Windows 10: Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update?

Discus and support Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I don't know why, but I can't seem to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Update. The installation just doesn't happen, and whenever I go to the update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Xehanort, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Xehanort Win User

Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update?

I don't know why, but I can't seem to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Update. The installation just doesn't happen, and whenever I go to the update history all "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" entries show as unsuccessfull.

So what I did was create a bootable USB with Windows 10 Home Single Language (Portuguese-Portugal), using the media creation tool, but before I pull the trigger let me ask this: if I upgrade using the bootable USB, instead of using Windows Update which is not working for me, will Windows 10 still activate my device? And if so, would I be able to perform a clean install afterwards with no worry of activation?

This whole Windows Update thing is pissing me off, I cannot wait to try Windows 10 on my computer!

Thank you for your time *Smile

:)

Xehanort, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows 7 Pro OA License Key doesn't work / won't activate for Windows 10 upgrade? Error code 0xc004f050

How to clean install Windows 10

Seems you can't perform initial upgrade with the usb or disc option. Ran into it this morning so I instead used upgrade computer option iinstead of creating a bootable usb or disc

TheDoctor55, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Custom install instead of upgrade using ISO

Hi Don,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Technical preview.

Please be informed that ISO’s are currently suspended so you may need to wait till 29th July to get the ISO for Windows 10.

Reference:

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10166 - Windows Experience Blog

How
    to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update?

I upgraded by way of the ISO and there's no reason you can't and then do a clean install. Just access setup.exe in the USB and run it and don't boot it up.

cyberrufus, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Xehanort Win User
    Thank you for your help *Smile

Guess I don't need to boot through a USB to upgrade, so I'll just run setup.exe. I was just worried about my license, since I made a reservation but was unable to use it because Windows Update is bugging out on me xD

Xehanort, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update?

1. Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update? - Similar Threads - upgrade using bootable

2. How can I create a bootable usb of windows 11 and use it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a bootable usb of windows 11 and use it?: So I've deleted an important system file and making a bootable drive of windows 11 will fix it. How can I make one and how can I use it to reinstall a new copy of windows 11. I have a product key active currently aswell when I use the bootable drive will the product key...
  3. How can I create a bootable usb of windows 11 and use it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I create a bootable usb of windows 11 and use it?: So I've deleted an important system file and making a bootable drive of windows 11 will fix it. How can I make one and how can I use it to reinstall a new copy of windows 11. I have a product key active currently aswell when I use the bootable drive will the product key...
  4. can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?: I have a 64 gig usb and i want to install tiny11 on my pc. I downloaded the iso file 3.6gig and i want to create a bootable usb using rufus. However there are some files on the usb i want to keep and i can't transfer them elsewhere. Can I create a new partition and use rufus...
  5. can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?: I have a 64 gig usb and i want to install tiny11 on my pc. I downloaded the iso file 3.6gig and i want to create a bootable usb using rufus. However there are some files on the usb i want to keep and i can't transfer them elsewhere. Can I create a new partition and use rufus...
  6. can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Reinstalling Windows Using USB but No bootable device.

Reinstalling Windows Using USB but No bootable device.: So, When I was using windows i got a No bootable device, After I waited for 2 says my USB came with windows iso file inside it. I selected it and it worked but i turned my pc off in the Repair my computer and I tried reinstalling again but its shows No bootable device i...
  8. Is it safe to update windows using a bootable USB?

Is it safe to update windows using a bootable USB?: Hello, My HP Stream 14 Notebook never has enough space for an update, so I was wondering if I could use the Media Creation Tool to update my system. Can anybody tell me theEXACT steps to UPGRADE Windows 10, not a clean install....
  9. Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB?: Hey... My computer is very low on memory and most of it is taken by windows. Can I completely remove windows from my computer and use only a bootable USB to run the OS in order to free some space on hard disk? Windows version: 1909 (18363.1016) 163471
  10. Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511

Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511: Okay so I couldn't get Windows Update to install the November update, so I downloaded the .ISO file and created a bootable USB drive. My question is can use the setup .exe in the thumb drive to do the upgrade? Or will this want to do a clean install? I just want the...