Windows 10: Can I Use My Windows 7 Pro Key For Win 10 Pro :huh:

Discus and support Can I Use My Windows 7 Pro Key For Win 10 Pro :huh: in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This key I used once before getting windows 10 home same pc so it worked fine when i tried it in normal windows change the code and it upgraded me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bree, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

Can I Use My Windows 7 Pro Key For Win 10 Pro :huh:

You had Windows 10 Home, then used the key to upgrade to Pro. This means your PC should now have two digital licences on Microsoft's activation servers, one for Home and one for Pro. You can install either on the new SSD without using a key and Windows will activate automatically from the appropriate digital licence.

The ISO the Media Creation Tool creates is universal, it can install all versions: S, Home, Pro, Home single language, and the 'N' version of each. The N version is specifically for the for the EU market and is missing the media features to meet EU regulations. Being in Australia, you would be unlikely to have the N version.

What was the original Windows this PC was supplied with? If it was Windows 7 then you can boot from the install media and Setup will ask which version to install. You can choose Pro, skip entering a key, and once installed it will activate from the existing digital licence.

If the PC was built for Windows 8 there is a Win8 key embedded in the firmware. Setup will detect this and use that to choose which version to install. You will not be asked for a key. Depending on the version of Windows 8 the key is for you will get either Home or Pro. If that turns out to be Home, then you can upgrade to Pro by changing the key. See Step 5 in this tutorial for how to upgrade from Home to Pro.

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro Windows 10 Tutorials

Bree, Apr 4, 2018

2. *Huh As the title says can I use my windows 7 CD key to upgrade from windows 10 homes to pro so I can get some pro features??? *Huh

:)

Elite Knight, Apr 27, 2018
  3. NgM007 Win User
    Upgrading from Window 7 home to Window 10 Pro with Windows 8 Pro Product Key?

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 home pc that I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I have bought 3 Windows 8 Pro upgrades sometime ago that I have not used. I want to do an upgrade and not a clean install so that I can preserve my settings and applications. Can
    you suggest the easiest way to do that?

I believe I can upgrade my Win 7 home to Win 8 Pro with my license key, then from Win 8 pro to Win 10 pro with the 10586 November updates. I am hoping if there is a simpler way, like upgrading from Win 7 home to Win 10 home and with the Win 8 pro license
    key to update the Win 10 key from home to pro. Is this possible? Is there an easier way?

Martin

NgM007, Apr 27, 2018
  4. Can I Use My Windows 7 Pro Key For Win 10 Pro :huh:

Windows 10 and 7 Pro OEM activation

Hi,

From what I understand the Win 10 Pro OEM key can be used to activate Win 7 Pro OEM. Bascially I have a request to build a PC with Win 7 Pro, as this is need for the software used by the business. I have run out of copies
    of Win 7 Pro OEM.

I've tried using a Win 10 Pro OEM key for a Win 7 Pro OEM activation, but it's not working, tells me the key is not valid. Am I suppose to install Win 10 pro OEM, activate it, and then install Win 7 pro OEM, and activate
    with the same key. I'm still getting orders for PCs with Win 7 Pro, and finally run out of copies.

What is the correct procedure to activate an Win 7 Pro OEM install with a Win 10 Pro OEM key?

Thanks

DavidKent1, Apr 27, 2018
  5. Nuccii Win User
    Nope, must purchase the Win 10 Pro key.

Nuccii, Apr 27, 2018
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    1) Only if your W7 version is either PRO or ULTIMATE (not HOME or Not Enterprise).
    2) You will need in this case install W7 first to do upgrade.

Not sure if the latest "Media creation tools" still works for free activation -- I used an ISO from around December which worked -- if you have a decent machine won't take too long to test and try -- backup existing system first though with Free Macrium.

If you do use an older iso windows update will bring it up to date. If it doesn't work then simply restore existing system --Free Macrium fine for that.

When creating a bootable USB stick to get all the options (i.e a menu of which W10 version to install)

add this file to the SOURCES folder (create it via notepad or whatever).

Extract the iso file created with the media creation tool and insert the file into SOURCES folder -- now create bootable USB file with rufus and install.

[Channel]
    _Default
    [VL]

save it as ei.cfg -- NOT ei.cfg.txt

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 27, 2018
  7. I just tryed it and it worked.

Yes it is a pro key.

Elite Knight, Apr 27, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

The ability to use a qualifying 7/8 key for a clean install without first needing to upgrade an existing install of 7/8 was introduced in the Fall Creators Update, 1511.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Thanks, good to know that the upgrade activation still works.

9. Yea do I just put the code in when I am installing windows on my new SSD today I have bootable USB.

Elite Knight, Apr 28, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    You said earlier...
    Did you mean you have installed Windows 10 Pro on the old HDD using that key and it activated? What does it say in Settings > Update & Security > Activation? If it says 'Windows is activated with a digital licence...' then a digital licence has been stored on Microsoft's activation servers, linked to the unique hardware ID of the PC.

The drive is not part of this hardware ID, so if you want to put in a new SSD you can. Just boot from the USB and do a clean install of Pro. When asked for a key click the 'I don't have one...' link. As soon as Windows can contact the activation servers it will activate automatically from the existing digital licence.

11. This key I used once before getting windows 10 home same pc so it worked fine when i tried it in normal windows change the code and it upgraded me to pro but when I put my new ssd in can I use the same key to make sure professional gets installed not home.

Some features I want from pro windows 10 that you cannot

(I Used Windows Free Upgrade Download Windows 10 To USB For My ISO Where It Has Every Windows 10 Version There Is Normal and N versions)

Elite Knight, Apr 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I Use My Windows 7 Pro Key For Win 10 Pro :huh: - Similar Threads - Pro Key Pro

2. Can I upgrade a PC with windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro using a windows 11 pro key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I upgrade a PC with windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro using a windows 11 pro key?: I have a PC with windows 7 pro that has hardware that is not capable of supporting window 11. Since windows 7 has already reached end of life, I wish to upgrade this PC to windows 10 pro. But then, I can't seem to find any place to buy windows 10 Pro key. Can I purchase a...
  3. Can I upgrade a PC with windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro using a windows 11 pro key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I upgrade a PC with windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro using a windows 11 pro key?: I have a PC with windows 7 pro that has hardware that is not capable of supporting window 11. Since windows 7 has already reached end of life, I wish to upgrade this PC to windows 10 pro. But then, I can't seem to find any place to buy windows 10 Pro key. Can I purchase a...
  4. Can I upgrade a PC with windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro using a windows 11 pro key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrade 11 Home to Pro using win 7 pro key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade 11 Home to Pro using win 7 pro key: This may seem a bit strange also a bit difficult to explain but I wonder if it can be done.Many years ago I purchased windows 7 Professional DVD to install on computer I assembled from parts.I subsequently destroyed that computer.I thought I had lost the DVD for Windows 7...
  6. Upgrade 11 Home to Pro using win 7 pro key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade 11 Home to Pro using win 7 pro key: This may seem a bit strange also a bit difficult to explain but I wonder if it can be done.Many years ago I purchased windows 7 Professional DVD to install on computer I assembled from parts.I subsequently destroyed that computer.I thought I had lost the DVD for Windows 7...
  7. Can install & activate windows 10 pro use windows 7 pro key. For business use?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can install & activate windows 10 pro use windows 7 pro key. For business use?: Hello.Can install & activate windows 10 pro use windows 7 pro key. For business use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-install-activate-windows-10-pro-use-windows-7/2dc779b9-7f7f-42e7-8850-572a9a17230f
  8. Can I use window 7 pro product key in window 10 pro.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I use window 7 pro product key in window 10 pro.: Can I use window 7 pro product as window 10 pro key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-window-7-pro-product-key-in-window-10/ec30493e-c1ce-4f97-a3eb-2dea2462c4aa
  9. Win 10 Pro downgraded to Win 7 Pro - Can I install Windows 10 Pro again ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro downgraded to Win 7 Pro - Can I install Windows 10 Pro again ?: Hey,I have a lot of ongoing work with HP All-in-one computers that were downgraded to Win 7 Pro by a seller. My company preffers to use Windows 10, is it legaly clear to install Windows 10 Pro in these computers once again ?...
  10. win 7 pro win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 7 pro win 10 pro: how do I upgrade from win 7 to win 10? I have product key for 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-pro-win-10-pro/931e1125-6737-4bec-821b-26fd3cc64bac