Windows 10: Can I stop Windows from updating when I need to work on the PC?

Discus and support Can I stop Windows from updating when I need to work on the PC? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, much simpler- try Windows Update Minitool (free) - set updates to Notify (A very handy option), Disabled, Scheduled etc... If updates are set to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jfniss, Feb 19, 2018.

1. dalchina New Member

Can I stop Windows from updating when I need to work on the PC?

Hi, much simpler- try Windows Update Minitool (free) - set updates to Notify (A very handy option), Disabled, Scheduled etc...

If updates are set to Notify (available via Group Policy in Pro) then you can see what is being offered and choose to accept it then or later.

You need to identify what's happening. It might even be it's trying to upgrade and failing each time. What build is it? It shouldn't be receiving updates that frequently anyway, which is why I suggest the upgrade failing scenario- which is repeated.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2018
  2. jfniss Win User

In response to your question, I just looked at the Windows system info (screen shot attached), and was very surprised with what I found. It seems like its an old version even though it was just updated today. What do I do now? Something seems very screwed up on my secondary computer.

jfniss, Feb 23, 2018
  3. dalchina New Member
    Yep, very old build as you say- so I guess upgrades are failing- unless they are not even offered. (I think that can theoretically happen if MS deemed your PC was incompatible).

What does your Upgrade History look like?

Note: there are plenty of threads here and elsewhere about PCs failing to upgrade, and plenty of info on that and what to do- although in some cases that can take quite a while to resolve.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2018
  4. jfniss Win User

Thanks for all your help. I've now confirmed my original diagnosis: my secondary computer, which I boot up only for a couple of hours twice a week, has FAR too little run time to update itself, so when I go to use it there's a huge backlog of updates that eat up all the processor resourses and still don't have enough time to download and install the backlog. I've now solved the immediate problem by spending 24 hours nursing through the backlog of updates. But my original question is not solved, because it'll start happening again unless I change my routine. I'm thinking about using your STOP script in reverse: stopping updates immediately when I boot up, then restarting updates and checking for them before I shut down. What will happen if and update download or install is in progress when I run the STOP part of your script? It'd be nice if it paused the update process and the resumed where it left off when I restart it. What about the PAUSE button on the Advanced page of Updates? By the way, I was going to paste your Stop command into the command prompt but saw that the command prompted has been reploaced with something called PowerShell, which won't take a paste. Things get worser and worser.

jfniss, Feb 24, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, first here's a script that is intended to REALLY stop windows updates- uses WMT and another utility too.
    Here's a handy tool from your friends at MajorGeeks.com Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Now I don't think stopping updates is the right approach in general. But it's there, as MS is making this harder.

Second, Command prompt is still there. See the Tutorial section on accessing it or making more accessible now MS has hidden it a bit more. E.g. You can put it back in the Win X menu. Or start it by
    Windows key R, cmd

Third, there shouldn't, in normal operation, be a huge number of updates at any one time. The principle is the latest major update is cumulative, thus older ones are no longer relevant.

However, you may get driver updates, flash updates, defender updates..... (and updates to 3rd party programs and apps- which update frequently but transparently).

But if you have either an upgrade, or the first update after an upgrade, these are both normally large, the first inevitably so.

Fourth, if you have Pro, you might consider using scheduled updates in conjunction with scheduled maintenance. That's described in the relevant group policy screed (see Group Policy Editor) - I've never tried it, but it would mean your PC starts up automatically and then does that. Personally I'd want to be around- so maybe you could schedule that for a time after you stop using your PC but you're still there. Just a thought you could investigate.

Your problem isn't stopping updates, it's allocating time for them. I'd have thought Notify is fine- then start the update as you finish working with the PC.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I stop Windows from updating when I need to work on the PC? - Similar Threads - stop updating need

2. How can i stop windows updates until I return from vacation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i stop windows updates until I return from vacation?: Don't get me wrong, I a big fan of updates, but I have one stupid ACER laptop running Windows 10 that for some reason is not capable of restarting, should an update force it to. It shutd down alright, but just doesn't come back up by itself. I must manually power it off by...
  3. How can i stop windows updates until I return from vacation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i stop windows updates until I return from vacation?: Don't get me wrong, I a big fan of updates, but I have one stupid ACER laptop running Windows 10 that for some reason is not capable of restarting, should an update force it to. It shutd down alright, but just doesn't come back up by itself. I must manually power it off by...
  4. How can i stop windows updates until I return from vacation?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I need to work on this PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I need to work on this PC: I need some help here my PC says it is not activated, error 0x803f7001 and when I run troubleshooter it is not working at all. I have Windows 10 Pro and I dont and I should have a legit windows license. Why I cant activate my Windows? First of all why it is being de...
  6. I need to work on this PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to work on this PC: I need some help here my PC says it is not activated, error 0x803f7001 and when I run troubleshooter it is not working at all. I have Windows 10 Pro and I dont and I should have a legit windows license. Why I cant activate my Windows? First of all why it is being de...
  7. I need to work on this PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How can i stop windows from....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can i stop windows from....: controlling everything ! Ok, not everything, but i have so little control over this OS it makes me wonder if this PC is even mine. I cannot stop windows from updating, and then when it does so w/o my permission it starts installing things i don't want. You buy a car and it...
  9. How can i stop windows from....

in Windows 10 Support
    How can i stop windows from....: controlling everything ! Ok, not everything, but i have so little control over this OS it makes me wonder if this PC is even mine. I cannot stop windows from updating, and then when it does so w/o my permission it starts installing things i don't want. You buy a car and it...
  10. How Can I Stop Microsoft Edge from Updating

in Browsers and Email
    How Can I Stop Microsoft Edge from Updating: I updated my computer to windows 10 20H2, see the new chromium edge browser, and it looks alright, but im sticking with firefox until I absolutely need to use edge for whatever reason. Thing is: its update behavior of course resembles google chrome, and I never managed to get...