Windows 10: Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?

Discus and support Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I built a new PC and want to install windows 8.1. For this I need to buy a product key. I was told that OEM product keys are "married" to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by xlook, Jul 24, 2016.

1. xlook Win User

Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?

I built a new PC and want to install windows 8.1. For this I need to buy a product key. I was told that OEM product keys are "married" to the motherboard for life.

But lets say I install win 8.1 and use an OEM product key yo activate it. And lets say in the future I get rid of the old motherboard and install a new motherboard. Will I be able to transfer the product key to the new motherboard? Or would I need a retail product key to transfer the key to a new PC or motherboard?

:)

xlook, Jul 24, 2016

2. Transferring Retail but keeping OEM key's installed?

I'm upgrading my laptop (Razer blade stealth) from the OEM windows 10 home, to the RETAIL version of windows 10 pro. I'm wondering if I take that RETAIL product key, and transfer it to a new computer (example, buying a new laptop), will the old laptop
    still have the OEM windows 10 home product key installed after the transfer? Or will windows be illegitimate?

Coby Hackett, Jul 24, 2016
  3. Can I re-use my windows 10 key on another pc?

If its a retail copy, not an OEM System Builder license, you can transfer it as long as it is removed from the current computer it is installed on.

1 product key, 1 license, you can't perform multiple installs using the same product key.

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

Andre Da Costa, Jul 24, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User
  5. No, however if your motherboard is broken and you replace it with the exact same motherboard you have to talk to Microsoft and they may activate it. If that same motherboard is no longer available, buy a new license.

alkaufmann, Jul 24, 2016
  6. xlook Win User
    I see.. Do you know if microsoft still allows people to download win 7 from them with a product key?

xlook, Jul 24, 2016
  7. Rocky Win User
    Did you read the link provided?

Rocky, Jul 24, 2016
  8. xlook Win User

I did. But they dont mention if you can download win 7 from microsoft. Did you read the link?

xlook, Jul 24, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Jul 24, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Use this link (thanks to member KYHI) to download windows 7 iso from MS even if key is oem.

https://www.heidoc.net/php/Windows%2...Downloader.exe

cereberus, Jul 24, 2016
  11. Rocky Win User
    Ahh, you got me because the original post does not say one thing about Windows 7.

Rocky, Jul 24, 2016
  12. xlook Win User
    xlook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC? - Similar Threads - Transfer OEM Product

2. can windows 10 OEM can transfer into a new PC ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can windows 10 OEM can transfer into a new PC ?: Hello Everyone I'm kinda upset right now because my PC died and I did build a new computer then I can't reactivate my Windows 10 Pro, how do I manage this ?, should I remove device from a not working device from my account, I've struggling in the last couple weeks can you...
  3. can windows 10 OEM can transfer into a new PC ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can windows 10 OEM can transfer into a new PC ?: Hello Everyone I'm kinda upset right now because my PC died and I did build a new computer then I can't reactivate my Windows 10 Pro, how do I manage this ?, should I remove device from a not working device from my account, I've struggling in the last couple weeks can you...
  4. can windows 10 OEM can transfer into a new PC ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. New computer and transferring product keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computer and transferring product keys: [ATTACH] (English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes) Hi everyone! I have a few questions about Product Keys and licensing on Windows. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that comes with a linux distro instead of windows, I don't actually use linux so I'm going...
  6. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?: I have decided to build a new PC instead of trying to fix the unsupported UEFI Disk problem I've had for the last year with my current PC. I have downloaded the Windows 10 Media and installed it to a USB drive. When the install routine asks for my product key, I would like to...
  7. OEM Product Key

OEM Product Key: I recently bought a Windows 10 Pro (OEM) and installed it on my computer which currently has a windows 10 Home ( OEM ). Then i installed the windows 10 home to my laptop. However i can't activate the product key of the said OS. I get this error "We can't activate windows on...
  8. Digital product key transfer - Broken PC to new Pc

Digital product key transfer - Broken PC to new Pc: Hi, I had a digital product key on my old pc - this is still linked to my Microsoft account. I was wondering if there is any way to move over my old windows product key to my new pc when i don't have access to the old PC any more. Both of the pc's are linked to my...
  9. Transfer OEM key

Transfer OEM key: I have an windows 7 OEM key which I used to activate windows 10 on my old laptop but I got a new one without windows in which I got to activate the old key without any problems. For what it seems, the key is linked to my account. Is it okay to have 2 computers with same key?...
  10. Transferring Non-OEM Windows 10 key to a new PC

Transferring Non-OEM Windows 10 key to a new PC: Hello! I recently built a new PC, and would like to transfer the current Windows license (on the computer that I am typing this on), to the new one. I'm having trouble finding the product key. The standard way of finding it, thru admin command prompt, is not working. Are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. extract the windows license from my razer stealth blade

2. can I transfer an OEM key

3. how to transfer oem product key