Windows 10: Can I update 2 Windows 10 computers with one download (metered conn)

Discus and support Can I update 2 Windows 10 computers with one download (metered conn) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Thanks so much! Deb Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CODeb, Apr 5, 2018.

1. CODeb Win User

Can I update 2 Windows 10 computers with one download (metered conn)

Thanks so much!

Deb

CODeb, Apr 5, 2018
  2. CODeb Win User

We have two computers that run Windows 10, and we have metered satellite internet, so we pay a lot for our precious allotted data each month, and guard it like a hawk.

Is there any way we can download the updates with just one of the computers and then update both with that update? Right now, both computers are downloading each update (sometimes multiple times due to failed updates), and this is eating up our data at a rapid rate.

Also, is there any way to delay updates until we can get to unmetered internet connections?

Thanks in advance,

Deb

:)

CODeb, Apr 7, 2018
  3. Prevent Automatic Downloads in Windows 10

For one, Windows Update will only download priority updates if it's a metered connection (which is about the only way you can control the
    download of updates on a Win10 Home computer).

PA Bear - MS MVP, Apr 7, 2018
  4. Can I update 2 Windows 10 computers with one download (metered conn)

Failed to install KB4034674

1. I could not find the "Windows 10 Update Assistant" by Dell.

- You may download the Windows 10 Update Assistant on this
    link

2. I asked how I could remove the update from running every day.

- There is no way to stop the update. But you can schedule an update to be installed in your computer.
    When a new update has been downloaded and installed, Windows 10 will prompt you to schedule a time for your PC to restart.

Nonetheless, The easiest way to prevent Windows 10 from automatically downloading updates is to use a metered Internet connection. one of the features of limiting your data is that Windows 10 won't force you to download the updates. Some networks,
    such as cell networks, are metered by default, but you can also meter your Wi-Fi network by going to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Advanced options and turning Set metered connection on.

Should you need further assistance, please let us know.

Raymond Ave, Apr 7, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    At the moment there is the new build if you download that as an iso you can use it on all pc as long as they are the same type 32/64 bit pro/home

Samuria, Apr 7, 2018
  6. Yes you can limit data usage to some extent.

Here's what you could do:
    • Go to Settings -app
    • Navigate to Network & Internet
    • Find you currently active connection and click on it.
    • Scroll down the new page until you find a section Metered Connection
    • Toggle the button to ON -state

Now you have enable metered connection, which will make sure that Windows automatically only downloads the most critical updates like revere security hole patches and Antivirus definitions.

If you want to limit monthly data usage even further then you can do the following:
    • Open Settings -App
    • Navigate to Network & Internet
    • In the side menu select Data Usage
    • In the Data Limit section click on Set Limit -button and set appropriate parameters
    • In the Background data section toggle the radio button from Never to Always

Now all should be as restricted as it can humanly be.

For cumulative updates, which are huge, you could now go and manually download the file on one computer and then use that file on both computers to fix possible issues. Or you could even find a friend with free data plan and download the file on a thumb drive using his/her machine. If your computer is running just fine, then most Cumulative updates are in most cases not needed. You can read more about this at TenForums Tutorial - Download and Install Windows Update from Microsoft Update Catalog

Hope this helps. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 7, 2018
  7. CODeb Win User
    Yes! It helps a lot. I forgot to mention that we have Windows 10 Home version - is the Data Limit - Set Limit available to us? I went in and looked at the Data Limit and I don't see Set Limit...

Thanks so much,
    Deb

CODeb, Apr 7, 2018
  8. Can I update 2 Windows 10 computers with one download (metered conn)

There should be some button there which allows you to set the actual data limit. We have different Windows versions so sending a screenshot here of your Settings window would help me point you in the correct direction.

slicendice, Apr 7, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Unfortunately the lack of data limits settings isn't down to having Home, it's down to having version 1709 (or earlier). 1709 is the latest public release, the Fall Creators Update (os build 16299). The data limit settings will be in 1803, the Spring Creators Update (17133) . From the tutorial...

Bree, Apr 7, 2018
  10. Thanks @Bree for the correction

I've been fiddling with 1803 for too long I think. *Wink

slicendice, Apr 7, 2018
  11. CODeb Win User
    Ah! That is good news - I do have 1709. I'll try to visit friends and update to 1803.

Thanks to you all for your help - such an awesome forum!

Deb

CODeb, Apr 7, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    We expect the Spring Creators Update, 1803 to be released on Tuesday 10th April. When it is released, this page will change to say...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

...and the Media Creation Tool you can download from that page will be updated to the one that makes 1803 install media. Wait until the official release, until then you would only get the old MCT which is for 1709.

Thema:

Can I update 2 Windows 10 computers with one download (metered conn)

1. Can I update 2 Windows 10 computers with one download (metered conn) - Similar Threads - update computers download

2. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  3. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  4. Can I buy one upgrade and install it on 2 computers?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I buy one upgrade and install it on 2 computers?: I want to use my laptop to connect applications and files in my computer. Both using windows 10. I believe that I need to use remote desktop to do so, but for these I need to have it upgraded to windows 10 pro. My question is that if the product key for upgrade work for both...
  5. Can I buy one upgrade and install it on 2 computers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I buy one upgrade and install it on 2 computers?: I want to use my laptop to connect applications and files in my computer. Both using windows 10. I believe that I need to use remote desktop to do so, but for these I need to have it upgraded to windows 10 pro. My question is that if the product key for upgrade work for both...
  6. Can I buy one upgrade and install it on 2 computers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi: I still receive sporadic updates in my Windows 10 desptie that all my WiFi connections are marked as metered. In particular, on 27/07 the system downloaded KB4565483 while I was connected to my cellphone hotspot clearly marked `metered` since long ago. It incurred me the...
  8. Windows 10 update (metered) question

Windows 10 update (metered) question: Going on a cruise soon with a wifi package that I don't want chewed up with frigging Microsoft updates. I recently turned on metering for my home wifi connection and have only been connected via wifi. Still in the last day the frigging computer updated 5.61 gb of updates!?!...
  9. Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Allow Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 By default, Windows Update in Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates,...
  10. metered updates

metered updates: While travelling it is very annoying to have updates running at inconvenient times. I have switched my laptop to metered updates, but this only works apparently for each specific wifi connection. Apparently there isn't a simple way of turning on metered updates for all...