remove the alias from your Microsoft account?

Brink, Oct 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Can I safely delete this 2nd account - Similar Threads - safely delete 2nd

2. Can I safely delete folders in the root?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I safely delete folders in the root?: I recently got a disk space shortage notification. So I checked the disk usage and found there three folders took very large space:~30 GB for AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache5\0\0\~20 GB for C:\Symbols\ and C:\symcache -> there two folders seem related...
  3. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I safely delete boot.wim?: I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-safely-delete-bootwim/d22322d2-384e-48e7-b33c-b46ae3866a0f
  4. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I safely delete boot.wim?: I am trying to clean up my small SSD drive, and see a 4GB file called "boot.wim". Is it safe to just delete this file? Or is it important for windows to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-safely-delete-bootwim/d22322d2-384e-48e7-b33c-b46ae3866a0f
  5. Can I safely delete boot.wim?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can I safely delete any of these programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I safely delete any of these programs: Hi There , Doing a clean up of my disk space I came across a few programs/apps from Microsoft that appear just to be updates.Can I delete past copies 2005 - 2013 from the list , and just keep most recent one ?...
  7. Can I safely delete any of these programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I safely delete any of these programs: Hi There , Doing a clean up of my disk space I came across a few programs/apps from Microsoft that appear just to be updates.Can I delete past copies 2005 - 2013 from the list , and just keep most recent one ?...
  8. Can I safely delete any of these programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. what is this? can I delete it safely?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what is this? can I delete it safely?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mozesty_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k19n5k/what_is_this_can_i_delete_it_safely/
  10. Can I safely delete install.wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I safely delete install.wim?: I'm cleaning out unnecessary files and folders and came across my C drive. Since I have created my own custom recovery partition, can I safely delete this install.wim that is currently setting in my C drive and using 9GB? 115022