Windows 10: Can I schedule scans with Windows Defender?

Discus and support Can I schedule scans with Windows Defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; There does not seem to be a way to schedule an automatic daily scan with Windows Defender. I got a action center notification to run a Defender scan.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DavidG, Aug 12, 2015.

1. DavidG Win User

Can I schedule scans with Windows Defender?

There does not seem to be a way to schedule an automatic daily scan with Windows Defender.
    I got a action center notification to run a Defender scan. Is that something I can expect regularly?
    Having to do a regular manual scan will be a pain.

:)

DavidG, Aug 12, 2015

2. Windows Defender

Can I schedule Windows Defender to scan on a regular basis? I get notifications that tell me I am unprotected unless I scan now. Why can I not schedule those scans so they are automatic?

GuelphNana, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Schedule regular scans with Windows Defender in Windows 10

Hi,

Thanks you for posting your reply and update.

There should be three options at the bottom of the Triggers tab,
    New
    , Edit and Delete. I want you to click on the “New” option. The other two options should probably be greyed out.

Also refer this, Schedule a scan in Windows Defender:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/schedule-a-scan-in-windows-defender

Further it could be helpful if you can provide us the screen shot of the issue to help you further.

How to include a screenshot in your post

How to include a screenshot in your post

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Can I schedule scans with Windows Defender?

Windows Defender has no configuration options for scheduled scanning in its GUI.

In Windows 10, a quick scan is performed during the daily scheduled maintenance (3:00 AM?)
    If your computer is off then the scan runs shortly after starting the next time.

In case no scanning has been performed for a while, Action Center will notify about this, stating "Windows Defender needs to scan your computer".

To schedule a daily scan in Windows 10, type "schedule" in the search bar and click Task Scheduler.
    Right-click Task Scheduler (Local) on the left side and click on Create Basic Task.
    The Create Basic Task window opens.
    Type a nice memorable name for the scan and click Next.
    Then select Trigger, then Daily.
    In action selection, the default Start a program is fine.
    Navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Defender and double-click MpCmdRun.exe.
    (This is the program that allows performing common tasks in Windows Defender.)
    Depending on your folder option settings, you might not see the ".exe" and ".dll" extensions.
    Finish.

I think that's about it.

If Microsoft knows a hard way to do something it'll be pounced on and made the ONLY way to do something! *Smile

teachermark, Aug 12, 2015
  5. UKMedia Win User
    Hi

This now controlled by the Task Scheduler.

Here are the MS instructions: Schedule a scan in Windows Defender - Microsoft Windows

Regards

UKMedia, Aug 12, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
  7. Georgia Win User
    How do you navigate to windows defender? I found out but it took me a while; other people might have that problem too.

Georgia, Sep 16, 2015
  8. DavidG Win User

The easiest way I know is to right click on the start button in the lower left corner of your desktop. Then left click on CONTROL PANEL (in the top right corner of control panel : VIEW BY = Large Icons), then left click on WINDOWS DEFENDER.

Hi Georgia and welcome to Tenforums (I noticed this was your first post). *Thumbs

DavidG, Sep 17, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 17, 2015
  10. Thank you VERY much! WD was driving me crazy with that "Windows Defender needs to scan your computer".Thanks a lot!

marinildac, Sep 18, 2015
  11. DavidG Win User
    Hello marinildac and WELCOME to TENFORUMS.
    If you have not found this page take a look at the Tutorials page. Lots of subjects and great content.

Windows 10 Tutorials

DavidG, Sep 18, 2015
  12. It worked! teachermark is just great!
    loooove this windows foruns thing!
    hugs!

marinildac, Sep 18, 2015
  13. DavidG Win User

YES TENFORUMS is much better than Microsoft Community Forums.
    Hugs back at you (Brazilians are so emotional, in a good way).

DavidG, Sep 18, 2015
  14. I scheduled it to run every Wednesday at 8 AM, but its still runs at 3 AM everyday also. How do I disable the everyday scan?

possom2009, Sep 19, 2015
  15. Georgia Win User
    Thanks, Win Def isn't scanning at all, I keep looking after several days and no scans; I have to do it manually even though I followed TeacherMark's instructions.

Georgia, Sep 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Can I schedule scans with Windows Defender? - Similar Threads - schedule scans Defender

2. Can I schedule a virus scan on Defender?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I schedule a virus scan on Defender?: Can I schedule a virus scan through Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-schedule-a-virus-scan-on-defender/4565ea64-c4be-4ef0-905e-7ee0219ae6d8
  3. Can I schedule a virus scan on Defender?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I schedule a virus scan on Defender?: Can I schedule a virus scan through Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-schedule-a-virus-scan-on-defender/4565ea64-c4be-4ef0-905e-7ee0219ae6d8
  4. Can I schedule a virus scan on Defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows Defender Scan Schedule

Windows Defender Scan Schedule: TWO QUESTIONS here... 1 Why is there absolutely no information in the "Task Scheduler" pertaining to exactly WHEN and HOW OFTEN the default/automated Windows Defender scans are run? 2 Yes, there are "Triggers" available to customize scan schedule. But does this cause the...
  6. Schedule Defender Scans

Schedule Defender Scans: No issue running at demand quick scans via Settings >Windows security>virus and threats >select quick scan . OK. Went to Task scheduler > windows defender to sequence a daily scheduled scan as per Brinks Tutorial and found this . [img] Proceeded to insert new scheduled...
  7. Scheduling Windows Defender scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduling Windows Defender scans: I'm not understanding how/if Windows Defender anti-virus, etc. scans operate. Does the User need to manually start a scan, from the various Scan types available in settings ? It's unclear. Can't find anywhere to examine previous Defender scans ....to see what was...
  8. Schedule Windows Defender Scan

Schedule Windows Defender Scan: Can I schedule a virus scan to run at regular times? [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/schedule-windows-defender-scan/eab2c9ea-4138-4a76-80d1-e0afa89c8f10
  9. Windows Defender Scheduled Scan

Windows Defender Scheduled Scan: How do I get Windows Defender Scheduled Scan back in Task Scheduler? I go: Schedule tasks > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender. I had been messing around with the scheduler trying to make it work properly. Unfortunately, in the process I...
  10. Windows Defender Scan Schedule?

Windows Defender Scan Schedule?: Don't know if this is just me or not, but: For the last month or so WD regularly hits me with the Yellow Warning Triangle to SCAN NOW. Sometimes twice a day. Sometimes days between these events. I don't know enough to be able to find the date/time of it's last scan. Not...