Windows 10: Can I use a Fingerprint Security Reader with NO Win 10 Password?

Discus and support Can I use a Fingerprint Security Reader with NO Win 10 Password? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My wife wanted me to look into Fingerprint Scanners and I see a KByte Fingerprint Security Reader for $12. People have said that on 64 bit Win 10 Pro... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MPSAN, Mar 21, 2016.

1. MPSAN Win User

Can I use a Fingerprint Security Reader with NO Win 10 Password?

My wife wanted me to look into Fingerprint Scanners and I see a KByte Fingerprint Security Reader for $12. People have said that on 64 bit Win 10 Pro no drivers are needed and that they are built in to the OS. But, can we add this to only use with LastPass without having a Windows 10 password?

:)

MPSAN, Mar 21, 2016

2. fingerprint reader devices

I would know which fingerprint reader devices can run on win 10 and if a reader running on win 8 will be compatible. Thanks

Domenico Jannaccone, Mar 21, 2016
  3. Can i use External Fingerprint reader to use Windows Hello in Windows 10.

<Original Title: Windows Hello External Fingerprint reader>

I have a question of Windows Hello Fingerprint readers I was wanting to know if I buy an external fingerprint reader will that fingerprint reader work with Windows Hello? Please respond ASAP I want to get more advanced tech for my PC!

Tristin_828, Mar 21, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Mar 21, 2016
  5. MPSAN Win User
    OK...I had seen that but wanted to be sure it was required. There are only 2 of us in the house now so do not see the value of a login screen!

MPSAN, Mar 21, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you have a fingerprint reader installed, it is still completely optional to use it to log into Windows with. I'm not familiar with the LastPass software.

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2016
  7. MPSAN Win User
    Well I did not buy one yet and was looking at the $12 KByte one. However the post above said that I needed to setup a WIN 10 password for any of them to work at all. So, are you saying I do not need to do this?

MPSAN, Mar 21, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Only if the fingerprint reader has its own software that it uses to sign in to Windows with, otherwise you would need to have a password and PIN to use Windows Hello with the fingerprint reader.

Be sure to check that the fingerprint reader supports Windows 10 to be able to use it for Windows Hello.

Brink, Mar 21, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    But he doesn't want to use the fingerprint reader to sign in to Windows with. He wants the fingerprint reader to sign into LastPass with, which stores passwords for websites. He would go to a website requiring a password, LastPass then asks for a master password, which he would swipe his finger to provide, then LastPass provides the password to the website. As far as I know, there is no requirement to use the fingerprint reader to sign into Windows with in order to use the fingerprint reader with LastPass.

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2016
  10. MPSAN Win User
    Thank you both...
    Yes, that is my question. I guess we just want to use it to enter my LastPass account. LastPass will take it from there, but I do not want or need a Windows password. I believe that the KByte Fingerprint Security Reader ($12 ebay) would work.

MPSAN, Mar 21, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I think it would. I don't see how it would be any different than my military ID card (CAC) reader. When I want to check my work email from home, I connect the card reader to USB, insert my CAC, and it reads the certificates off it to provide to the email server - but I don't have to sign in to Windows with my CAC or reader to do that.

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sorry, I missed "only for LastPass" somehow.

You might also Google the fingerprint reader's model number with the word "LastPass" to see if you may get any results to help confirm that it works with it.

Brink, Mar 21, 2016
  13. MPSAN Win User

Brink there is actually a Youtube video that says that it will work, but does not go into needing a Win 10 password.

MPSAN, Mar 21, 2016
  14. MPSAN Win User
    I suppose that for $12 it might be fun to play with anyway. *Dinesh

MPSAN, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I use a Fingerprint Security Reader with NO Win 10 Password? - Similar Threads - Fingerprint Security Reader

2. Fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint reader: Hy i just bought an Asus Studiobook pro 16 brand new winth windows 11 Pro,and when i try to Setup the Microsoft Hello Fingerprint sign in ,when it asked to put sa finger on the sensor ,nothing happening.The driver is up to date,the Laptop is with Fingerprint reader ,i try...
  3. Fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fingerprint reader: Hy i just bought an Asus Studiobook pro 16 brand new winth windows 11 Pro,and when i try to Setup the Microsoft Hello Fingerprint sign in ,when it asked to put sa finger on the sensor ,nothing happening.The driver is up to date,the Laptop is with Fingerprint reader ,i try...
  4. Fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fingerprint reader: My Precision5530 will not let me use the fingerprint reader to sign into my computer. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-reader/b314b40e-f1d8-4656-8445-ce60053a472c
  5. Can you use a built in fingerprint reader with a password instead of a pin?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you use a built in fingerprint reader with a password instead of a pin?: Is this possible? Or are you forced to use a password? submitted by /u/CaudatusSR [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m726xg/can_you_use_a_built_in_fingerprint_reader_with_a/
  6. fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    fingerprint reader: I have had my yoga C940 for about two weeks and my fingerprint reader has been working fine. then all of a sudden it stops working so I delete it to add another an this happens. I'm totally upset because this is one of the main reasons I purchased his laptop. the windows 10...
  7. fingerprinter reader

fingerprinter reader: hola, tengo un portatil lenovo, venia con windows 7, compre windows 10 pro, pero mi fingerprinter reader no funciona, en windows hello ni en otras aplicaciones, en administrador de de dispositivos lo trate de actualizar diver y me dice que no encontro diver en linea y que...
  8. Unable to use Fingerprint Reader

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to use Fingerprint Reader: Why can't windows hello in my hp probook 6470b set up a fingerprint password yet there is a fingerprint scanner? current OS windows 10 1909, fp drivers hp protecttools manager and validity fingerprint sensors. will be great to receive help here. Thanks. ***Modified title...
  9. Prefer Fingerprint Reader use Password Instead of PIN

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Prefer Fingerprint Reader use Password Instead of PIN: I just purchased a modest Toshiba laptop to replace my five year old HP laptop. Being new to W10, I am not impressed with and do not trust the use of a PIN rather than a sophisticated password. The USB reader I bought for the Toshiba is an Eikon using Authentec driver. I...
  10. Fingerprint Reader ?

Fingerprint Reader ?: Hi, I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon (2012 version) with a fingerprint reader. When I want to install the lenovo driver I have a message that said the Windows Biometric Framework need to be activate. I go into gpedit.msc and active the service, reboot the computer but still the...