Windows 10: Can i use windows on a chromebook?

Discus and support Can i use windows on a chromebook? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I bought a chromebook, haven't received it yet. Its an acer 14 inch chromebook with 4gb ram and 32gb hard drive. I also have an internal hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulyjustin, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Can i use windows on a chromebook?

I bought a chromebook, haven't received it yet. Its an acer 14 inch chromebook with 4gb ram and 32gb hard drive. I also have an internal hard drive that i never ever used... it came with a new laptop but i changed that one with an ssd. Thus this hard drive though its a regular hard drive is not fast, well its 1tb. I also have that enclosure box as well. First off, does that mean i could use my chromebook with my 1tb internat hard drive since i have the enclosure box? Or i cannot do this?

Also i read you could actually use windows on chromebook but you need to download certain program etc. So could i do this on a chromebook if i want in the future? The thing is i know windows takes a good amount of space. But does 32gb mean its enough as long as i connect an external or the internal hard drive with enclosure on it? I know the simple thing is you could have just bought a windows computer but i wanted mainly to use it for streaming and watching videos and web browsing and downloading files. Of course i might have lot of files so i would need some type of usb stick or hard drive for it. But if i wanted to use windows in the future with the chromebook would it work? The thing is its an acer chromebook and the processor is an intel celeron but its quad core entry level so that would be fast enough? But if it was 2gb and say 16gb chromebook, it would not?

Also if i use windows, i have to buy a copy of windows 7 or 10. But how much would that cost? It really wouldn't matter to be much which windows i use etc. Also i assume i could not use a windows copy of an old laptop or desktop that i no longer use right? Thus imagine a laptop with windows that the computer no longer work anymore. I assume i cannot use that code on the back of the laptop on it right? But how much would it cost to download the program on it? Also im curious but could i use linux on chromebook or not? And would it cost money to do this? I heard linux was free a while back.

:)

paulyjustin, Mar 18, 2018

2. Recover key from image?

I downloaded a copy of Windows 10 Home. Bad thing is, there's no product key nor did I receive one from Microsoft upon download. How can I recover the key from an image that I have not installed?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

what can I use?, Mar 18, 2018
  3. can i use Paint on a tablet?

Can i use Paint on an android tablet? i am trying to put captions on photos. help please.

notsurprised(2), Mar 18, 2018
  4. Can i use windows on a chromebook?

I'm not aware of a way to get Windows on a Chromebook. It would likely perform horribly, based on their typical hardware specs. The 32 GB hard drive isn't a standard SATA drive, so they wouldn't be interchangeable. It's probably a moot point, but you would need a new license, and you'd need to find drivers as well, which may not exist.

I believe I have seen mentions of running Linux on a Chromebook. Linux is free (most of the distributions), but it is already running a type of trimmed down Linux already.

DeaconFrost, Mar 18, 2018
  5. Hey all just received my chromebook but did not open it yet. But would you guys suggest i keep it? Again main thing is to stream/download movies etc. Also could i use an internal hard drive thats 1tb with it if i have the enclosure? Thus use the 32gb in the system but use the 1tb internal hard drive as an external hard drive since i have enclosure? I say this because that way i dont have to buy a 64gb usb stick for it etc.

paulyjustin, Mar 19, 2018
  6. Superfly Win User
    That looks like a pretty cool notebook! And the hardware will most certainly run Windows 10 - but I have seen some complain about a 32GB SSD not being sufficient - Chromebooks are meant to run as Cloud-based - so depends what's on it regarding performance.

I would backup the OS with clonezilla and definitely try Win10 32-bit on there.

Superfly, Mar 19, 2018
  7. Chromebooks sit at the lowest end of the laptop spectrum. They're cheap. They're easy. They're perfect for grandma.

Did I say they're cheap? That's partly because they DON'T run Windows. That eliminates the Windows licensing cost.
    And because the OS is lightweight it can run on a low-resource computer ... such as a Chromebook.

But you don't put a high-resource OS on a low-resource computer.

Is it POSSIBLE to make Windows run on a Chromebook? Perhaps.
    Is it worthwhile? Absolutely not.

If you want Windows get a suitable laptop. A Chromebook is the wrong choice.

margrave55, Mar 20, 2018
  8. torre Win User

Can i use windows on a chromebook?

Margrave with the answer ! Agree.

If you do keep the Chromebook, would be interesting to know how it compares to a Windows laptop in terms of speed, programs, etc.

torre, Mar 20, 2018
  9. Berton Win User
    For storage look for a slot for a MicroSDXC memory card, same as used on SmartPhones and Tablets. My 2 Win10 Tablets have 32GB SSD drives and I add a 64GB MicroSDXC card.

Berton, Mar 20, 2018
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    This should be of interest:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/173353/how-to-run-windows-software-on-a-chromebook/

Depending on the exact model of Chromebook you have it may be possible to install Windows. But be aware it will not be a simple process. There is a link at the bottom of the page with more information. Read the instructions and understand them well. And heed all warnings.

Note that I have not done this, neither have I read all of the instructions. If you run into problems I will not be able to help you. If you read the instructions you will know more about this than I do.

Edit: I don't consider this a good idea, even if it works. If you want to run Windows, do so on a computer designed for the purpose.

LMiller7, Mar 20, 2018
  11. We already have that answer! My sister-in-law bought an HP Chromebook for her mother. It ran for a couple of years before giving trouble, after which we bought her a new one, an Acer.

Both of them were low-RAM and small disk (flash disk?) ... and cheap. I said earlier that this is suitable for grandma (or, in this case, 82-year-old mother-in-law). She does surf-n-email and some online card games. That's all. For this a Chromebook is adequate.

For anything more it's not. There's no real software available ... only the google-supplied apps. Good enough for grandma, but not for the rest of us.

Storage is tiny. Performance is slow. If you compute you need a real computer, not a wannabe Chromebook laptop.

margrave55, Mar 20, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    It's fascinating to see the "muscle car" and "minimalist" approaches to computing play out in this thread. To each his or her own, I say. Plenty of room in the Windows tent for all kinds of computing. Anybody here remember netbooks? I loved 'em, but they definitely played to a very narrow niche.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 20, 2018
  13. Wynona Win User

It ain't good enough for this great-grandma! Just sayin'.

Wynona, Mar 20, 2018
  14. My only confusion with the thread is that the OP already purchased the Chromebook, meaning they were already aware and in acceptance of it's limitations. It is good for what it was designed for...basic usage within the Google world.

DeaconFrost, Mar 20, 2018
  15. meebers Win User
    Different strokes for me, I set up Chrome OS and Linux on a "Windows" type computer. The asus lappy I am on now runs fairly good on 32GB memory with Win10 FCU. *Smile

meebers, Mar 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Can i use windows on a chromebook? - Similar Threads - chromebook

2. Why I can't sign in to my Chromebook it's always stock to my welcome and the sign in didn't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I can't sign in to my Chromebook it's always stock to my welcome and the sign in didn't...: I can't sign in. Maybe sign in temporary blocked.How can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-sign-in-to-my-chromebook-its-always/945199e7-6f09-4972-9969-80b57ea48a21
  3. Why I can't sign in to my Chromebook it's always stock to my welcome and the sign in didn't...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why I can't sign in to my Chromebook it's always stock to my welcome and the sign in didn't...: I can't sign in. Maybe sign in temporary blocked.How can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-cant-sign-in-to-my-chromebook-its-always/945199e7-6f09-4972-9969-80b57ea48a21
  4. Why I can't sign in to my Chromebook it's always stock to my welcome and the sign in didn't...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My wife’s new Chromebook froze up with recycled message stating to call bogus number. Tried.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My wife’s new Chromebook froze up with recycled message stating to call bogus number. Tried.: See image. Recording repeats itself continuously. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wifes-new-chromebook-froze-up-with-recycled/ef99d926-c4d6-44a9-9df2-db64b52097e8
  6. My wife’s new Chromebook froze up with recycled message stating to call bogus number. Tried.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My wife’s new Chromebook froze up with recycled message stating to call bogus number. Tried.: See image. Recording repeats itself continuously. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wifes-new-chromebook-froze-up-with-recycled/ef99d926-c4d6-44a9-9df2-db64b52097e8
  7. My wife’s new Chromebook froze up with recycled message stating to call bogus number. Tried.

8. Can I upgrade the STORAGE and RAM of my HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I upgrade the STORAGE and RAM of my HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE?: I have a 500 GB and 1TB HDD and some extra RAM, just wondering if I can upgrade my HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE with it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-the-storage-and-ram-of-my-hp/d0769f27-c369-4b03-aa12-968bd62bc494
  9. Can I upgrade the STORAGE and RAM of my HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE?

Can I upgrade the STORAGE and RAM of my HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE?: I have a 500 GB and 1TB HDD and some extra RAM, just wondering if I can upgrade my HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE with it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-the-storage-and-ram-of-my-hp/d0769f27-c369-4b03-aa12-968bd62bc494
  10. Can I upgrade the STORAGE and RAM of my HP Chromebook 11 G5 EE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade