Windows 10: Can I tell if Win 10 was originally installed on my enterprise laptop

Discus and support Can I tell if Win 10 was originally installed on my enterprise laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a laptop from my company. it currently has win 7 enterprise. Can I tell if was originally supplied with a Win 10 instal and therefor already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bjk896, Dec 21, 2016.

1. bjk896 Win User

Can I tell if Win 10 was originally installed on my enterprise laptop

I have a laptop from my company. it currently has win 7 enterprise.
    Can I tell if was originally supplied with a Win 10 instal and therefor already activated for win 10 ?
    How can I know if Microsoft already has the laptop on Win 10 activation system ?

:)

bjk896, Dec 21, 2016
  2. mlg63 Win User

Reverting to original license in windows 10

Windows 7 key is not embedded as win 8 is. He will need the original win 7 pro key since Enterprise is not actually activated. It cannot be activated without a volume license. Only windows 10 Pro was eligible to install on a win 7 pro computer. Enterprise
    is not part of the free upgrade offer. The tech was wrong to have installed Enterprise.

The original Win 10 upgrade was never completely installed so there is no activated license to retrieve. If there is a sticker with the activation key on the computer, that can be used to activate Win 10 Pro.

mlg63, Dec 21, 2016
  3. How can i tell if my phone was factory unlocked or user unlocked?

@milkmanhunter

AFAIK there is no way that user can check unless this is done electronically to check status of each of the locks but I maybe wrong here. Screenshot from factory unlocked E72 although both Key Code Count and FBUS Count Code can be zeroed; Key Code Count
    would indicate if unlock code had been entered by user if not returned to zero:

Can I tell if Win 10 was originally installed on my enterprise laptop [​IMG]

aspergerguy, Dec 21, 2016
  4. Can I tell if Win 10 was originally installed on my enterprise laptop

What is your laptop's make and model number?

Matthew Wai, Dec 21, 2016
  5. bjk896 Win User
    Its a Lenovo 80EW but I dont see the relevance of the Question
    My issue is that the laptop was bought as a one off and - I think - loaded with win7 Enterprise and other specifics by our IT people. If it was bought it would have had an OS and I'd like to know if its possible to discover if it was win 10 and how it would be evident short of doing an install of win 10

bjk896, Dec 21, 2016
  6. Plankton Win User
    Because; with that information we can look up the laptop from the vendors website and see what was originally installed on it.

To answer your question: NO. As you so eloquently pointed out; it was bought off hand and company clean installed what they wanted.

Plankton, Dec 21, 2016
  7. Run this utility, ShowKeyPlus If it has an OEM embedded key for Windows 10 then it originally shipped with Windows 10. And Windows 10 could be reinstalled and activated with that OEM key.

alphanumeric, Dec 21, 2016
  8. Plankton Win User

Nice piece of software there....I downloaded it and will reference this page from now on. Learn something new every day.

Plankton, Dec 21, 2016
  9. I downloaded it long ago, but I guess it will just show the following:

Matthew Wai, Dec 21, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    No. Showkey Plus will also show you the product key and Windows version that a Windows 10 upgrade came from (not a clean install because that information is erased when a clean install is done). It will also show you any product keys stored in the computer's BIOS or UEFI and what version of Windows it is for.

NavyLCDR, Dec 21, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    The full model name is: Lenovo B50-80 Laptop - Type 80EW. The B50-80 is shown by Lenovo on their Supported System List as tested and approved for upgrade to Windows 10, so no - it wouldn't have come with 10 pre-installed by Lenovo. It looks like it would have been supplied with Windows 7, maybe 8 if late in the production run. Any embedded key in the hardware would most likely be for Windows 7, but that would be an eligible key for an upgrade.

The only way to see if it did get the free upgrade would be, as you say, to do a clean install. But even that may be inconclusive, some have reported that the free upgrade may still work despite being officially too late to qualify.

12. Asuza Win User
    Perhaps you should visit your company's IT department and be very nice to them and ask for an upgrade to Windows 10. I know for sure if someone at my company would come with their laptop to us and asked friendly and politely for a Windows 10 upgrade I would do it for sure. But then again, we have a volume licention of Windows 10. Your company may have not, but it's worth a shot *Smile

Asuza, Dec 21, 2016
  13. Bree New Member

That would seem to be the case, as Lenovo says...
    Windows 7 Laptops | Affordable Lenovo B50-80 | Lenovo US
    ...on the Features tab for this model, only to contradict themselves on the Tech Specs tab.
    Windows 7 Laptops | Affordable Lenovo B50-80 | Lenovo US

Presumably the specs page was updated in its lifetime, but they forgot to do so on the Features page. Or maybe you got a choice of OS at the first 'out of the box' power up.

14. bjk896 Win User
    Folks
    Thanks for persevering with an old fella. I know now i cant proceed other than a clean install of Win 10 and that makes it a lottery about activation cos ShowKey wasn't able to tell me anything. Thanks for all your help and some extra knowledge was shared. As for going back to my IT people (Person) the one involved is no longer with us and all knowledge went with him.

bjk896, Dec 22, 2016
  15. Only Windows 8/8.1 and 10 use OEM embedded keys. Those keys are permanently stored in the BIOS. If they are there, showkey will find them, regaurdless of what OS is on the device. Assuming the utility will run without errors on the OS installed. I do believe its usable on Windows 7.
    Windows 7 and earlier use an OEM marker in the BIOS. It's an identifier, but no actual key is stored there. If you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 or 10, showkey can still find the old key. Windows stores to another location during the upgrade process. If Windows 8 or 10 was clean installed on a Windows 7 PC the Windows 7 key is lost, it was only ever stored in the Windows registry.
    Enterprise throws another wrinkle into things as it only ever activated with a Volume License key. And it does not qualify for the free upgrade, aside from the fact that the free upgrade offer is over. It didn't qualify in the first place.

Is there a COA sticker on it anywhere? Don't forget to remove the battery and look in the battery compartment.

alphanumeric, Dec 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Can I tell if Win 10 was originally installed on my enterprise laptop - Similar Threads - tell was originally

2. Windows 10/11 Enterprise Original

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10/11 Enterprise Original: I have a company email and it indicated me Windows 10/11 Enterprise Original on the subscription. Can you help me with this soon to activate the Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-1011-enterprise-original/09b51556-385d-4034-b979-94ecf0e684dc
  3. Windows 10/11 Enterprise Original

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10/11 Enterprise Original: I have a company email and it indicated me Windows 10/11 Enterprise Original on the subscription. Can you help me with this soon to activate the Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-1011-enterprise-original/09b51556-385d-4034-b979-94ecf0e684dc
  4. Windows 10/11 Enterprise Original

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Win 10 Enterprise

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Enterprise: I have more than 15 new system brand new Fresh installation ,and almost all system freeze/hang up keyboard mouse even not working i couldn't find out any reason related to hardware/software.I found this logs in event logger, Is it related to that or what is the reason of...
  6. can install win 10 enterprise digitally licensed, after I removed it?

can install win 10 enterprise digitally licensed, after I removed it?: the problem started when I installed that stupid recovery program, and the program nearly ruined my drive C partition which is my windows system drive, so I have to destroy the partitions and reinstall the windows again. but problem is my windows is 10 enterprise and I got...
  7. how can i get original windows 10 back to my laptop

how can i get original windows 10 back to my laptop: hey .. I bought my labtop like three years ago.. it had an original windows 10 .. accidentally I had to completely format the hard drive , so I lost my original windows 10 .. I really want to get back windows 10 to my laptop because I don't want to use cracked one … Thanks a...
  8. Can I install Windows 10 Enterprise on top of Windows 10 Enterprise?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I install Windows 10 Enterprise on top of Windows 10 Enterprise?: Hi guys need some help I bought PC of someone online and it had pirated windows 10 enterprise on it I went and bought Legit windows 10 enterprise but I don't want to do fresh install as I have way too much things I really don't want to lose. My question is can I install...
  9. Installing Win 10 Enterprise on a leased laptop

Installing Win 10 Enterprise on a leased laptop: My business leases laptops from a leasing company and we would like to purchase Windows 10 Enterprise and install it on the leased laptops (we have the option of leasing the laptops with Ubuntu at no extra charge), however we're being told that Microsoft wont allow Windows 10...
  10. I can not open Origin on my laptop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can not open Origin on my laptop.: I used to be able to easily access origin to play my downloaded games but now I can't access origin or my games. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but I still seem to be unable to open it. Every time I click on origin or the downloaded game in question, The Sims 4, I...