Windows 10: Can I Turn Off External Drive During Scan After Restart

Discus and support Can I Turn Off External Drive During Scan After Restart in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; During the first restart after downloading and initiating the install of the Win 10 Ann Update (1607) via Windows Update, I am getting the message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by afhobbs23, Sep 20, 2016.

1. afhobbs23 Win User

Can I Turn Off External Drive During Scan After Restart

During the first restart after downloading and initiating the install of the Win 10 Ann Update (1607) via Windows Update, I am getting the message "Scanning and Repairing drive (F*Smile: x% complete. This scan is very slow. I neglected to turn off or disconnect an external hard drive before initiating the restart. Since this scan of a 500GB drive is probably going to take several hours, if I just disconnect or turn off the external drive, will it just abort the scan and proceed with the restart, or will that mess everything up? *Huh

:)

afhobbs23, Sep 20, 2016
  2. larryis1 Win User

Windows 10 Install- Now Seagate External USB 3TB HardDrive Looses Connection

I replaced the one year old Seagate Drive with a new external USB 3 TB Drive this weekend per your guidance above, and the problem still continues to occur. Please note that the failure to reconnect the external USB Hard Drive (after the computer awakes
    from sleep start or after a restart) only started after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This problem did not exist with the legacy Windows 7 operating system.

The defrag utility states there is no need to defrag, the drive (as well as the legacy drive) are fit and trim.

The checkdisk utility does not show any problem on either the new or legacy drive.

The check error states that the drive was successfully scanned/no problems.

There are no unusual sounds coming from the drive or the legacy drive. The drive is located in an area with complete access to open ventilation and there are no unusual/abnormal heat signatures.

Your guidance was NOT helpful.

Bottom line... my external USB Hard Drive goes off line during computer sleep period and/or restarts. This occurred ONLY after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This operating system change is the source of this problem. Please advise the fix given
    the above.

Thanks, Larry

larryis1, Sep 20, 2016
  3. Access is denied after threat scan

Awhile ago, my external drive originally states that my drive is unrecognizable and so I scanned my drive using Windows
    Defender. After it found 1 threat, it recommends me to restart my pc and so I did. After the restart, the external drive says
    "Access is denied" . I need my files in my 1TB external drive in my Windows 10.
    PLEASE HELP ME ACCESS IT.

Moved from: Virus and Malware / Windows Defender Offline / Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats / Windows 10

Rojane Calopez, Sep 20, 2016
  4. afhobbs23 Win User

Well I took a chance. I turned off the external hard drive and forced a shut down of the computer. I restarted the computer and got a "Attempting to restart ... installation" message. It quickly restarted again, and after about 20 sec. resumed the installation.

Lesson learned: Turn off external hard drives before installing a major update. I have since found several websites that recommend this, but the update itself does not warn to do so and probably should, since you don't have to do with other Windows Updates.

afhobbs23, Sep 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Can I Turn Off External Drive During Scan After Restart - Similar Threads - Turn Off External

2. Laptop is restarting and turning off constantly after powering laptop off during Windows 11...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is restarting and turning off constantly after powering laptop off during Windows 11...: Hi, my laptop has been turning off and then restarting repeating this loop for hours now. I understand that the os is corrupted and someone told me to download windows 11 on another laptop and put that in a USB to transfer it to the current laptop. I am asking for suggestions...
  3. Laptop is restarting and turning off constantly after powering laptop off during Windows 11...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop is restarting and turning off constantly after powering laptop off during Windows 11...: Hi, my laptop has been turning off and then restarting repeating this loop for hours now. I understand that the os is corrupted and someone told me to download windows 11 on another laptop and put that in a USB to transfer it to the current laptop. I am asking for suggestions...
  4. BSOD after turning off or restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after turning off or restarting: Hello I'm having this issue for a while. I ran HP diagnostic and detected a Hardrive failure, then I replaced the Drive but the blue screen continues to show. I'll appreciate your help....
  5. Can I turn off the drive scan and fix?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I turn off the drive scan and fix?: Every time the computer does the drive scan and fix, it is possible the windows may have problem to bootup bootup problems after drive scan and fix have been 2 or 3 times and I have fixed already. So I want to turn off the drive scan and fix in the system, is it possible? If...
  6. Monitor Not Turning Off After Restart

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor Not Turning Off After Restart: On my machine the monitor isn't turning off immediately after a restart. It's not been logged into yet, but it's simply staying on. Normally it sleeps very quickly if no one logs on at the lock screen. What might be the cause of this? 137103
  7. Monitor Not Turning Off After Restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor Not Turning Off After Restart: On my machine the monitor isn't turning off immediately after a restart. It's not been logged into yet, but it's simply staying on. Normally it sleeps very quickly if no one logs on at the lock screen. What might be the cause of this? 137103
  8. Windows 8.1 64 DEFENDER TURNS OFF DURING SCAN ! shut shuts turning turned

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 8.1 64 DEFENDER TURNS OFF DURING SCAN ! shut shuts turning turned: Windows 8.1 64 16 GB RAM (2 sticks vengeance ddr3) Intel i7-4790K (Not overclocked and won't be) Motherboard GIGABYTE Z97-HD3 LGA 1150 rev 2.0 GeForce GTX 1050ti not overclocked PSU: EVGA supernova 650 Watt G2 80 plus Gold....
  9. How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive

How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive: This seems like something that should be incredibly easy, but it isn't. I have a BitLocker protected external drive connected to my computer. When I unlock it in order to access it, I do not see any way to lock it up again other than to physically disconnect and reconnect...
  10. How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive

How to turn BitLocker back on after turning it off to access external drive: This seems like something that should be incredibly easy, but it isn't. I have a BitLocker protected external drive connected to my computer. When I unlock it in order to access it, I do not see any way to lock it up again other than to physically disconnect and reconnect...