Windows 10: Can i shrink start menu ?

Discus and support Can i shrink start menu ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. Is there anyway to shrink the size of the start menu ? i HAVE hovered over the edge and two arrows appear pointing in different directions,but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sea skimmer, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Can i shrink start menu ?

Hello. Is there anyway to shrink the size of the start menu ? i HAVE hovered over the edge and two arrows appear pointing in different directions,but when i drag the start menu area to the LEFT it just pops back to where it was.

The picture below shows with red dashes the area i would like to shrink,leaving just the icons.

Can i shrink start menu ? [​IMG]

:)

sea skimmer, Aug 11, 2016

2. Start Menu Size

Good Morning;

Will it be possible to shrink the start menu smaller than the lower limits right now? At this time I have six small icons across and a large, empty spot at the bottom of the start bar. It would be nice to be able to shrink it until there is only one medium
    or two or three small icons across instead of stopping with such a large side menu.

AnthonyWilkes, Aug 11, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    How to create D: partition?

You can manually create the D Drive:

• Open Disk Management (accessible from the right click of your Start Menu)
    • Select your C Drive, right click it and select 'Shrink'
    • Shrink the drive by the size you wish your D drive to be (1000MB = 1GB)
    • If Windows has problems shrinking the C Drive, defrag the drive and try again
    • You will then be left with unallocated space - right click this unallocated space and create a partition on it

DaveM121, Aug 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Can i shrink start menu ?

The min width of that area (right pane) appears to be about 3 medium tiles.

MS isn't allowing much configuration. If you want more freedom, you will need to try a 3rd party start menu. You may find that a significant improvement.

dalchina, Aug 11, 2016
  5. Thanks for the info *Smile

sea skimmer, Aug 11, 2016
  6. Skeleton11223, Aug 11, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Open your start menu,
    hit the up arrow on your keyboard, it will highlight "Most Used"(do not click it)
    then press and hold ctrl,
    use your arrow keys to resize the start menu.

Cliff S, Aug 12, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

@dalchina pretty much hit the nail on the head,
    turn off "Show more Tiles" will shrink the width by one column of medium tiles.

Can i shrink start menu ? [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 12, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Nice Tip CliffS , thanks...

Kbird, Aug 12, 2016
  10. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can i shrink start menu ? - Similar Threads - shrink start menu

2. How can I open the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I open the start menu: My start menu will not open and neither will my email. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-open-the-start-menu/2156f84c-6452-4863-aa91-15724f7ebf83
  3. How can I open the start menu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I open the start menu: My start menu will not open and neither will my email. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-open-the-start-menu/2156f84c-6452-4863-aa91-15724f7ebf83
  4. How can I open the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Start Menu icons and text shrinks for no reason.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu icons and text shrinks for no reason.: Hi all, since an update earlier today, my Start Menu has decided to resize the icons and shrink down the fonts to almost for me unreadable size. I have tried a fix that I found on here and it did work for about half an hour then it went back to its current state. Another...
  6. Start Menu Font Suddenly Shrinks to Size 6pt from 12pt

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Font Suddenly Shrinks to Size 6pt from 12pt: I've a brand new spec built Win 10 Pro Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.476) machine. I use it for normal word processing and email etc. Nothing special. No weird 3rd party apps. Use LibreOffice version 6.3 for docs word processing. Email client is eM Client Version 7.2.36908.0...
  7. Start Menu Fonts Suddenly Shrink in Size to About 6 or 7

Start Menu Fonts Suddenly Shrink in Size to About 6 or 7: Using Win 10 Pro version 1903 build 18362.356. Doing various tasks with 3~5 apps/programs and 2~3 browsers open. The fonts in the Start Menu will suddenly shrink to about size 6 or 7. Can barely read the app names. The Start Menu fonts are the only fonts that are buggy. I...
  8. How to shrink start menu ..>

How to shrink start menu ..>: Hi All Is there a way to make start menu smaller , since I don't have many tiles active It just look bland ... Thanks . [img] 16751
  9. Can not customize the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not customize the start menu: I'm having trouble with the start menu. I can't pin or resize or drag and drop icons even though I've tried a lot of ways. I've use sfc/scannow and it said it can see there're some problems but it can't fix those. I use Store apps frequently so this nearly drives me mad. Do...
  10. Start Menu - Can this be fixed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Can this be fixed?: Does anyone know how to fix the items below. The ones circled in red. And what is the one circled in green? 10061 start menu is really getting me frustrated. I've tried all the known fixes... WSREST, Reregister apps, try to install them again, etc. Done all the DISM and...