Windows 10: Can I stop Win10 hijacking my dual boot options?

Discus and support Can I stop Win10 hijacking my dual boot options? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy... I thought I'd stopped Win10 interfering with my dual boot options (selecting Win10 or Win7) but last night showed that disabling Fast Startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SonicHawk, Sep 21, 2016.

1. SonicHawk Win User

Can I stop Win10 hijacking my dual boot options?

Howdy... I thought I'd stopped Win10 interfering with my dual boot options (selecting Win10 or Win7) but last night showed that disabling Fast Startup isn't enough.

Wishing to switch over, I used the “install updates and shut down” option, so I could defer the lengthy Win10 start-up til next day. Then I switched on my PC a minute later, to fire up Win7 - and the dual boot option had been hijacked by Win10 so I was forced to let that Win10 update happen that night, after all.

I was denied use of the computer for FIFTY MINUTES.

And as for what I think of the Win10 changes - desktop gadgets gone, screen res wrong, daft messages about how I need to "fix" my Microsoft Account - I'll try and deal with that mess later.

:)

SonicHawk, Sep 21, 2016
  2. linmaxyc Win User

ual boot system upgrade to windows 10

Hi Guys, my desktop is a XP and Win7 dual boot system. In Win7 environment, I had downloaded Win10 packages and was informed ready for upgrade. One thing stops me from starting the upgrade procedure, I'd like to keep XP and I am hoping it will become
    a XP and Win10 dual boot system but I am not sure. Hope someone can help thanks in advance!

linmaxyc, Sep 21, 2016
  3. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Back in the day I updated to Win10 by adding another SSD into my machine and created a dual boot when I "upgraded" from Win7. The other day my Win10 installation when belly up and I had to do a reinstall which has wiped out my dual boot. How do I tell Win10
    that my D:\ is my Win7 installation and crate a dual boot?

BryanDeVries, Sep 21, 2016
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Not sure what you really mean by "hijacking". The install set your default OS to Win 10. That is normal. You told it to install and shutdown. The last thing it remembered was Win 10 is the default OS. When you turned it on, that's where it went. I have to assume you got a boot menu and just let it time out to boot to 10.

You could have clicked on Win 7 and it would have booted there. Simply wiggling the mouse on that boot menu screen will stop the timer, to give you a chance to think. The change option on the bottom also will let you change the timeout value and/or the default OS.

MSCONFIG from an Admin command prompt also let's you set the default OS and timeout value before you shutdown or restart.

Is any of this applicable to what you saw happening?

TC

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    If the computer sat for 50 minutes while trying to load either Windows 10 or Windows 7, there is something screwed up in either of those OS. If you do not want Windows 10 on the drive, then just remove it.

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  6. SonicBlue Win User
    I think the boot for a broken/missing OS on a pc that has a win 10 installation on it will be hijacked to repair boot. It happened to me once when I selected a os I peviously deleted, it wiped my other os to fix itself. I've seeen some crzy stuff but that beat all.

SonicBlue, Sep 21, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Didn't sound like it was stuck loading the OS. He was in an update, processing for 50 minutes.

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2016
  8. SonicHawk Win User

Yes.

I was denied a view of the boot menu - and, by the way, it's set to give me 30 secs to make my mind up. On PC start-up (a cold start, remember) I saw the normal POST / BIOS stuff but then, instead of the boot options, the PC showed the Win10 four-pane window logo, then went into a red screen Win10 updating mode.

That's the process I'd decided to defer until next morning.. but got lumbered with it anyway.

SonicHawk, Sep 21, 2016
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Not much you could have done to prevent it. The install process had already set the boot path to the update, and locked it, per se. You could have gotten tricky with MSCONFIG while it was prepping the install, but probably would have broken something. Not worth it. Anyhow, that's why you were denied a view of the boot menu.

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    That should not happen, since there is something else with the OS. Windows has to load before the updates start happening, which is really ridiculous in that Microsoft still insists on rebooting for every little update Windows installs. Unless it is an update to the actual OS or System, there should not be a need for it to lock up and keep the user from doing anything.

The only thing that I can think of is with how Windows 10 is doing the same thing that 7 would do with a previous OS installed. That is when you have to decide which OS is more important and is used 99% of the time.

Windows 10 can be ran off of a USB stick now. As a portable OS, it is just as good as installed on a hard drive. It does not touch the OS installed on the hard drive, plus you can take it with you anywhere with your files on the stick.

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    Red Screen is not an update. That is a major error that involves Hardware. Happens especially on Overclocked systems and those with some really serious driver issues.

If you are getting RSOD's, then you need to change your overclock settings if you are overclocking the CPU or APU/GPU.

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    If the OP has his background slideshow set, and also chose to use an accent color from that background, it could easily be red, or blue, or green.....I've seen it many times. It's just the last accent color active at the time it started the update. Not saying this is the case. Let's let the OP, @SonicHawk, answer that one.

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2016
  13. Winuser Win User

The OP wanted to restart the computer without updating and use Windows 7 instead. Windows 10 update didn't give them a choice and did the update first. They had to wait until the update was done before they could use the computer. Outside of a hard shutdown(not recommended) I don't think you can stop the computer from updating first.

Winuser, Sep 21, 2016
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    You can't. The install process locked the bcddata to start the update. Brute force would have made it worse. Could roll back.

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2016
  15. AndreTen Win User
    Once installation of updates that require restart starts, there isn't much to do. You can lock screen, switch users or start Virtual machine... Advance users will plan this situations and use restarting with given credentials to finish install in non-active hours...

AndreTen, Sep 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Can I stop Win10 hijacking my dual boot options? - Similar Threads - stop Win10 hijacking

2. Can I dual-boot Win10/Win10 on the same machine with the same Windows License?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I dual-boot Win10/Win10 on the same machine with the same Windows License?: A few years ago I built a Ryzen 7 1700/Asus Rog mATX system. I decided to upgrade to a B550/Ryzen 5600X just swapping out the Motherboard/CPU and adding a new GEN4 m.2SSD. I want to dual-boot Win10/Win10, with my current system m.2 SSD, with all my software and clean Windows...
  3. Can I dual-boot Win10/Win10 on the same machine with the same Windows License?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I dual-boot Win10/Win10 on the same machine with the same Windows License?: A few years ago I built a Ryzen 7 1700/Asus Rog mATX system. I decided to upgrade to a B550/Ryzen 5600X just swapping out the Motherboard/CPU and adding a new GEN4 m.2SSD. I want to dual-boot Win10/Win10, with my current system m.2 SSD, with all my software and clean Windows...
  4. Can I dual-boot Win10/Win10 on the same machine with the same Windows License?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dual boot option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot option: Hello sir, i have a dual boot os on my windows 10 and i already delete the other one using msconfig option, Now i want to bring back the dual boot option again.. Is it possible?...
  6. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option): On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure...
  7. Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 dual boot: Hey there I want some help with my dual boot.i have windows 10 and windows xp installed in my laptop and I want to see the boot choice menu before windows 10 load.Now windows 10 is loading first and give me the choice of Os,for that reason if I choose windows xp my laptop...
  8. how can I dual boot win10 and win7

how can I dual boot win10 and win7: I upgraded to win 10 on my pc bt I discovered my gaming is too slow, so I want to install win 7 through a system image I created on my second pc( the same type and specs but different username and o.s since I upgraded my main pc from win7 to win10) onto the new...
  9. how can I dual boot win10 with win7

how can I dual boot win10 with win7: simply, will have legal activated copies of each on the same PC in different drives. Right now, I have win 10, but I will have win7 on another drive. 97664
  10. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....