Windows 10: Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?

Discus and support Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm finally thinking to upgrade from W7 to W10. Here's the situation at the moment: 1) 256GB System SSD 2) 1TB data HDD 3) 3TB Raid 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dextermorgan, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?

Hi all,

I'm finally thinking to upgrade from W7 to W10.

Here's the situation at the moment:
    1) 256GB System SSD
    2) 1TB data HDD
    3) 3TB Raid 1 HDD for backup

I want to mount a new 500GB SSD as primary system drive, so I was thinking to use this occasion to put W10 into my machine.

So my question is:

Can I update to W10 as it is and then do a clean install changing the primary system drive while keeping the license?

Thank you

:)

dextermorgan, Dec 11, 2015
  2. CC268 Win User

Can I use USB to upgrade and then do a clean install?

I am bit confused right now. Originally I wiped my SSD and installed Windows 10 using my USB drive - little did I know that you can't do it this way as you won't be able to activate it.

So...can I upgrade from 7 to 10 using my USB drive with Windows 10 on it and THEN do a clean install? Or do I have to wait for my reservation to upgrade?

CC268, Dec 11, 2015
  3. Can I use USB to upgrade and then do a clean install?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

I would like to inform that you can upgrade to Windows 10 using the USB drive and for activation, you can follow the steps provided below after upgrading to Windows 10:

• Press Windows key + R, type “slui 3” and press enter.
    • Enter the product key and check if it works.
    • If you still get the same error, I would suggest you to again press
      Windows key +R.
    • Type “slui 4” and press enter and then follow the prompts to activate the copy by phone.

If issue still persists you may try to contact the phone support of Microsoft and they will help you to fix the issue with activation.

Global
    Customer Service phone numbers

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 11, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?

Yes. I would recommend running ShowKeyPlus from this forum to display your Windows 7 product key and which version it is for. Write it down and keep it.

Solved Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2015
Thema:

Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?

1. Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD? - Similar Threads - upgrade clean install

2. Windows Installer Won't Run for Clean Install on New HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Installer Won't Run for Clean Install on New HDD: Hello!I'm hoping someone might be able to help me solve this issue - I've been reading troubleshooting articles all day and still can't get Windows to install. Here's the context: I was giving a pre-loved gaming computer that, at least in theory, only needed a new hard drive...
  3. Windows Installer Won't Run for Clean Install on New HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Installer Won't Run for Clean Install on New HDD: Hello!I'm hoping someone might be able to help me solve this issue - I've been reading troubleshooting articles all day and still can't get Windows to install. Here's the context: I was giving a pre-loved gaming computer that, at least in theory, only needed a new hard drive...
  4. Windows Installer Won't Run for Clean Install on New HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Computer upgrade - replace HDD and clean install

Computer upgrade - replace HDD and clean install: I have a computer that needs a clean install, so I'm thinking that I would replace the HDD with SDD. My computer started life with Win 8.1 Home, and upgradred to Win 10 Home. To activate Windows, would I need a new licence key for Windows 10 or can I use the one for WIndows...
  6. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.: current setup: hdd running 1903 primary boot target: 1909 upgrade/clean install on ssd then primary boot 1903 still bootable on hdd secondary/backup boot in case of failures of any kind. how would i manage that without an optical which is being replaced by a tray caddy...
  7. Clean install windows 10 on new hdd

Clean install windows 10 on new hdd: Step by Step clean install windows 10 on brand new hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-windows-10-on-new-hdd/ea44534d-7c75-469b-adf6-45d18a481b0d
  8. Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7?

Can I Clean Install Win10 If I Upgraded from 7?: I was one that was able to upgrade for free from Windows 7. Everything had worked just fine, yet my computer never ran nearly as good after the 1607 update, despite fixes. With my upgrade, am I able to Clean Install without having to install Windows 7 first then upgrade to...
  9. Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade

Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade: I have reserved my copy of Win 10 (upgrade from Win7 Pro 32bit retail) , but i plan to fit a SSD and instill the 64bit version of Win 10. does windows 10 need to be upgrade installed first so Win 10 recognizes my hardware or can i download the ISO and do a clean install...
  10. Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD: Hi All, I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (both Pro 64-bit) in PC's old HDD. Now I want do a clean install on a brand new SSD. I have a few questions before I buy the SSD. 1. First off, is it possible to do a clean install of Win 10 in the new SSD...