Windows 10: Can I take my Windows 10 license with me to a new laptop?

Discus and support Can I take my Windows 10 license with me to a new laptop? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have Windows 10 installed on a laptop were the hard disk appears to be faulty. I plan on either change the hard disk or get a new computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Hoggorm, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Hoggorm Win User

Can I take my Windows 10 license with me to a new laptop?

Hi,

I have Windows 10 installed on a laptop were the hard disk appears to be faulty. I plan on either change the hard disk or get a new computer entirely.

Can I deactivate Windows 10 on my current laptop and take it with me to the new one, or do I need to buy a new license?

Thank you

:)

Hoggorm, Sep 3, 2017

2. Can I transfer my windows 10 license to a new microsoft account?

this was not the answer. what I want to know is how to change from one MS Account to another MS account?

ThomasLambert, Sep 3, 2017
  3. Can I transfer my windows 10 license to a new microsoft account?

The MS account has nothing to do with Activation of Windows 10. It only associates each device you use with the account so you can monitor this.

There are strong advantages to using a MS Account for Windows 10, not least of which is the ability to backup 15 gb of files to the cloud with Onedrive. But if you wanted to try it without one you can change to a Local Account in Settings>Account>Sign in
    with a local account instead.

If you used a Product Key to activate Windows 10 retail, then that key is what needs to be preserved for reinstall reactivation, although the best way to handle reinstall in 20 minutes is by saving a

System Image Backup.

Other information here about
    Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 3, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    If you just change the disk then there's nothing you need to do. The disk is not counted as part of the hardware ID used to match you PC to your digital licence held on Microsoft's activation servers. Just put in a new disk, do a clean install of the same edition (Home or Pro) as you had before. Skip entering a key if asked for one during the install. It should activate automatically as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

Bree, Sep 3, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Sep 3, 2017
  7. Hoggorm Win User
    Thank you very much guys!

Highly appreciated.

Hoggorm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I take my Windows 10 license with me to a new laptop? - Similar Threads - license laptop

2. I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop: I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop, if i install windows 11 on my new pc and then log into my microsoft account do i still need to purchase license or will it go over from my laptop? because im planning on buying new pc and selling laptop away because i dont really need...
  3. I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop: I got windows 11 licensed on my laptop, if i install windows 11 on my new pc and then log into my microsoft account do i still need to purchase license or will it go over from my laptop? because im planning on buying new pc and selling laptop away because i dont really need...
  4. Re-activating a Win11 digital entitlement license after laptop reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-activating a Win11 digital entitlement license after laptop reset: I have a digital entitlement license which I obtained after I upgraded form Win8.1 licensed with a key to Win10 and later to Win11.Everything was running smoothly until a windows update totally broke the status bar on my Windows 11.I tried a few restores but they throw BSOD...
  5. Re-activating a Win11 digital entitlement license after laptop reset

Re-activating a Win11 digital entitlement license after laptop reset: I have a digital entitlement license which I obtained after I upgraded form Win8.1 licensed with a key to Win10 and later to Win11.Everything was running smoothly until a windows update totally broke the status bar on my Windows 11.I tried a few restores but they throw BSOD...
  6. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...
  7. Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...

Can i upgrade the SSD in my laptop and keep the same windows license that came with it when...: I want to upgrade storage as it is too little and i have an SSD i want to replace it with, am i able to use my windows license i have in the old SSD on the new one instead? It is a laptop windows license so it came with the laptop i bought. I would like some assistance thank...
  8. Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...: License Activation slui.exe failed with the following error code:hr=0xC004F074Command-line...
  9. Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...

Laptop keeps crashing and i keep getting License Activation slui.exe failed with the...: License Activation slui.exe failed with the following error code:hr=0xC004F074Command-line...
  10. Is my Microsoft license from my laptop transferable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my Microsoft license from my laptop transferable?: Greetings,I have something I want to ask.So I was just scrolling on YouTube, and I found a short that made me think, it said that he transfered his license from his Asus laptop to his other desktop since it turns out his laptop's license is connected to his Microsoft...