Windows 10: Can I use Macrium Image/Restore process to transfer to NVme SSD

Discus and support Can I use Macrium Image/Restore process to transfer to NVme SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I currently have my Windows system on a 250G SSD (SATA 0). I have read that a good way to upgrade to a new SSD, would be to use Macrium to image the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IsaacFL, Dec 12, 2016.

1. IsaacFL Win User

Can I use Macrium Image/Restore process to transfer to NVme SSD

I currently have my Windows system on a 250G SSD (SATA 0). I have read that a good way to upgrade to a new SSD, would be to use Macrium to image the current system, boot to the Macrium USB recovery, then restore the image to the new drive.

Is this feasible if the new SSD (500G) is an NVMe M.2 drive instead of SATA? Should I install the drivers for the new NVMe before I image the current system?

My motherboard is new ASRock and supposedly supports NVMe for boot.

:)

IsaacFL, Dec 12, 2016
  2. LeeB1430 Win User

Safe Mode

Wayne,

No, the problem SSD was a Samsung 840 Pro on a desktop. I was only using the XPS 15 to test getting into safe mode.

But that brings up another problem. There is currently no way to clone an M.2 NVMe SSD on a laptop as no one appears to make a USB 3 to NVMe x4 adapter. One must do an image backup to an external drive and then a restore to the new M.2 NVMe x4 SSD.

Some image backup programs don't support NVMe x4 PCIe and don't work. I have found Macrium Reflect, paid version, does work. And probably Windows 10's recovery as Win 10 supports NVMe in most cases. The only other possible way is to put the NVMe drives in
    a desktop that has multiple M.2 NVMe slots to clone it. My next build will have 3, 1 for it's boot drive and 2 for this sort of work.

Lee

LeeB1430, Dec 12, 2016
  3. Js3199 Win User
    Migrating Windows 10 from m.2 sata to new pcie nvme ssd

Hello all,

I'm going to upgrade my current m.2 sata 128gb to a m.2 pcie nvme 480gb and have questions about migrating Windows over. From my understanding since i have a laptop and cant connect both drives at the same time and pcie nvme isnt supported externally I was
    going to try and create a restore disk of my current drive and then image it to my new drive. Will this work?

Again my process will be, create rescue disk and image to usb, power down and swap drives, enable usb boot to my usb and power on, run the rescue disk and image to my new pcie nvme ssd.

Does anyone see problems with this? Do I need a large usb or will 32gb work for a 128gb ssd?

Js3199, Dec 12, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

You don't need to do all that.
    • Install M.2. If recognized then proceed.
    • Run Macrium from your current Windows, click on "clone this Disk" (250GB SSD Windows disk)
    • Select M.2 Drive as destination then drag and drop each partition to M.2 disk
    • You will have some unallocated space at the end of M.2 since it has 500GB. You can expand the partition (assuming C drive) by selecting it then click on "Cloned partition properties" to resize the partition for full use of 500GB.
    • click next->Finish
    • Disconnect the 250GB then reboot.

topgundcp, Dec 12, 2016
  5. IsaacFL Win User
    One detail I omitted. When I install the M.2 drive, my motherboard will disable the SATA 0 and 1 ports. So with current configuration I can't just install the M.2 drive.

Maybe I could move the existing Windows drive from SATA 0 to SATA 2, but wasn't sure I could do that?

I might try and see what happens.

IsaacFL, Dec 12, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    No problem. Make sure Sata 2 is on first boot order in the BIOS.

topgundcp, Dec 12, 2016
  7. IsaacFL Win User
    I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks.

IsaacFL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I use Macrium Image/Restore process to transfer to NVme SSD - Similar Threads - Macrium Image Restore

2. Restoring Macrium Reflect image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring Macrium Reflect image: I really need help. Let me say first that the image I made with MR is about 1.5 yrs old. I see no reason why that should matter. I opened Macrium Reflect and went to the Restore heading. There I browsed to and selected the image I wanted to restore. This is what I see:...
  3. Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME

Macrium reflect backup and restore SATA to NVME: Ok guys another conundrum, but this isnt a critical issue rather something that would be nice to fix. So I was temporarily without my m.2 drive, and windows 10 was actually originally installed on a spare SATA SSD I had. When my m.2 stick was available again, I backed up...
  4. Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT

Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT: Hello I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 build 18362.959 on a Dell Optiplex 7040 MT w/16GB RAM and 512GB 2.5" SSD Win 10 is still MBR partitioned I'm adding a 500GB NVMe I purchased from Crucial I'm using Macrium Home Edition v7.2.5107 (s/b latest version) I want to...
  5. Can Macrium restore an MS System Image?

Can Macrium restore an MS System Image?: Somewhere I saw someone state that Macrium can restore MS System Images. Anyone know if it can? I can't ask on their forum as you can only register after you buy the product and I tried emailing their contact - L: [email protected] but the emails bounce as spam. Not very...
  6. Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium

Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium: Hi, I wanted to upgrade my pc replacing a 256GB SSD with a 512GB SSD. So I followed this guide (Upgrading laptop SSD to larger SSD using Macrium and external HDD): Capture an IMAGE of the ENTIRE original drive to a file on your external drive. Swap out the SSD. Boot into...
  7. Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect

Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect: I made an Image backup of Windows 10 64 Bit the other day using the free version of Macrium Reflect v.7. I am having a spot of trouble on my Dell laptop and decided I would restore the system from Macrium. What I failed to do, I am beginning to understand, was to make the...
  8. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  9. Is Macrium CBT useful on an NVMe SSD drive

Is Macrium CBT useful on an NVMe SSD drive: I recently made the jump to the paid version on MReflect after my satisfaction with the FREE version (thnx in part to the guides & help on this forum); and,was wondering how useful the Changed Block Tracker feature/driver of MReflect is on a PC with an SSD drive (specifically...
  10. Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect: I am in the process of creating an Image of HP Pavillion DVT7 2200 Notebook now. Once it completes I would really appreciate getting some steps to follow to restore it. The Laptop I have Macrium Reflect running on now will have the HD replaced as it on the verge of failing...