Windows 10: Can I use a Windows 7 starter key to activate windows 10 home 64-bit?

Discus and support Can I use a Windows 7 starter key to activate windows 10 home 64-bit? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello! Microsoft said that with 1511 build we can now enter a Windows 7/8/8.1 licence key to activate windows 10 until july... but not so much more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pomdapi, Dec 31, 2015.

1. pomdapi Win User

Can I use a Windows 7 starter key to activate windows 10 home 64-bit?

Hello!
    Microsoft said that with 1511 build we can now enter a Windows 7/8/8.1 licence key to activate windows 10 until july... but not so much more information whatsoever.
    I have a Windows 7 starter spare product key. I guess it's 32-bit (since I never heard of 64-bit version).
    I would like to know if with that key I could activate a clean copy of windows 10 home 64-bit ? I can't find any source to confirm that matter, and I don't really want to test & try.

Thank you for you help!

:)

pomdapi, Dec 31, 2015
  2. csaputo-2 Win User

Activate Windows 10 Home with Windows 7 Starter Product Key?

Hi. I'm wondering if you can activate Windows 10 Home with a Windows 7 Starter key.

I've got a few old netbooks lying around that don't have an hdd and have these Windows 7 Starter keys. Thanks for those who can answer.

csaputo-2, Dec 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 will not activate, Error code: 0xC004C003

Thank you for saying this: "0xC004C003 means the activation server determined the specified product key is in use." Some other Microsoft employees say that the activation servers are overloaded, or that I did something wrong in installing the upgrade,
    etc. Mr. Srninivasa, you are the only one who says the key itself has a problem. THEREFORE I NEED YOUR HELP.

One PC that I am trying to upgrade came with Windows 7 Starter preinstalled. The Windows 7 Starter key is OEM not MAK. Windows 7 Starter was activated (phone activation succeeded 3 times; the last time was after figuring out that the hard drive needed
    replacing and it worked). Windows Update was up to date with all updates. The reservation for upgrade to Windows 10 Home was a successful reservation but the download didn't start yet. While Windows 7 was running, I attached a USB DVD drive, inserted a
    Windows 10 Home DVD (burned from an ISO download from Microsoft), and executed setup.exe from within Windows 7. The upgrade process worked without any visible problems.

But Windows 10 says it's unactivated. The error code is 0xC004C003 and the explanation is that the key is blocked.

Why is a valid, activated (though phone activated) Windows 7 Starter key treated as a MAK key? It is from the sticker on a PC, an LG X200 which was made for sale in Lebanon (also made for sale in LG's home country of South Korea, and Brazil). I do not
    think the key is pirated.

"slui.exe 4" brings up a phone activation screen like Windows 7 had, but the automated response for Windows 10 says "activation error".

3 days, around 30 failures to activate, and counting.

The correct upgrade path is Windows 10 Home, right? How can I get this thing activated? My wife was hoping to return it to her relative this week.

Norman Diamond, Dec 31, 2015
  4. Wullail Win User

You have to upgrade a copy of win 7/8/8.1 already on a PC with windows 10 before you can do a clean install on the same machine.

So you'd need to install windows 7 using that key first.

The upgrade process is what creates the windows 10 hash key that the installation servers recognise when you do a clean install.

The upgrade copy of Windows 10 matches what's already on the PC already , so I think you'd only be able to install the 32 bit version initially.

I can't see an issue with then doing a clean install of 64bit win 10 afterwards when the PC has been upgraded to windows 10 from 7 though.

Wullail, Dec 31, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    Product keys are not linked to 32 or 64 bit. You can clean install either. You can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit - you must do a clean install.

7 starter will allow you to install 10 Home. Can Windows 7 Starter be upgraded to 10 - Microsoft Community

They may be linked to the original PC though. If you have a OEM key it is only for that PC and isn't supposed to be transferable to another new computer. If you bought the key separately (normally called "retail") it can be transferred and installed anywhere (but only be installed on one PC at a time obviously).

That was true in the past (on build 10240) but since the November release (1511 or build 10586) this is no longer required. You can clean install directly.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I use a Windows 7 starter key to activate windows 10 home 64-bit? - Similar Threads - starter key activate

2. Windows 7 starter to Windows 10 home 64bit with product key on a PC.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 starter to Windows 10 home 64bit with product key on a PC.: Hi Team,I had a broken laptop with a windows 7 starter product key on Aspire One.Cannot use the laptop already broken still got the sticker on the laptop I bought a PC and installed windows 7 starter and used the product key on the PC and windows 7 starter was working fine.I...
  3. Windows 7 starter to Windows 10 home 64bit with product key on a PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 starter to Windows 10 home 64bit with product key on a PC.: Hi Team,I had a broken laptop with a windows 7 starter product key on Aspire One.Cannot use the laptop already broken still got the sticker on the laptop I bought a PC and installed windows 7 starter and used the product key on the PC and windows 7 starter was working fine.I...
  4. Windows 7 starter to Windows 10 home 64bit with product key on a PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 home 64 bits

Windows 10 home 64 bits: My new computer has Windows 10 home 64 bit and version OS Build 18363.1500. Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10. I am using my home computer. How can I get the latest version of Windows 10, where can I get the latest version and what is the name...
  6. Key for installing Windows 10 Home 64-bit?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Key for installing Windows 10 Home 64-bit?: I am trying to create a dual-boot system with my iMac. I need Windows in order to be employed part-time (for peanuts) because it is remote work and their platform requires Windows. I am not sure if I will even get the job. I am not sure I will like it if I get it. Is there a...
  7. Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home 64 bit: My son’s computer is running Windows 7 64 bit and I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Of course I want to spend as little as possible for the license/upgrade and I found a couple on eBay that are pretty cheap Error Page | eBay and Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit...
  8. Windows 10 home 64 bit

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 home 64 bit: Ok one of my desktop that i bought came with windows 10 home 64 bit installed on it if i want to put the same windows on my macbook pro i would need a iso file and would i need a new product key...
  9. Windows 10 (64 bit) Upgrade from Windows 7 (64 bit)

Windows 10 (64 bit) Upgrade from Windows 7 (64 bit): Will there be a patch to install Windows 10 64 bit on our older computers? I know about the 32 bit version being compatible, but the AMD Athlon cpu's were originally designed to run 64 bit applications. Most of the cpu's have more than enough power for the OS. I'm sure there...
  10. for window 10 pro 64 bit activation key

for window 10 pro 64 bit activation key: I have done window 10 pro in my pc by USB installation but it was need to window activate with a key so please give me a suggestion to activate window in our pc....