Windows 10: Can I shut down my PC while BitLocker is encrypting?

Discus and support Can I shut down my PC while BitLocker is encrypting? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What would happen if my computer shuts down while BitLocker is encrypting my data partition drive? It takes ages! I am running Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by javiergme, Jan 5, 2016.

1. javiergme Win User

Can I shut down my PC while BitLocker is encrypting?

What would happen if my computer shuts down while BitLocker is encrypting my data partition drive?
    It takes ages!
    I am running Windows 10 Pro

Thank you very much in advance

:)

javiergme, Jan 5, 2016

2. Can I shut down my pc while the update centre in windows 10 downloads the updates?

No my update was not killed when I turned off my PC when the updates where being downloaded. The Anniversary update is good but it has a lot of bugs in it. Thanks to the contact support they helped me a lot.

ManishDutta, Jan 5, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Can I shut down my pc while the update centre in windows 10 downloads the updates?

No. You might kill the update and you system.

lacrumb, Jan 5, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Most any activity that is reading and writing data to the HDD can cause problems if not shut down before shutting the computer down. Most folks with similar activity to what you are doing will start it at a time they'll be away from the computer and just let it run. Shutting the computer down stops HDD activity and by extension any program using it. Suddenly stopping the computer in the middle of a process can cause data corruption and therefore loss.

Berton, Jan 5, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    What @Berton said is not correct.

If you want to shut down your PC go ahead. The encryption process will continue next boot.

source

lx07, Jan 5, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Guess he just didn't express himself very well. *Wink

Short of a power outage , the computer will resume the encryption process. If it weren't the entire disk would be toast after a controlled shutdown.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 5, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    Did you read the quote from MS above? "..even if the power is suddenly unavailable.."

lx07, Jan 5, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

No, I did not truth be told. Good to see it's pretty foolproof then.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 5, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    Has been for me. I've shut down during encryption and it has been OK.

Can't say I've pulled the plug as I've always had laptops and you can't do that easily....

lx07, Jan 5, 2016
  10. javiergme Win User
    Thank you very much for your answers.
    I decided to wait until Bitlocker finished.

javiergme, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I shut down my PC while BitLocker is encrypting? - Similar Threads - shut down while

2. PC Shutting down while playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Shutting down while playing games: My PC will randomly start shutting down when I'm playing most games Rocket League, Rust, Payday3, Cult of the Lamb. I tried troubleshooting with EventViewer to see any problems but the only reports I get are DistributedCOM events which seemingly don't mean anything. I'm...
  3. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f - while shutting down the pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f - while shutting down the pc: Hello,As of today I am no longer able to shut down or restart my PC normally. The shutdown or restart fails and ends in a blue screen with the error message: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9f. The corresponding...
  4. My pc shuts down while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc shuts down while gaming: When i play any game even if it was a small game it will crash. I format my pc and also didn’t work and i tried my graphics card in my friend pc and it work.Can anyone help me...
  5. My pc shuts down while gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc shuts down while gaming: When i play any game even if it was a small game it will crash. I format my pc and also didn’t work and i tried my graphics card in my friend pc and it work.Can anyone help me...
  6. PC Shutting down while gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Shutting down while gaming: Hello,2 months ago, I built a PC. I usually use it for gaming[CSGO, MC] and some web stuff. But I'm experiencing a crash problem. My PC just shut down while I play games. In View Reliability History I found 2 things: 1. Windows was not properly shut downThe previous system...
  7. error while shutting down pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    error while shutting down pc: i am getting some program manager still running error whenever i shutdown windows it says force stop and shut down what to do sfc scan has no errors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-while-shutting-down-pc/d817418a-9b25-4a74-94c0-53e3f5409e91
  8. Can I shut down my Pc automatically?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I shut down my Pc automatically?: So, I want to download a game and I haven't finished it yet, how can I choose to have my PC shut down automatically after the download? If yes how I use Windows 10 pro so 64bit Would steam also save when I shut down my pc even though the download is not yet complete?...
  9. I shut down my pc while dowloading Help!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I shut down my pc while dowloading Help!: So. I shut down my pc while it was dowloading an updating now when i start it up it shows me this error that i cant open some apps(one drive, Origin etc) And i deleted Origin and tried to dowload it again but it didint let me. Help!...
  10. How can I make my pc "shut down" ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How can I make my pc "shut down" ?: My HP laptop is using Win 10...… Most of the time it will not " shut down "...… this is very annoying and not good for the pc to be turned off by holding down the power button. I tried holding down the "shift" key when I pushed shut down...…. it even worked for awhile,...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker shutdown while encrypting

2. mputers shutting down nightly after bitlocker encryption

3. can i restart while decrypting

4. can windows encrypt while computer is off,
  5. can i shut down a computer while it is encrypting,
  6. clicked close while bitlocker was encrypting,
  7. can i shut down computer while mbam is running,
  8. shutdown computer while bitlocker encrypting?,
  9. Device encryption cant be turned off while this drive is being encrypted,
  10. can i turn off my computer while bitlocker is encrypting,