Windows 10: Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives

Discus and support Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My computers crashed a few days ago - power failure - when everything was back up, my external hard drives were no longer visible on one PC in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kstavert, Dec 17, 2017.

1. kstavert Win User

Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives

My computers crashed a few days ago - power failure -

when everything was back up, my external hard drives were no longer
    visible on one PC in my network/homegroup

the files are still visible in homegroup - I just get an error when trying
    to access.

The message reads something like "it appears that everything is properly
    set up.. we just can't access the drives"

I tried a "fix" from a post in this forum and it didn't make any difference.

I have left homegroup and rejoined. tried turning firewall off

The same thing happened about a year ago... and i do not remember how
    I regained access ;(

I have checked all permissions / sharing settings... just clicked on the folder
    again and got this error message:

[Window Title]Open Folder[Content]\\SUPERCOMPUTER\Users\Karen2\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.[OK]

I will appreciate assistance as I constantly access the files in these external
    hard drives

:)

kstavert, Dec 17, 2017

2. How to find/set Network Credentials Windows 10

I have 4 computers on a home network

All but one are rebuilt - so may have been on

other networks/homegroups

I have external hard drives that i USED to be

able to access with/from all 4 computers

A power failure messed everything up and

I can no longer access the external drives -

a VERY IMPORTANT issue for me

I have been trying to locate network credentials

I've accessed credential manager and tried setting

the password to the same thing for all computers

Didn't work

There are also some devices listed that I no longer

own

Some of the computers do not show up for others

in the homegroup

in other words - it's a complete MESS

I REALLY need to get these computers connected and

able to access the external drives...

Can someone give me a step by step on how to clean

this mess up and connect these computers - most

especially - the external drives

I will greatly appreciate your help

thanks

Karen

Karen Stavert, Dec 17, 2017
  3. dragging/dropping files to external hard drive to load onto new W10 computer

I recently purchased a new Lenovo W10 computer and a My Passport 1TB external hard drive. I dragged/dropped the files/photos from my old Dell XP computer to the external hard drive and the files show up when clicking on the external hard drive when plugged
    into the Dell but do not show up when the external hard drive is plugged into the Lenovo computer. All that shows up when accessing the external hard drive on the Lenovo are the following: bin, Extras, WD Apps for Mac, and WD Apps for Windows folders, as
    well as User Manual, and WD Apps Setup. Help, how can I transfer my old files/photos from my Dell XP to the new Lenovo W10? Thanx.

Moved from IE8/XP

G. M. Brown, Dec 17, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Post the output of net view

bro67, Dec 17, 2017
  5. kstavert Win User
    Hi Bro67.
    Sorry... I do not know what you mean?

Thanks Karen

kstavert, Dec 17, 2017
  6. kstavert Win User
    I ran a troubleshooter on the pc that is connected to the
    external hard drives.

this is the outcome of the troubleshooting:
    Troubleshooting complete
    Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix
    all of the issues found. find more details below:

Problems found
    resource (peer-to-peer grouping) is online but isn't
    responding to connection attempts.

details:
    resource (peer-to-peer grouping) is online but isn't
    responding to connection attempts. Detected Detected The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on
    port 3587, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings,
    or because it might be temporarily unavailable.

Windows couldn’t find any problems with the firewall on your
    computer.
    Contact the service provider or owner of the remote system
    for further assistance, or try again later Completed

there is a homegroup box open that reads
    "Detecting Problems"

Waiting for network diagnostics to complete...
    Been running all night

?????

thanks
    Karen

kstavert, Dec 17, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Right Click in Explorer in your Documents folder to open Command and enter net view > netview.txt Then copy and paste that output to a post.

bro67, Dec 18, 2017
  8. kstavert Win User

I right clicked in my documents folder and do not
    see command or netview?

thank you

Karen

kstavert, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives - Similar Threads - longer access computers

2. Can't access external hard drive in file manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access external hard drive in file manager: I recently switched from a Mac to Windows 10, had been using my external hard drive fine, but I can't open it in file manager since getting my new PC. It connects, and it shows up in disk manager, but none of the previous fixes on this forum have worked so that I can access...
  3. Access to hard drive external to computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to hard drive external to computer: I recently bought a new desktop computer and loaded my data on to it from backups. I had a problem and wanted to access the hard drive from the old computer, so I installed it in a hard drive enclosure and plugged it into the new computer. However I cannot access the data on...
  4. Trouble accessing files on external hard drive

Trouble accessing files on external hard drive: I am am having trouble accessing files from an external hard drive. Getting 0x80004005 error message and other errors "can not access files". I have shared and given permissions for all the files but still no luck The external hard drive was one of a shared network of...
  5. External Hard Drive No Access

External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  6. Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive: Hi all, After a reboot yesterday, the system wants to do a scan & repair of hard drive D on start up. After waiting several hours, it does not progress past 1% complete. I am able to cancel it and log in as normal but performance very slow. I can still see drive D in...
  7. External hard drive stopped working on all computers

External hard drive stopped working on all computers: Hi, Tonight, my external hard drive stopped working on both my laptop and PC, so I'm wondering if there's anything i can do to get it working again, or at least recover the files on it? It makes the usual beep beep beep noise when putting it in (and a humming noise as if...
  8. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  9. External Hard Drives no longer working

External Hard Drives no longer working: Hi, having some really frustrating issues with my laptop and had to create a profile on this site as nothing seems to be working. I have an Acer Aspire running Windows 10 (version 1511, OS Build 10586.36). I have been travelling for a while so haven't updated for quite some...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...