Windows 10: Can I take my Windows 10 license with me to a new laptop?

Discus and support Can I take my Windows 10 license with me to a new laptop? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have Windows 10 installed on a laptop were the hard disk appears to be faulty. I plan on either change the hard disk or get a new computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Hoggorm, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Hoggorm Win User

Can I take my Windows 10 license with me to a new laptop?

Hi,

I have Windows 10 installed on a laptop were the hard disk appears to be faulty. I plan on either change the hard disk or get a new computer entirely.

Can I deactivate Windows 10 on my current laptop and take it with me to the new one, or do I need to buy a new license?

Thank you

:)

Hoggorm, Sep 3, 2017

2. Can I transfer my windows 10 license to a new microsoft account?

this was not the answer. what I want to know is how to change from one MS Account to another MS account?

ThomasLambert, Sep 3, 2017
  3. Can I transfer my windows 10 license to a new microsoft account?

The MS account has nothing to do with Activation of Windows 10. It only associates each device you use with the account so you can monitor this.

There are strong advantages to using a MS Account for Windows 10, not least of which is the ability to backup 15 gb of files to the cloud with Onedrive. But if you wanted to try it without one you can change to a Local Account in Settings>Account>Sign in
    with a local account instead.

If you used a Product Key to activate Windows 10 retail, then that key is what needs to be preserved for reinstall reactivation, although the best way to handle reinstall in 20 minutes is by saving a

System Image Backup.

Other information here about
    Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 3, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    If you just change the disk then there's nothing you need to do. The disk is not counted as part of the hardware ID used to match you PC to your digital licence held on Microsoft's activation servers. Just put in a new disk, do a clean install of the same edition (Home or Pro) as you had before. Skip entering a key if asked for one during the install. It should activate automatically as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

Bree, Sep 3, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Sep 3, 2017
  7. Hoggorm Win User
    Thank you very much guys!

Highly appreciated.

Hoggorm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I take my Windows 10 license with me to a new laptop? - Similar Threads - license laptop

2. Can I transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead, non-working laptop to my new one?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I transfer Windows 10 Pro license from a dead, non-working laptop to my new one?: Recently my laptop decided crash and there was no saving it. My old laptop had Windows 10 Home installed. I later updated it to Windows 10 Pro through the Windows Store. Now that my old laptop is dead, I'd like to be able to activate Windows 10 Pro on the new computer without...
  3. How can I completely remove my digital license from my laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I completely remove my digital license from my laptop?: My laptop has W10 Home, I upgraded to Pro under my Microsoft Account. Now I wanna sell my laptop and don't want the next owner to have any linkage with my Account. How can I remove my digital license? submitted by /u/nousername2345 [link] [comments]...
  4. Transfer laptop and account, windows license

Transfer laptop and account, windows license: Hello, I want to sell my laptop. Previously, I have bought this laptop with windows 8.1 preinstalled, and it is linked to my Microsoft account. After that, I upgraded to windows 10 (free). Now I want to transfer the windows 10 license to a new owner while I still control...
  5. How to retain Win 10 Home license after format my Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to retain Win 10 Home license after format my Laptop: Hi I have windows 10 Home edition and I need to format my Laptop due to unusual slower of OS. Guide to how to retain my currunt Win 10 Lincese and let me know how to reinstall Win 10....
  6. I got My Windows 10 Home Single Language Licensed HP Laptop but it is too slow how to...

I got My Windows 10 Home Single Language Licensed HP Laptop but it is too slow how to...: I just bought an HP Laptop comes with licensed Windows 10 Home Single Language and Microsoft Office 365. But it is too slow and taking a lot of time to process. My friend suggest me to convert to Windows 10 pro version to make the system bit faster. I want to know how to do...
  7. How do I prove my Laptop came with Genuine OEM Windows 10 License

How do I prove my Laptop came with Genuine OEM Windows 10 License: Hi Experts We are a small organization, we mostly purchase Laptops which are pre installed with Windows 10 [OEM]. Recently there was an auditor from PWC [for MS SAM Audit] to whom we provided all the Invoices/Receipts/Bills of laptop purchases. While some invoices say...
  8. Transfer Windows 10 license from laptop to desktop

Transfer Windows 10 license from laptop to desktop: I have joined Windows Insider program and got a free Windows 10 Pro license. Everytime I reinstall Windows 10 Pro OS on my laptop it's will be activated automatically. I wonder that license is OEM or retail channel? I just bought a new desktop (not laptop), I would like to...
  9. I have upgraded windows pro from home on my laptop. how can i transfer that license to my...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I have upgraded windows pro from home on my laptop. how can i transfer that license to my...: I have upgraded windows pro from home on my laptop. how can i transfer that license to my desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-upgraded-windows-pro-from-home-on-my-laptop/8ca77991-fdb1-437b-b37f-1deca545fa3d"
  10. Transferring windows license from old laptop to new laptop

Transferring windows license from old laptop to new laptop: Hi Few months back i purchased the retail license of windows 10 pro from microsoft site and install the same on my laptop. Now there is some problem with my existing laptop and need to buy a new one. Can I transfer this license from this old laptop to new laptop? If i go to...