Windows 10: Can I tailor a recovery drive so that it doesn't need 2 target drives?

Discus and support Can I tailor a recovery drive so that it doesn't need 2 target drives? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi For some reason, which I cannot determine, my W10 system seems to require two drives to boot up properly, As far as I can see the 2nd disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ejohnh, Dec 11, 2016.

1. ejohnh Win User

Can I tailor a recovery drive so that it doesn't need 2 target drives?

Hi
    For some reason, which I cannot determine, my W10 system seems to require two drives to boot up properly,

As far as I can see the 2nd disk contains nothing that I need , but it was used to do a mirror copy of the system disk some time ago.I used to free upgrade to go from W7 to W10 and I'm sure that my W7 didn't require the two drives to boot.
    Is there any way that I can obtain a legal W10 setup DVD/USB by giving my recovery key etc?
    Thanks

John

:)

ejohnh, Dec 11, 2016

2. Can't open Windows 10 Store and universal apps

Hi Victor, that's the first actually useful response I've seen so far -- I figured it was buried down there somewhere. Do you recall what the virus was, so I can maybe get a tailored solution? I've done what seemed to be clean installs and the problem doesn't
    go away, so I think I need to target the actual files if at all possible (or just ignore it, as I have for the last couple of years). Do you remember what it was?

-Josh Hayes

Joshua Hayes, Dec 11, 2016
  3. How can I erase a USB drive, so I can format it for ready boost ?

You can right-click the drive in "This PC" and choose Format. But that won't make it ready-boost compatible. That's based on the USB drive itself, it's either built for ReadyBoost or not, formatting it won't change it Can I tailor a recovery drive so that it doesn't need 2 target drives? :)

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 11, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Elsewhere, it was posted if one removes the 2nd HD and runs the Windows repair/startup repair -- that should separate the two HD's boot material. Then, one might have to delete the boot material from that 2nd HD.

RolandJS, Dec 11, 2016
  6. ejohnh Win User
    Can I tailor a recovery drive so that it doesn't need 2 target drives? [​IMG]

I hope you can read the screenshot.. Also I should have said that it's the G drive which is the 'second' drive required when recovering..

ejohnh, Dec 12, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    According to your screenshot, the computer is both booting from and loading Windows from drive 0. It is booting from L: drive (and you can remove that drive letter) and loading the OS from C: drive. Drives 1 and 2 have active partitions, but the computer is not booting from them. You can disable the active flags. You also have 113+ GB of unused space on drive 2.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I tailor a recovery drive so that it doesn't need 2 target drives? - Similar Threads - tailor recovery drive

2. Can a single thumb drive hold 2 recovery drive files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a single thumb drive hold 2 recovery drive files?: Hi,I had made a recovery drive when I first set up my laptop and got everything I wanted running on a thumb drive with 64gb memory space. If I were to create a new recovery drive using the same thumb drive, would my old recovery files be deleted or would it be able to hold...
  3. Can a single thumb drive hold 2 recovery drive files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a single thumb drive hold 2 recovery drive files?: Hi,I had made a recovery drive when I first set up my laptop and got everything I wanted running on a thumb drive with 64gb memory space. If I were to create a new recovery drive using the same thumb drive, would my old recovery files be deleted or would it be able to hold...
  4. Can I save files to a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I save files to a recovery drive: W10I want to wipe all personal data and donate a laptop. The laptop has a D; drive containing the recovery? files. Can I save a wipe app to D: and wipe the C: drive before reinstalling?...
  5. Can I create recovery drive on a hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I create recovery drive on a hard drive: My primary drive on my desktop is an SSD, and I have an internal hard drive to backup my personal data. I also have an external hard drive. Two questions:First, can I create a recovery drive on either hard drive and not on a USB drive?Second, can I update the recovery drive...
  6. Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows installed recovery partition on second drive, now need 2 drives to boot: I was tossing out an old laptop so decided to put it's 1TB HDD in my desktop. I formatted the drive, but apparently that doesn't remove windows recovry partitions. Now I want to remove it to put in an SSD, but windows won't boot without it. I have tried reformatting it, using...
  7. Unable to create Windows 10 recovery drive on 2 computers so is there an alternative?

Unable to create Windows 10 recovery drive on 2 computers so is there an alternative?: To All, I am unable to create a Windows 10 recovery drive on 2 different computers. Both of these computers came with the original release of Windows 10 and have gone through several Windows 10 upgrades. For background, I wanted to create the recovery drives as a...
  8. Create Recovery Drive doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Create Recovery Drive doesn't work: Running upgraded Win 10 Pro X64. Tried to create a recovery drive but it doesn't work. [img] Ran DISM and SFC yesterday and both ran clean. I'll try them again now and see what happens. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  9. Recovery thumb drive doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery thumb drive doesn't work: I made a recovery thumb drive according to the directions, and it told me that it was finished. I opened it and it has all the recovery and boot files. But when I tested it, nothing happened. I tried removing it and restated, turned off my rig, and replaced the thumb drive....
  10. How can I configure Drive D:\ as a Recovery drive?

How can I configure Drive D:\ as a Recovery drive?: Here's my system setup: M.2 - main hard drive (C:\) 10TB HDD - as D:\ drive. I want to configure my HDD as a backup drive, thus I want My OS/settings retained on the backup. How can I do this? 77574